Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by warlockofgreed View Post
    It is underwhelming and that is the fault of the book for not showing off its potential. (After this issue, not sure if Rictor can handle the stress of developing this magic, let alone a request from the QC, which may happen to create a spell to solve the Otherworld resurrections problem)

How would you make the concept of mutant magic more interesting?
    I don't plan to substitute the writer here but why not tell us more about the way mutation can express itself beyond the boundaries of scientific laws? why not start by involving more mutants that actually have been suggested to have a particular potential or affinity for magic/mysticism, Betsy and Meggan are good choices on the writer part and Rictor evolution is a nice surprise, lets add Selene and Magma, Ororo and Illyana, Mirage, Forge, Nightcrawler........ show us more, show us why, establish some practical stuff on data pages not just meaningless pontifications that lead no were and have to be taken at face value.
    Last edited by Daedra; 03-26-2021 at 07:59 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Mighty Member

Maybe they should have Magik take a look at that book. A mutant sorceress on the island and Rictor hasn’t even gone to her for help? It would be interesting to see Magik tutor him just like when she went back in time to have Strange tutor her.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

It is underwhelming and that is the fault of the book for not showing off its potential. (After this issue, not sure if Rictor can handle the stress of developing this magic, let alone a request from the QC, which may happen to create a spell to solve the Otherworld resurrections problem)

How would you make the concept of mutant magic more interesting?

He was very offputting, screaming about why it wasn't working....by selfishly exclaiming "ALL THE WORK I'VE DONE" well dude if you felt you abilities weren't up to par maybe enlist the services of the MANY X-men who are equipped to deal with mystical happenings. I also just realized Pixie would have been a much better additional to this title than literally everyone else on the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    He was very offputting, screaming about why it wasn't working....by selfishly exclaiming "ALL THE WORK I'VE DONE" well dude if you felt you abilities weren't up to par maybe enlist the services of the MANY X-men who are equipped to deal with mystical happenings. I also just realized Pixie would have been a much better additional to this title than literally everyone else on the cast.
    That was a bad showing for Rictor. His personality is very unlikeable on Excalibur.
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-26-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Honestly we know from interviews that Tini really wanted to write Apocalypse. Everyone else was probably mandated to her because editorial thought it would help sales. But Tini had no clue what to do with most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Honestly we know from interviews that Tini really wanted to write Apocalypse. Everyone else was probably mandated to her because editorial thought it would help sales. But Tini had no clue what to do with most of them.
    .... ok I get it, we all have to work to pay bills but writing about stuff that doesn't really pick your interest seems counterproductive..... I say this for the writer and the title sake.
    Last edited by Daedra; 03-26-2021 at 09:50 AM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Would you turn down an X-Men title though? After they accepted your pitch?

Would you turn down an X-Men title though? After they accepted your pitch?
    I'm not a writer, so I have no clue on how these things work, I'm a chef and once I turned down 2 job offers in a michelin star restaurant because I did not like stuff on the menu and the way they were doing things, I think some jobs can't be done if the proper enthusiasm isn't there. Customers usually can tell when your heart is not in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I don't plan to substitute the writer here but why not tell us more about the way mutation can express itself beyond the boundaries of scientific laws? why not start by involving more mutants that actually have been suggested to have a particular potential or affinity for magic/mysticism, Betsy and Meggan are good choices on the writer part and Rictor evolution is a nice surprise, lets add Selene and Magma, Ororo and Illyana, Mirage, Forge, Nightcrawler........ show us more, show us why, establish some practical stuff on data pages not just meaningless pontifications that lead no were and have to be taken at face value.
    Agreed on all your points. I would add Pixie, Toad or Pyro to this list as all their powers would be interesting to see how they react with magic. Pixie is half-fae, Welsh and has her sisters, what can happen here? Could Pyro use his powers to summon fire from a sigil of Surtur? Could Toad be able to do some due to his animal power and could it fit in with Kun’Lun? There is so much potential stories with all these characters. (And we still have no idea who has the Twilight Blade)

Have you ever read Justice League: No Justice? There is an interesting team made up of Wonder Woman, Dr Fate, Raven, Etrigan and Zatanna where they are in charge of bringing back magic on Colu (planet of Brainiac). It was a fun story in the miniseries and this kind of fun energy would be great in Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Maybe they should have Magik take a look at that book. A mutant sorceress on the island and Rictor hasn’t even gone to her for help? It would be interesting to see Magik tutor him just like when she went back in time to have Strange tutor her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    That was a bad showing for Rictor. His personality is very unlikeable on Excalibur.
    It would be fun to see Rictor, Magik, Selene and Forge have a chat at the Lighthouse or Green Lagoon about magic and exchange ideas on what practicing magic means to each other.

My assumption is without Apocalypse, he feels overwhelmed by it all, but that does not excuse his behaviour.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Rictor having anger issues and being a bit of a jerk is actually pretty in character for him, besides it makes sense he was frustrated because the only reason the spell wasn’t working was because Betsy was refusing to enter her body because she felt like a failure or something?

Which is weird because like an issue earlier she wasnt having any issues wanting to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Rictor having anger issues and being a bit of a jerk is actually pretty in character for him, besides it makes sense he was frustrated because the only reason the spell wasn’t working was because Betsy was refusing to enter her body because she felt like a failure or something?
    It was always up to our girl Betsy, that amateurish pseudo “spell” wasn’t going to do squat, as for Rictor......sorry but it’s back to astral projection 101 for our resident sorcerer’s apprentice
    Last edited by Daedra; 03-26-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Mighty Member

Which is weird because like an issue earlier she wasnt having any issues wanting to get back.
    She probably changed her mind off panel. Typical of the writing.

Agreed on all your points. I would add Pixie, Toad or Pyro to this list as all their powers would be interesting to see how they react with magic. Pixie is half-fae, Welsh and has her sisters, what can happen here? Could Pyro use his powers to summon fire from a sigil of Surtur? Could Toad be able to do some due to his animal power and could it fit in with Kun’Lun? There is so much potential stories with all these characters. (And we still have no idea who has the Twilight Blade)

Have you ever read Justice League: No Justice? There is an interesting team made up of Wonder Woman, Dr Fate, Raven, Etrigan and Zatanna where they are in charge of bringing back magic on Colu (planet of Brainiac). It was a fun story in the miniseries and this kind of fun energy would be great in Excalibur.
    excellent choice, I loved JL: no justice...... tonight I'm gonna re read it

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    There is no doubts on his personality, but when you get frustrated that does not give you an excuse to be rude to people (he swore at them all). I am surprised no one called him out because the way he spoke to them, even if they understood his frustration.

Also, if all of Excalibur are part of this coven, why are they not coming up with ideas to try and help with the ritual? They have all read the grimoire so should have sufficient knowledge to support Rictor.