Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    They don't like the Avengers and (understandably) resent the way Marvel downplayed the X-Men until they got the movie rights back.

It's why we shouldn't base what we like on their popularity or the amount of promotion they get. Someone who thinks the Avengers are boring hopefully didn't find them any less boring when Marvel was promoting them more heavily.

And on-topic, Scarlet Witch wasn't a bad character before she became famous, she just was (in my opinion) a good character who wasn't particularly famous. I have no problem saying "West Coast Avengers" was less popular than "X-Men" but I would rather see my favorite character have a big part in "West Coast Avengers" than a small part in a very popular story like "House of M."
    I think X-fans should be mad, but at Marvel Comics, not the Avengers

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I am mad at marvel, especially with their shamelss way of denying their creative decisions didnīt have the movie rights in mind and while I am not a big fan of the Avengers franchise I have enjoyed their stories, especially the Kurt Busiek and Bendis era what did bother me was all those events marvel did to put Avengers vs X-men stories,I think this only polarized the fandom and we are still seeing the effects today. I have always advocated for a more unified MU because this allows for greater asnd more interesting storylines while allowing each franchise their space to do their stories but only when itīs done in a balanced way, not to put down a franchise while artificialy elevating the other.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Ultimate Member

I didn't think the X-Men being marginalized by Marvel Comics was a good thing at all. Marvel was being petty about the rights, and as a result the comics and the fans suffered.

I feel we as fans shouldn't fall to that division. And, I feel one thing I've learned from this debacle is Marvel shouldn't have one team over the other. There's room for both

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I am mad at marvel, especially with their shamelss way of denying their creative decisions didnīt have the movie rights in mind and while I am not a big fan of the Avengers franchise I have enjoyed their stories, especially the Kurt Busiek and Bendis era what did bother me was all those events marvel did to put Avengers vs X-men stories,I think this only polarized the fandom and we are still seeing the effects today. I have always advocated for a more unified MU because this allows for greater asnd more interesting storylines while allowing each franchise their space to do their stories but only when itīs done in a balanced way, not to put down a franchise while artificialy elevating the other.
    Agreed. Marvel being petty, especially from 2014 on was why some games I played did not get the characters or content I wanted. X-Men and F4 suffered from it. And fans didn't get to enjoy their favorites. Especially in games and merchandise. Merchandise still hasn't fully recovered. But, the neon X-Men funkos were just put up on Target and sold out immediately. And they are just on pre-order. It's a shame because I wanted the Rogue one.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Agreed. Marvel being petty, especially from 2014 on was why some games I played did not get the characters or content I wanted. X-Men and F4 suffered from it. And fans didn't get to enjoy their favorites. Especially in games and merchandise. Merchandise still hasn't fully recovered. But, the neon X-Men funkos were just put up on Target and sold out immediately. And they are just on pre-order. It's a shame because I wanted the Rogue one.
    Exactly, their insistence that this didnīt have anything to do with the movie rights just made it more frustrating and even when they got the rights back they still cancelled the cartoons who were getting interesting without any real reason, but well, lest hope politics stop interfering with the comics in the future.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 03-29-2021 at 04:14 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Exactly, their insistence that this didnīt have anything to do with the movie rights just made it more frustrating and even when they got the rights back they still cancelled cartoons who were getting interesting without any real reason.
    Yep, and there's still no news on any new cartoons at all.

Ultimate Member

Yep, and there's still no news on any new cartoons at all.
    Idk if Marvel is interested in cartoons right now

I do like how the Avengers were given the chance to gain popularity during the last 15 to 20 years. I just wish it didn't come at X-Men's expense

lest hope they do better or at least admit what they were doing but thatīs a long shot.

At the moment I am happy with the direction in the comics, they just need to take a little more advantage on the potential with the actual status quo to make new stories with the characters and lest hope the MCU takes note of Fox mistakes to bring the characters in wholesome way, I am happy Kevin Feige already knows and has a linking to the X-men so better things will come.

Ultimate Member

lest hope they do better or at least admit what they were doing but thatīs a long shot.

At the moment I am happy with the direction in the comics, they just need to take a little more advantage on the potential with the actual status quo to make new stories with the characters and lest hope the MCU takes note of Fox mistakes to bring the characters in wholesome way, I am happy Kevin Feige already knows and has a linking to the X-men so better things will come.
    I hope neither group overshadows the other in the MCU tbh. There should be room for both as well as Spidey and other minor characters.

Of course the comics should be the same too IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Idk if Marvel is interested in cartoons right now

I do like how the Avengers were given the chance to gain popularity during the last 15 to 20 years. I just wish it didn't come at X-Men's expense
    It wasn't Avengers vs. X-Men, they just went with the property they had in the films and strong armed the rights out of Fox's hands. They did manage to get the rights back. Avengers just became popular in the same way X-Men did over decades ago now. Their stories were exposed to audiences outside of comics nerdom. These stories always had potential to have wide appeal. They just needed put in a format easily accessible to everyone.

Now that they have the rights back, the merch and games stuff has lifted. And will get stronger in the coming years.

I don't know what they'll do about animated. It might just be that they are deciding where to put that. Before they were putting them on Disney XD and Fox channels. Now they have Disney+ and Hulu. They might just be deciding between broadcast tv or streaming.

Ultimate Member

It wasn't Avengers vs. X-Men, they just went with the property they had in the films and strong armed the rights out of Fox's hands. They did manage to get the rights back. Avengers just became popular in the same way X-Men did over decades ago now. Their stories were exposed to audiences outside of comics nerdom. These stories always had potential to have wide appeal. They just needed put in a format easily accessible to everyone.

Now that they have the rights back, the merch and games stuff has lifted. And will get stronger in the coming years.

I don't know what they'll do about animated. It might just be that they are deciding where to put that. Before they were putting them on Disney XD and Fox channels. Now they have Disney+ and Hulu. They might just be deciding between broadcast tv or streaming.
    We are getting What If?, so that's something I guess

I hope neither group overshadows the other in the MCU tbh. There should be room for both as well as Spidey and other minor characters.

Of course the comics should be the same too IMO!
    Unlike the comics the MCU has done well letting most of itīs characters shine, I was really impressed how they linked the Guardians of the Galaxy with Thanos, the Avengers and Wakanda to make an epic movie crossover that actually made sense and had space for heartfelt moments, itīs great when the writers take off the shackles of the "A, B or C character categories to focus instead on making a good story and even those characters who didnīt get much to do on the first phases are getting their own series and movies so I think they will do well, this kind of mix of movies and series itīs exactly what a franchise like the X-men will need to be presented in a more accurate way on the movies and it will allow for time and space for the less known X-men characters and seeing them interacting with the rest of the MCU is a plus for me
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 03-29-2021 at 04:50 PM.

unlike the comics the MCU has done well letting most of itīs characters shine and even those who didnīt get much to do on the first phases are getting their own series and movies so I think they will do well, this kind of mix of movies and series itīs exactly what a franchise like the X-men will need to be presented in a more accurate way on the movies and it will allow for time and space for the less known X-men characters and seeing them interacting with the rest of the MCU is a plus for me
    I hope they get Rogue right this time. It'd be nice for her to have the spirit she had in comics and in the cartoons.

Yes thatīs the thing we missed most her, Storm, Jean,Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pyde, Banshee, Selene et all, their personality was completely missing and you canīt really relate or get interested in the characters if you donīt know them. I like Ana Paquin and I think she did well with what she was given but that just wasnīt Rogue, same with Mystique and Moira.

So far I think the most accurate characters were Wolverine, Proffesor X, Hank Mckoy and sometimes Magneto but I believe this is more thanks to Fassbender than the script to be honest, he wanted the writers and editors to put a little more effort in getting the characters story right, with magneto and the otherīs and Kevin Feige made the same comment so I count it as the main flaw of the Fox X-men franchise, it could have been so much better than it was but it wasnīt because they didnīt appreciate what they had.

The Silver Age comics I've read weren't great for female characters
    This was my introduction to these characters and Marvel in general.

MARVEL jto.jpg

Made in the 70's reprinting some stories from the 60's, it's why I'm still a fan today.