Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Funniest tv show

Doesn't have to be your favorite, but which tv show is, in your opinion, the funniest of all time?

For me, it has to be The Golden Girls. Excellent writing and performed to perfection by four extremely talented and funny actresses. Again, it's not my favorite show (it's high on the list) but nothing has made me laugh over the years like this show.

What about you?

In America; Seinfeld and The Simpsons. The Family Guy has also been consistently funny. And I would give props to The Office. Cleverest show is The Venture Bros.
    But the funniest show of all time, bar none, is Monty Python's Flying Circus.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

20th century Simpsons.

Thirty seconds without a laugh was very unusual.

My favorite comedy of all time is WKRP in Cincinnati, though.

What is with the The Golden Girls thing? Is it just because of Deadpool? Because I really don't remember it being mentioned much before nothing against anyone who likes it I'm just wondering what made it popular again.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Doesn't have to be your favorite, but which tv show is, in your opinion, the funniest of all time?

For me, it has to be The Golden Girls. Excellent writing and performed to perfection by four extremely talented and funny actresses. Again, it's not my favorite show (it's high on the list) but nothing has made me laugh over the years like this show.

What about you?
    I get the difference between one's favorite sitcom vs. one's vote for the funniest.

All in the Family will likely always be my favorite sitcom with Soap also very high up there, but while those were both hilarious, I also like them because of the characters, relationships, and stories.

But as far as funniest TV show -- just pure stick-the-landing joke machines -- I'd also go with The Golden Girls as well as Will and Grace. I can't say their stories were as memorable or affecting as the above two mentioned, but both GG & W&G excelled in uproarious racy dialogue, which I happen to like.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    What is with the The Golden Girls thing? Is it just because of Deadpool? Because I really don't remember it being mentioned much before nothing against anyone who likes it I'm just wondering what made it popular again.
    Reruns are on pretty frequently, so its not like it ever went away or anything. And I've been watching it on and off since the mid-2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Reruns are on pretty frequently, so its not like it ever went away or anything. And I've been watching it on and off since the mid-2000s.
    I know reruns being on but like I don't remember anyone really talking about it before at least not that much now it seems everyone talks about it it's on t shts Deadpool etc.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

What about you?
    I've been watching scenes from the Big Bang Theory on youtube and it seems very funny but I suspect it's one of those shows that seems hilarious in short clips but would wear thin for me at a half hour every week.

When I was a kid, I found the Honeymooners and the Honeymooners segments on the Jackie Gleason show so funny breathing was becoming a problem but the culture has changed so much that a lot of what made it funny would be lost on an audience now.

The Jeffersons would be another great choice. The Golden Girls is definitely a great choice.

Another would be the Carol Burnett show, especially when Tim Conway became a regular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqE_WmagjY&t=4s

The main reason Carol Burnett, Vicky Lawrence and Dick Van Dyke were cracking up in their skits was because the stuff Tim Conway was saying wasn't in the script at all. The skit wasn't working and he would just start ad-libbing, saying things you weren't even supposed to be able to say on television at the time.

I'll go with the Carol Burnett show with the caveat that it's only after Conway became a regular.

I would maybe go with the Honeymooners as my favorite but even that is B.S. because things that are really funny just get ruined by trying to nitpick what was a little funnier than what.
    Power with Girl is better.

For me, it was always classics like Cheers or Night court. Even Benson was great.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

For me, it is usually The Simpsons

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

simpsons' prime era is the top tier i think

also seinfeld and the larry sanders show rank decently

Awesome! Since animation is allowed, these would be my choices...

TDI/TDA/TDWT
    (especially when Courtney was brought back)

Along with some personal favorites:

• 6Teen

• Dexter's Laboratory

• OG PPG (1998)

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-26-2021 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    For me, I watched it when it originally aired.

As for it's renewed popularity, it probably has to do with it's popularity among lbgt crowd. Whenever I see a tribute to GG these days, the focus seems to be on how they had shows dedicated to lbgt (although the show also had a lot of jokes at their expense).

Also, Betty White's renewed popularity exploded a few years ago. Who knows? I'm just glad it's still appreciated for being so funny after all these years. It's timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Awesome! Since animation is allowed, these would be my choices...

TDI/TDA/TDWT
    (especially when Courtney was brought back)

Along with some personal favorites:

• 6Teen

• Dexter's Laboratory

• OG PPG (1998)

These are all great shows
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Taxi also had some LOL moments, usually involving Jim.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!