Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have no problem with Rob posting that cover. I just question people voting for the worst cover in the contest just because it is different. I also am not saying that people can't vote for it because they dislike the artists style, but that appears to be the reason for some.
    But some people may not think it was the "worst".

Art is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But some people may not think it was the "worst".

Art is subjective.
    True, but it is inferior in many ways to the rest. Subjective does not mean there are no criteria or aesthetics. There is consensus in art as well. Especially comic book art. So if people feel that really is the best cover, I can only assume they dislike Allred's style. and voted for the one cover that does not have it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

True, but it is inferior in many ways to the rest. Subjective does not mean there are no criteria or aesthetics. There is consensus in art as well. Especially comic book art. So if people feel that really is the best cover, I can only assume they dislike Allred's style. and voted for the one cover that does not have it.
    Or they like seeing the embryonic form of what his art style would eventually grow into?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or they like seeing the embryonic form of what his art style would eventually grow into?
    Which would make it the least accomplished cover.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Perhaps the voters didn't think it was the "best" cover but that it was the "most interesting" cover (because it was atypical of his style), and they cast their votes in appreciation of learning something new. That's allowed. And yes, it you don't like an artist's particular style, then in your estimation the "best" cover would be one that is in some other style. That too is allowed.

It's all allowed. Nobody should have been prevented from voting for the worst cover. I am just expressing my opinions about those votes, which is also allowed.

Sorry for the confusion all! I didn't realise you guys had changed over to daylight saving, we (NZ) change over this weekend.

Congrats Rob, sorry Englehart

I have no problem with Rob posting that cover. I just question people voting for the worst cover in the contest just because it is different. I also am not saying that people can't vote for it because they dislike the artists style, but that appears to be the reason for some.
    You-oo are just all right by meee
    You-oo are just all right oh yah
    You-oo are just all right

Something something something
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    You-oo are just all right oh yah
    You-oo are just all right

Something something something
    Isn't that Jeesus?

Isn't that Jeesus?
    No way! You must have been smoking some doobies, brother!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I see what you did there
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    I dislike the "post your favorite cover by Artist X". They're too restrictive. I get it if an artist has just passed away, it's meant to be a commemoration, but boy, is it boring (IMO). Like a listicle.

Of course, I am speaking only for myself obviously. Accordingly, I sit these ones out, they just don't get me going.

I hope we see a return to topics that require/ inspire some creative thinking on my part!
    I understand your point, but some of the artist-themed contests have helped me gain knowledge and appreciation for some artists I never would've acquired on my own.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

You know I saw them in 1975. It was a free ride!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

Big Congratz Rob Allen!

Thanks for the Vote Icctrombone, Glad I help you decide to buy that Cover!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Invincible Member

Congrats, Rob!