Extraordinary Member

Default Who's Who Omnibus Coming in April

At last, the Who's Who in DC Comics is coming in omnibus format on April 13, 2021.

Collects Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #1-26 (1985), Who's Who Update 1987 #1-5 (1987), Who's Who Update 1988 #1-4 (1988), plus material from Action Comics Annual #2 (1987), Batman Annual #13, Blackhawk Annual #1 (1989), Detective Comics Annual #2 (1988), Dr. Fate Annual #1 (1989), Green Arrow Annual #2, Justice League Annual #3 (1987), Secret Origins Annual #3, Swamp Thing Annual #5, The Flash Annual #3 (1987 series), The New Titans Annual #5 (1995), The Question Annual #2 (1988), and Wonder Woman Annual #2 (1988).

https://www.amazon.com/Whos-Who-Omni...7950599X&psc=1

I think I own all of those from when they originally were published.

Not sure if I may have skipped an annual or two, but I don't think so.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I wonder if there's any possibility of them including Xum's additions.

You know, of anything that I thought should simply be digitized, it was this.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Awesome! As a kid the Who's Who and the Crisis were my gateway into the magical DC Universe.

I wish they would release a new series, but then again...when I started collecting comics it was titles galore (a dog could get their own comic run), very different from today.

DC needs a new Who's Who i hate that they create these new characters and we have no idea what their powers are.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    DC needs a new Who's Who i hate that they create these new characters and we have no idea what their powers are.
    The internet has largely made things like Who's Who redundant. I would love them to keep publishing these things, but I understand that the demand is likely low and this is squarely aimed at the nostalgia market.

That said, the giant DC Encyclopedias that they keep publishing DK are extremely popular with my students.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    You know, of anything that I thought should simply be digitized, it was this.
    At least the first volume is.
    And several of the add-ons from the Annuals.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The internet has largely made things like Who's Who redundant. I would love them to keep publishing these things, but I understand that the demand is likely low and this is squarely aimed at the nostalgia market.

That said, the giant DC Encyclopedias that they keep publishing DK are extremely popular with my students.
    Ironically, I think one reason the characters from the '80s tend to be the most iconic versions is probably because of the Who's Who.
    It created a time capsule with a definitive version that writers, artists and fans can go back to easily.

Most internet sites can be modified by anybody on a whim.
    And if the files are ever-changing, to keep up with current stories, you couldn't go back to a previous entry of the character to avoid spoilers or to see them reflect the character during a different decade, era or timeline.

Also, if the internet shut down tomorrow, we'd still have the Who's Whos.
    (I'm one of those people that fear a 'burning of Alexandria' if the internet ever becomes the single source for everything and physical documentation was to cease completely.)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.