Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Having never read the comics and never seen anything about it. I mean I'll watch it. Some of the visceral animated gore maybe stood out a bit after 3 episodes. But, other than that I wasn't exactly mindblown or seeing something that felt just amazingly new to me.

I will say the series gets better as it goes on, so it's safe to assume it'll be the same with the show.

When I first read Invincible, I didn't understand why people hyped it up so much. I thought it was just OK, even with the twists.....It wasn't until the 4th Ultimate Collection hardcover that I really got into it, which means around the 36th issue & up. At first some things seem a little pedestrian, then you realize seemingly insignificant things in past issues actually have some relevance. Also, as an example, in regard to Robot breaking out those villains, it's not a basic "In league with some minor villains for a basic diabolical plot" scheme like it implies. Robot's machinations are far deeper-reaching than it seems.

The true appeal of the comic, IMO, was the world-building, characterization, the cohesive storyline, the twists, and the comedic elements. Also, from what I remember, it was pretty much the same creative team the whole way through (Artists might've changed early on, it's been a while since I read it), and it's a long series. The writing level was on par with Slott's Superior Spider-Man or Will Pfeifer's Catwoman. It's not mind-blowing stuff on par with the best works of Moore or Morrison, but it's entertaining and has pay-offs for people who follow the series from start to finish. And, as one poster said further above, it has a good blend of superhero & sci-fi elements.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

ok 3 episodes in and it's a bit meh, maybe people that havent read the books will get more out of it but i think for the comic readers the pacing will feel really weird although honestly it kind of plods along regardless if you know the plot beforehand

animation isnt great for most of the runtime and then they wrap up the episodes with a big fight sequence and it seems the majority of the animation budget gets pumped into that small window (like 3 minutes of solid animation) per episode

voice acting is very dull with the exception of jk simmons as omni man and the brief appearances of clancy brown as damien darkblood (plus mark hamill has a very small role and he's good). this is weird because the rest of the cast are very accomplished tv actors (britta from community, sylar from heroes, walton goggins from playing a southerner, also sandra oh)

all that said im hoping the story was just getting the origin stuff out of the way swiftly and the latter half of the season will get better but at this rate i dont see a season 2 unless seth rogan just pays amazon to air it

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    all that said im hoping the story was just getting the origin stuff out of the way swiftly and the latter half of the season will get better but at this rate i dont see a season 2 unless seth rogan just pays amazon to air it

I don't know how the ratings have been, but judging by social media, it seems kind of popular, so I doubt it'll stall with one season like your optimistic post implies......A lot of casuals seem to be really into the show. I'm talking casuals as in people who watch superhero movies/TV shows, but don't read comics.

could be wishful thinking on my part sure

plus since it has a lesser budget than a live action production that could also contribute to more eps

Never read the book. Like the show.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I like what the show is adding from the comic, especially Debbie's early role, the Guardians of the Globe, Amber as a character, and with Omni-Man.

We're also getting a much more gradual development of Mark as a Superhero.

Was War Woman able to fly in the comics? Also, does she fly in the show?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That's where I am. It's nice seeing a superhero universe, that's affectionate toward the genre, but that isn't wrestling with decades of its own published works, and taking its place in pop culture too seriously.

Love the show so far and then devoured the first ultimate collection. Not sure how I missed this series.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I've watched and enjoyed the first two episodes so far. My only complaint (if one can call it that) is that, in animation, Omni-man looks too much like a super-buff J Jonah Jameson and having JK Simmons voice him doesn't help.
    Last edited by Mark Trail; 04-06-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Same here. I always heard how good this series was but never got around to reading it. I'm liking what I'm getting so far.

As someone who has read the comic, I think they're doing a great job keeping the core of the story intact while adding or moving stuff around to make it work as a series or leave stuff more impactful later on.

episode 5 had best pacing so far, so hopefully this upturn continues

-good intro to battlebeast, hope his big fight is a full episode
    -i dont remember titan with that much backstory, he came off more as a low lvl jobber from what i recall
    Last edited by The Gold Stream; 04-12-2021 at 01:31 AM.

I really like Titan. I'd love a show focused on him.

Never read the comcis but Titan and Darkblood are two of the more interesting characters. From what I understand Darkblood was a joke character in the comic and Titan was one dimensional evil.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 04-13-2021 at 04:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Think 5 was the best ep so far. Didn't see that twist coming at the end. Damn this dude's Dad is looking more and more evil.