All-New Member

Default Black adam movie success on Dwayne Johnson (the Rock)

The more i hear about this movie the more my concern grew. It seem to me that they hoping Black adam would be a success bese on Johnson's star power than his acting skill. They know Black adam is connected to shazam why not just introduce him shazam movie sequel if the character get positive responses than maybe his own movie. Why i heard is that Johnson wanted to play Black adam than warner bros announced a Black adam movie. Seem to me they didn't any attention to do a Black adam movie until Johnson. He might be good as Black Adam since the movie comic book adaptation there's going a lot of actions. More Johnson's movie are more action/adventure thing i never seem him play a more dramatic role. With Black adam character need a actor who make the audience feel sorry for him and understand his motivation. unlike Shazam this movie will be base on a villain/anti-hero. Anyway i think warner bros hoping Black adam will be success Johnson's star power rather than his acting skill.

BANNED

I really doubt we would of got a Black Adam movie without Dwayne Johnson pushing for one. I don’t think he’s the best actor and I often feel like he plays himself more often then not in each of the films he’s in. But I’m optimistic about this, I like the JSA involvement and I’m curious to see where it goes.

Hoping more Scorpion King esque less Jumanji

Funny thing is, the Rock can actually be a fair actor when he wants to be. No Tom Hanks of course, but better than a lot of his roles would indicate. Check out Southland Tales; he plays a neurotic actor who's basically a hyper-nervious, 90 pound weakling in the body of a Hollywood action movie star. There's also Be Cool, where he plays a gay bodyguard.

Granted, there's still a whole lot of Johnson in those roles, but you'll get a better performance out of him in those movies than his action films.

And of course WB is banking of the Rock's star power more than his acting skill; he's not a big name because of how well he plays Hamlet yknow? But he wanted to make this movie, he fought to get it off the ground, and he's clearly invested in both it and the character so I won't be surprised at all if he turns in a quality performance.

I have no faith in WB and expect Black Adam to be, at best, a vaguely passable film (and more likely a straight up bad one). But I don't expect the Rock to be the problem, the casting rarely is with the DCEU, it's almost always the director, writers, and WB itself sticking their noses in.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

the rock makes blockbusters
    he is this decades Arnold a modern day moviestar

the films will be successful

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Who is this Dwayne Johnson and what has he to do with the Rock? Is that the movie with James Bond senior and Ghost Rider?

BANNED

I really don’t think people go to the movies only off star power anymore either. I think Will Smith would highlight that. There might be some who go check it out because The Rock is in it, but I definitely don’t think Star power alone is gonna make this movie profit. I definitely hope with how long it’s been talked about the wait is an indication of a great film.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Yes Black Adam is happening because of the Rock but that isn't a bad thing. Big name stars using their power and influence to get movies made is nothing new.

A Black Adam film has been Johnson's passion project for years. Johnson also helped Shazam get made with his Seven Bucks Productions production company partnering with WB to make Shazam (it's why the Rock has a Exec producer credit on the film).

We also might get a spin off JSA movie if the the characters prove popular in Black Adam.

They have had plenty of time to work on the script (with extra time added with the Covid delay to production). With the Rock producing the film I doubt WB will mess too much with the movie.

The Rock isn't the greatest actor but I imagine he will probably try his best with this film given it is a role he is very passionate about and has been working on for years.

Star power is no guarantee for success anymore but if a Aquaman movie starring a guy best known for briefly playing a non-English speaking warlord on a fantasy Tv show can make a billion dollars at the box office then there is no reason a decent Black Adam movie starring a very popular star couldn't turn a profit.