Thread: Cover art theme

All-New Member

Default Cover art theme

First post and newbie comic fan. Long story short I recently got into Batman after playing the Arkham series games and being blown away by the stories and universe. I didn’t know where to start so I got Year One, Two and Three followed by some other comics. Around this time I got into collecting the Three Jokers comics, and it reminded me of the Killing Joke cover art which I also got. Then I discovered Wonder Woman Rebirth number one as well as Suicide Squad Rebirth number one. I don’t know what to call this style of cover other than “Peekaboo”. Do you guys have any suggestions for other covers following this style? Do you guys collect cover art themes? Thanks.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If you like WW I'd check out WW by Greg Rucka. If you like SS you should get the John Ostrander and Ales Kot issues. I can only imagine the mind-boggling quality drop of reading Year One, Year Two and Year Three. If you're into line wide covers I'll do some research on Saturday since I have some good ideas

Incredible Member

All the Rebirth oneshots' covers were just the face of the titular character or a very very close shot of them.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

All the Rebirth #1 covers are portrait but not all of them are peekaboo

Does Batman Rebirth #1 counts as peekaboo or just boo? ^^

Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-25-2021 at 01:57 PM.

All-New Member

Thanks for the replies, I had no idea most if not all the Rebirth covers were the style I'm after. As for the story I've heard varying opinions on the Rebirth series themselves. I'm looking to delve into Wonder Woman anyway so I'll look into those suggestions on where to start.

As for the covers, my line of thinking was from looking at the Three Jokers Hawaiian Shirt variant vs. The Killing Joke cover. Then the Crowbar cover vs. WW Rebirth #1 with her holding the sword. The SS one is with Harley Quinn holding photos in front of her face. The art looks a bit different than the other covers but I figured it goes well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyyy View Post
    First post and newbie comic fan. Long story short I recently got into Batman after playing the Arkham series games and being blown away by the stories and universe. I didn’t know where to start so I got Year One, Two and Three followed by some other comics. Around this time I got into collecting the Three Jokers comics, and it reminded me of the Killing Joke cover art which I also got. Then I discovered Wonder Woman Rebirth number one as well as Suicide Squad Rebirth number one. I don’t know what to call this style of cover other than “Peekaboo”. Do you guys have any suggestions for other covers following this style? Do you guys collect cover art themes? Thanks.
    While I personally do not collect based on art themes, many people do, so don't feel it is weird or anything.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Codyyy View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I had no idea most if not all the Rebirth covers were the style I'm after. As for the story I've heard varying opinions on the Rebirth series themselves. I'm looking to delve into Wonder Woman anyway so I'll look into those suggestions on where to start.

As for the covers, my line of thinking was from looking at the Three Jokers Hawaiian Shirt variant vs. The Killing Joke cover. Then the Crowbar cover vs. WW Rebirth #1 with her holding the sword. The SS one is with Harley Quinn holding photos in front of her face. The art looks a bit different than the other covers but I figured it goes well enough.
    Okay for more character portraits holding up something (though it will be in various pose/angle/shot) it will be Aquaman, Nightwing, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, Green Lantern Rebirth #1

There's also the original Green Lantern Rebirth

Sometimes there are a set of variant covers showing portraits but that's harder to track or remember and I don't know if it's limited or not. This one's for Catwoman #2 in 2018
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-25-2021 at 10:03 PM.