Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Christopher Nolan coming to the MCU? Probably not, but let's discuss!

I've seen some articles over the last few days implying that Christopher Nolan is being looked at to possibly direct something for Marvel. I'm not gonna link the articles here just because these sites are unreliable and I don't want to give them any more clicks than necessary (We Got This Covered and Giant Freakin Robot etc). Just google "Christopher Nolan Marvel" if you're interested.

Basically take this as exactly what it is; a rumour from some websites with lame track records

But I thought it would be interesting to see what films people would like him to direct if it were true. I've seen people say Daredevil, but I don't think I'd be interested in seeing him doing a character that's aesthetically similar to Batman (street level, realistic, grounded, Miller inspired etc). By far and away Nolan's most interesting work has been his sci fi for me, and I think he could do something like Hickman's House of X and Power of X really well: The high concept sci fi and ambition parts any way. One drawback is that I don't think he does emotional storytelling or character work very well, so i think we'd be sacrificing great character for great visuals/effects. In a similar vein I think his ideas on evolution would be great, but if he tried any thing to do with minorities /POC metaphors there would be some cracks - Just saying that based on the films of his I've seen. I also wouldn't mind seeing his take on things like Sentinels and the Government taking on Mutants.

I could also see him doing something like Earth X, but I can't imagine the MCU doing something like that at this point.

What would you guys think of a Christopher Nolan led Marvel (not necessarily MCU) film? Is there any property you'd specifically like to see his take on?

EDIT: Changed wording to make it clear it does not have to strictly be in the already established MCU - float ideas just based on characters you think would compliment his style well.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 03-24-2021 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Contextualising

Ultimate Member

I doubt it, but if he did, he could do an alternate reality project. Use one of the comic book storylines where the MCU characters exist in an alternate universe, so Nolan can do whatever he wants and it only connects as much as he desires. Basically a What If? episode extended into a movie/mini-series

I could see Nolan working for Disney and doing a Disney property as a political move.

For example, Edward Norton did the Italian Job remake because he was contracted with Paramount Pictures for 5 films.

For example the Batman films paved the way for Inception.

I don't think he would work on a Marvel movie specifically but Disney is a possible yes.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

that moonknight solo series from a few years ago was pretty trippy with all the different realities/lives the various marc spector(s) were going through i think they could give that to nolan

BANNED

On paper it should not be a problem. Nolan would be great with properties like X-Men, Defenders and Daredevil. One of Nolan's first introduction to the grounded drama toned comic films came from watching X-Men 1, so it shows Nolan can at least take on some heavier parts of the .....a marvel universe

However Nolan is a driven film maker who is very on hands with his own vision. I don't see him working great with Kevin Fiege or using the MCU formula, something he has vaguely implied he was not a fan off. The best chance MCU ever had of getting him was during phase 1, which was still when MCU to some extent had creative freedom and not every film back then was exactly the same manufactured style or tone.

Also, I think Nolan should stay off comic films or even science fiction for a while after Tenet and TDKR , movies that I still enjoyed but at the same time felt, Nolan has began to paint himself to a wall with his film style and screen writing. As a film maker he peaked during TDK and Inception in the genre.

He is at a point in his career where he needs to reinvent himself again, Maybe get the Oscar best director nomination, he has never gotten. I doubt he would find that challenge with MCU movies where all what directors and writers do there is cross I's and T's.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I would give Nolan Legion. A character like him would be up his wheelhouse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I would give Nolan Legion. A character like him would be up his wheelhouse.
    I see Nolan very much like a Noah Hawley. From Inception and The Prestige, there is a good chance Nolan can do Legion justice for a 2.5 hour film but I dont see this happening, Legion is far too twisted , hard to get through and adult-minded conscious for the MCU even more than the Fox films that were r rated. There is a good but understandable reason Legion is on Hulu and Wandavision is on Disney plus even if both marvel shows are quite similar.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-24-2021 at 08:42 AM.

My intial reaction was hard pass.

But then I thought about it and either a supernatural character like Hellstrom or a gritty crime fighter like Punisher would actually be kind of fun from him.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

He did his super hero movies. He is too good a film maker to not pursue his own projects. It would be a waste of his talents to return to super hero properties.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He did his super hero movies. He is too good a film maker to not pursue his own projects. It would be a waste of his talents to return to super hero properties.
    I think the purpose of this thread is "What if ...?" because I do agree that he should do his own stuff.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I think the purpose of this thread is "What if ...?" because I do agree that he should do his own stuff.
    It feels to me the the very connected "House Style" of the MCU (which to me is a positive) is a detriment to having Nolan involved. If he were to take a property and make a film outside the MCU, that is one thing. But again, I think it is a waste, based on what he has done since Batman.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

As far as I know Nolan doesn't have an interest in doing any other superhero movies and even when it came to Batman it was never a given that he'd come back for the 2 sequels because he had to decide if he still had any story left to tell with the character. Nolan's not the guy you go to for a studio-driven movie. He makes only what he wants to make.

Given his penchant for darker and more cerebral material as well as what he can do visually, I'd love to see him tackle Magik and help her recover from the New Mutants travesty the way he helped Batman recover from Batman and Robin. His skill at creating breathtaking visuals with her portals and sorcery would be Magik indeed.

Ultimate Member

As others have pointed out, Marvel's house style might restrict him.

But I'd love to see him try out his hand at Thor.

I loved Thor Ragnarok but IMHO Thor's a character that needs some big screen re-definition while being faithful to the comics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    As others have pointed out, Marvel's house style might restrict him.

But I'd love to see him try out his hand at Thor.

I loved Thor Ragnarok but IMHO Thor's a character that needs some big screen re-definition while being faithful to the comics.
    Well some have complained about Ragnarok because the director was given too much leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Exactly that yeah. I'm also of the opinion that he should stick to his own creations as they're ultimately more interesting than superhero movies (including the TDK trilogy), but the thread is more of a "If he was undoubtedly directing a Marvel property, what would interest you most?". I should have been more clear!