Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The biggest problem with American comics is the distribution. It's not politics, it's not comics are bad or all that nonsense, the distribution model as it is isn't working very well.
    I think pricing and Format are also a problem.

4-5 Dollar for floppy that usually only contains 1/6 of a story, is imo not a format that appeals to hard core fans and collectors, but not really to the general audience (or impulse buyers).
    Last edited by Aahz; 03-26-2021 at 10:43 AM.

let's see if this equates to cheaper prices. I suspect just mroe material thrown at the wall instead though.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

It'll be cheaper for dealers to order from Penguin Random House. They're also offering free shipping. There should be a plan to get some comics into larger retailers. It'll be interesting as this could end up changing U.S. comics in the long run.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    There should be a plan to get some comics into larger retailers. It'll be interesting as this could end up changing U.S. comics in the long run.
    Like I said, I don't think that floppies are really a good format for any retailers apart from comic shops.
    If the goal is to get more comics to larger retailers, I think a change of the format (meaning either more pages or shorter stories) will be necessary.

Floppies aren't convenient for casual buyers, shops where you can't have pull list are not convenient for hardcore fans and collectors.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, there was absolutely no excuse for what happened last April. Distributors were allowed to stay open, and shops could still sell stock online and do home delivery. So they didn't need to shut. Other magazines still got to the shops on time so there's no reason comics couldn't. He closed, because the business wasn't solvent. Based on those withheld payments, I bet they were about to go bust, and he used the pandemic as an excuse to buy some time. DC's immediate move to set up new distributors, and now Marvel defecting to Penguin, will give Diamond what they deserve. The chickens have come to roost!
    Quoted for truth.

Dumb decisions have consequences. Diamond is finding this out the hard way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

4-5 Dollar for floppy that usually only contains 1/6 of a story, is imo not a format that appeals to hard core fans and collectors, but not really to the general audience (or impulse buyers).
    Yeah, that's a problem too.

Mighty Member

So how will this change in the long run

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think pricing will still stay an issue too unless Disney/Marvel corporate steps in and makes some aggressive moves over the comics division. Isn't Ike Perlmutter still in charge there?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-27-2021 at 09:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think pricing will still stay an issue too unless Disney/Marvel corporate steps in and makes some aggressive moves over the comics division. Isn't Ike Perlmutter still in charge there?
    What's the issue with pricing?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Then you have your writers do a story that takes ONE issue. Even if that means 40-100 for what $7-10.

I know folks fuss about price-I offer this
    Miles Morales (Marvel Spider-Man) (Little Golden Book) Hardcover – Picture Book, September 1, 2020
    Publisher : Golden Books (September 1, 2020)
    Language : English
    Hardcover : 24 pages
    Best Sellers Rank: #4,619 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
    #35 in Children's Superhero Fiction
    #385 in Children's Action & Adventure Books (Books)
    Falcon, Widow, Wakanda, Black Panther, Avengers and Cap America have these.

Along with

World of Reading:Falcon Fear of Flying (Level 2 Early Reader): Level 2
    Publisher : Marvel Press (February 2, 2016)
    Language : English
    Paperback : 32 pages

The library version of this retails for $30 in fact BOTH his books go for that much.

IDW Star Trek issue #1 HARDCOVER $12 each for ONE issue. My library has all 12 issues.

In fact Marvel has done the same with Spider-Man, Hulk, FF and Avengers.

Yes those are for kids but still someone is buying them.

ALSO-no one is complaining about subscriptions. My Miles Morales run only cost me $23.

I get GQ-2 years at $48. The books are $9 dollars each. 24 issues times 9 is 216. I saved $168 bucks. If I keep 6-I still got my money worth.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    What's the issue with pricing?
    4-5$ for ~20 Page comic, that usually doesn't contain a full story is a pretty hefty price for something you can read in about ten minutes.

With other forms of entertainment (novels, dvds, steaming services ...) are way cheaper for the amount of entertainment you get.

Or compare it with Manga, a trade paperback for a Manga costs about as much as two floppies.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

4-5$ for ~20 Page comic, that usually doesn't contain a full story is a pretty hefty price for something you can read in about ten minutes.

With other forms of entertainment (novels, dvds, steaming services ...) are way cheaper for the amount of entertainment you get.

Or compare it with Manga, a trade paperback for a Manga costs about as much as two floppies.
    And some of the streaming services are $6 or $7 a month, even though I sometimes can't find anything to watch

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And some of the streaming services are $6 or $7 a month, even though I sometimes can't find anything to watch
    But even if you just watch one season of a single show per year or watch just one movie per month, you are already getting way more minutes of entertainment per $ than with comics.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The price is industry standard. I don't see Marvel changing that.

Mangas have a different structure that somehow manages to treat their artists worse than they do here that helps alleviate costs.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Isn't manga also usually black and white and printed on inferior paper? Both things that would make it cheaper to produce?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman