Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    Ultimate Member

Tbh when I first encountered her I didn't understand how exactly her powers worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    well, since i believe we're talking about the MCU, before the witch retcon she was just a regular human granted with tk and tp thanks to the experiments with the mind stone, (with this move, they made her a ''second'' Jean, which i think almost everyone knows, since the powers comic Wanda had in her first appareances were probability manipulation or bad luck.

With that said, i think turning MCU Wanda into telepath/telekinetic was probably the best choice at that moment, because before the Dr Strange movie, the MCU wasn't really that invested in their magic lore and they probably were thinking that the 'probability manipulation' power will be to complicated (the Deadpool movie did a great job with Domino)

and it's not really that weird for a magic user to have sorf of tp/tk, it is one of the most common abilities, but it's true that those powers belong to Jean.
    Zaaaamn I didn't know that. lol
    Now she's pretending to be Jean Grey...
    Lawds...
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Tbh when I first encountered her I didn't understand how exactly her powers worked.
    I honestly understood her powers more when she just had the mutant "hex" power than the rules of magic in Marvel in general.

I recently reread Bendis's "New Avengers" run where he proudly stated that he was "rewriting how magic operates in the MU" and I am still confused on what he actually did.

Outside of some crazy fonts in the corner of the panel reading "Book of Vishanti, page 121" whenever Dr. Strange or Voodoo cast a spell I didn't see any actual explanation as to how magic now worked. Still seemed as random as ever.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I honestly understood her powers more when she just had the mutant "hex" power than the rules of magic in Marvel in general.

I recently reread Bendis's "New Avengers" run where he proudly stated that he was "rewriting how magic operates in the MU" and I am still confused on what he actually did.

Outside of some crazy fonts in the corner of the panel reading "Book of Vishanti, page 121" whenever Dr. Strange or Voodoo cast a spell I didn't see any actual explanation as to how magic now worked. Still seemed as random as ever.
    I think the magic is a bit "go along with it", if that makes sense. From what I understand, Scarlet Witch manipulates probability, so events can become more or less likely. Recent comics have expanded her powers to include many other abilities

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Sooo her MCU powers are basically Jean Greys
    No, she has chaos magic and everything she could do there. Plus gives people visions of the future. If anything, I'm sure it's tied more to the fortune teller stereotype.

If you go back and watch AoU she gives them visions of things that happen later.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Sooo her MCU powers are basically Jean Greys
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    well, since i believe we're talking about the MCU, before the witch retcon she was just a regular human granted with tk and tp thanks to the experiments with the mind stone, (with this move, they made her a ''second'' Jean, which i think almost everyone knows, since the powers comic Wanda had in her first appareances were probability manipulation or bad luck.

With that said, i think turning MCU Wanda into telepath/telekinetic was probably the best choice at that moment, because before the Dr Strange movie, the MCU wasn't really that invested in their magic lore and they probably were thinking that the 'probability manipulation' power will be to complicated (the Deadpool movie did a great job with Domino)

and it's not really that weird for a magic user to have sorf of tp/tk, it is one of the most common abilities, but it's true that those powers belong to Jean.
    Zaaaamn I didn't know that. lol
    Now she's pretending to be Jean Grey...
    Lawds...
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    No, she has chaos magic and everything she could do there. Plus gives people visions of the future. If anything, I'm sure it's tied more to the fortune teller stereotype.

If you go back and watch AoU she gives them visions of things that happen later.
    Indeed Again to Support the Arguments in Video Format in vivid detail Why Wanda in the MCU is Not Jean Grey!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Ultimate Member

Calling Wanda the MCU Jean grey is like calling Sam the MCU Warren Worthington III

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Calling Wanda the MCU Jean grey is like calling Sam the MCU Warren Worthington III
    That'll be next lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed Again to Support the Arguments in Video Format in vivid detail Why Wanda in the MCU is Not Jean Grey!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post

Err, I don't think you may realized but BroHomo is most likely not interested in engaging in any sort of actual discussion. They are most likely just having a giggle out of saying stuff to rile you up because you like Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Err, I don't think you may realized but BroHomo is most likely not interested in engaging in any sort of actual discussion. They are most likely just having a giggle out of saying stuff to rile you up because you like Wanda.
    Most likely. But it's not something I'm mad at. I think they like spending time with us too.

BANNED

It's a bit rich to accuse Wanda of being a Jean ripoff when Marvel has trotted out dozens of characters with some combination of Jean's look, powers, or Phoenix connection, and all of them have been met by the fanbase with a resounding meh, because all of them fail to capture the je ne sais quoi that made Jean resonate with fans. Wanda feels like Jean to an extent because she DOES have that quality, far more so than Hope or Quentin Quire or Phoenix Thor could ever have, but she still has a original backstory that's a lot more fleshed out than Jean's was, and Marvel hasn't saw fit yet to devalue her gimmick by passing it around to inferior characters, yet.

Ultimate Member

Personally I'd say Wanda is way more entertaining than Jean, but that's subjective

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    If there's a refusal to acknowledge the blatant similarities then there's no point :/
    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's a bit rich to accuse Wanda of being a Jean ripoff when Marvel has trotted out dozens of characters with some combination of Jean's look, powers, or Phoenix connection, and all of them have been met by the fanbase with a resounding meh, because all of them fail to capture the je ne sais quoi that made Jean resonate with fans. Wanda feels like Jean to an extent because she DOES have that quality, far more so than Hope or Quentin Quire or Phoenix Thor could ever have, but she still has a original backstory that's a lot more fleshed out than Jean's was, and Marvel hasn't saw fit yet to devalue her gimmick by passing it around to inferior characters, yet.
    Err Zut??
    Referring to the 616 version? Caaause for example... no one knows for sure who were the Twins real parents while Jeans Family....
    GrindrStone(D)