Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Even still, having someone onto him and forcing him to advance his timetable would've ruined the shock of the attack on the Guardians and taint the image of him being the "Superman" of the show (until we find out he isn't, in an admittedly short amount of time). I don't think the slow burn of "why is Omni-Man being investigated?" would've been as satisfying as what we got.
    Well you're switching gears now. I'm not questioning the real world writing/pacing of the story. I'm questioning the internal/in-universe logic of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we see with how he tried to plead with and talk Mark into it that Viltrumite values and thought process is really different from how normal people think and that's been messing Nolan up the whole season.
    Yes. Which he did at the worst time possible. That's what I'm saying. If he wanted Mark on his side, taking his time to explain things would be the smarter move, as opposed to blurting everything out and spouting some racist, superiority stuff right after he saw you murder someone.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I can get behind him wanting a Father/Son bonding moment. However, that means he still jumped the gun and miscalculated because he didn't make sure Mark was on his side before attacking. And that attack put suspicion on him, which is why he had to rush to tell Mark instead of slowly indoctrinating him over time. Which, again, if he's basically immortal, he shouldn't have been in a rush to do.
    He'd already been biding his time/playing the hero for a fairly long time. He probably saw it as the time to get it going, perhaps even arrogantly, assuming Mark would fall into line. I mean, when it comes down to it, even if it didn't go the way he wanted it to he knew Mark wouldn't be able to stop him (physically or power vs. power, anyway).
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Well you're switching gears now. I'm not questioning the real world writing/pacing of the story. I'm questioning the internal/in-universe logic of it.
    Yeah, but I'm not doing so to fake you out or anything. You're right, Damien Darkblood only started investigating after Omni-Man slaughtered the Guardians. I'm just saying your suggestion of how they should have done it wouldn't have been as satisfying.
    Conn Seanery

Another question about Omni-Man's actions and why I don't get what he was thinking:
    -- Even after he murders the Guardians and Mark has his powers, what does he do? Nolan coaches Mark on being a hero. We don't see any indication of any other aspect of his plan to take over the world happening, do we? The Guardians are out of the way... earth's defenses are down, now what? If Nolan "had to act now" to kill the Guardians, what happened to the next stage of the plan? He seems to just go back to his life as a hero and teach his kid. He could've trained Mark with no pressure without having to kill the Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Another question about Omni-Man's actions and why I don't get what he was thinking:
    -- Even after he murders the Guardians and Mark has his powers, what does he do? Nolan coaches Mark on being a hero. We don't see any indication of any other aspect of his plan to take over the world happening, do we? The Guardians are out of the way... earth's defenses are down, now what? If Nolan "had to act now" to kill the Guardians, what happened to the next stage of the plan? He seems to just go back to his life as a hero and teach his kid. He could've trained Mark with no pressure without having to kill the Guardians.
    I think this is just a conquering species' arrogance. Mark got his powers, so Nolan decided he'd waited long enough.
    Conn Seanery

Extraordinary Member

Yeah a lot about this show doesn't make sense. The guy's a planet killer,humans are roaches to him. but yet he comes to gain their trust and pro-create with them. With a nuclear family no doubt? Why not just invade him and one other guy? And 8 episodes to reveal after being all over the place in the pacing. Eh....nah.

I'll say this without spoiling anything specific, but if the cartoon follows the comic Nolan's actions will make a lot more sense down the road.

And now I'll say it with full spoilers
    spoilers:
    firstly Nolan's mission wasn't just to prepare Earth for invasion, it was to see if Viltrumites and humans could interbreed and produce viable Viltumite powered offspring, that's why Nolan only started making his move AFTER Mark displayed his powers, they got hit with a weaponized virus that literally killed 99.999% of their population, leaving only 50 Viltrumites alive, thus they're desperate for breeding stock(literally how their society, and more importantly their leader, view them as) both for numbers and genetic diversity

secondly Nolan's reasoning with Mark is weird because he wasn't trying to convince Mark, he was trying to convince himself, he'll reveal just how conflicted he was during these events later on when they meet again and how deeply humanity effected him. In fact the real reason he murdered the Guardians wasn't really to facilitate the invasion, but to back himself into a corner and force him to decide where he stood, and it's why he seemed so conflicted starting immediately after Mark displayed his powers
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Hiromi; 05-03-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I'm willing to wait for future season to flush out his reasoning. There's still a lot of ground that needs to be covered.

Invincible Season 2 Will Make Changes to Conquest's Story

Invincible creator Robert Kirkman teases the animated show will make changes to Conquest's story when the character properly debuts. Amazon Prime Video and Kirkman teamed up to bring his hit Image comic Invincible to the small screen a few years ago. The arrival of the show at the beginning of 2021 introduced a brand new audience to Mark Grayson (Steven Yeun), Omni-Man (J.K. Simmons), and the sprawling superhero world that exists around them.
    Look, the obvious answer is Conquest. I think that we're all looking forward to seeing Conquest. We got a small glimpse of Conquest in season one, and hopefully we'll be seeing him very soon. I know there's a lot of tweaks to that story, a lot of enhancements to that story that I'm very excited about that I've been cooking up. So I can't wait for that.
    https://screenrant.com/invincible-se...-story-change/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Invincible Season 2 Will Make Changes to Conquest's Story

https://screenrant.com/invincible-se...-story-change/
    spoilers:
    I wonder if he'll show up among the Viltrumites sent to pick Nolan up.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

The Atom-Eve one-shot was a surprise. I had no idea it was happening until I opened up my A-Prime. Good episode with her backstory, though I was surprised by the depiction of her powers. (I only know her from the show and she didn't seem so OP) While there's plenty of graphic violence, I was surprised how light it was on the civilians considering what we've seen on the show. (and there were a lot of civilians around) I can believe super bloody or bloodless action in my fictional universes, just be consistent about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    So we're definitely getting for sure:

spoilers:
    Angstrom Levy, his Earth, Alan with Thaddeus and telling him about Mark, and Mark meeting the new Darkwing.

I wonder if they're going to end on Mark reuniting with his dad and fighting off the Viltrumites + adopting Oliver.
    end of spoilers

Peter Cullen!