Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They have shown that the Viltrumites look down on any species not them. Earth could join sure but we would all just be their slaves. Allen said his people revolted against them and the Viltrumites destroyed his whole world so we already know how they deal with anyone who opposes them. Plus Nolan said they were spread out very thin across the galaxy so it is not like they can just come in force.
    they look down on other races but what exactly does that mean? Slave labor? That seems kinda dumb since slaves would take longer to do what they can themselves. And they could send just 2-3 more Viltrumites, considering what we saw Nolan do. No need for an armada.

I mean, I wouldn't trust being overseen by a race of darwinistic Supermen, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I wouldn't trust being overseen by a race of darwinistic Supermen, but that's just me.
    But you wouldn't know they were like that until after Earth agreed. Had Nolan continued to play along instead of taking out the Guardians so soon, he would have vouched for the Empire and people would automatically believe him. That's what I'm saying. And by then it wouldn't matter because 3 Viltrumites would decimate any defense Earth could mount.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    But you wouldn't know they were like that until after Earth agreed. Had Nolan continued to play along instead of taking out the Guardians so soon, he would have vouched for the Empire and people would automatically believe him. That's what I'm saying. And by then it wouldn't matter because 3 Viltrumites would decimate any defense Earth could mount.
    I guess that just goes to show where Viltrumites' mindsets go when they feel pressure or feel like they need to escalate.

I guess I don't get why he'd feel pressured to begin with? Considering his long life span, patience should be extremely easy for him.

They should have shown someone being on to him or getting closer to discovering the truth, which caused him to act. Otherwise, he only caused more problems by attacking first.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

You are assuming that the entire planet will just let a another race of people take over on the word of one man.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You are assuming that the entire planet will just let a another race of people take over on the word of one man.
    True but that assumption is based on his standing in their world. And even then, he'd have way more people on his side than he does now. If it doesn't work THEN he can just kill them all. That should be Plan B, not A.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

True but that assumption is based on his standing in their world. And even then, he'd have way more people on his side than he does now. If it doesn't work THEN he can just kill them all. That should be Plan B, not A.
    Good standing can only go so far. Asking the planet to submit to the rule of another race will not go well. The most he can believably do is convince people of is an alliance like the Coalition of Planets.

I guess I don't get why he'd feel pressured to begin with? Considering his long life span, patience should be extremely easy for him.

They should have shown someone being on to him or getting closer to discovering the truth, which caused him to act. Otherwise, he only caused more problems by attacking first.
    Damien Darkblood was onto him, then Omni-Man framed him to get him out of the picture.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Damien Darkblood was onto him, then Omni-Man framed him to get him out of the picture.
    Darkblood was on to him only AFTER he killed the guardians, which was my initial point. Killing them made no sense and only created unnecessary issues for him.

It does seem that Omni-Man could have presented entrance into the Empire as a good thing to the people of earth - especially with all the technological advances, etc. We've seen alien invaders take that tact in many other fictions. Otherwise, I would guess Vitrium would be sending a small force to secure the planet after Omni-Man "weakened Earth's defenses." It seems they're spread too thin to send a whole armada. (though it seems penny-wise, pound foolish now for them to have killed so many of their own just to see who were the strongest. Even a "weak" Vitrumite seems like they'd be able to do a lot of damage on earth)

But I still don't think Omni-Man's actions really make a lot of sense, whether he was going along with the original plan or changed it because of Mark.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-03-2021 at 05:04 PM.

They're a conquering empire, not a peaceful one. They don't prove their worth by doing what Nolan did to win them over, the plan was always to weaken their defenses. I think Nolan's "it goes more smoothly if the planet surrenders/we make it a utopia" reasoning was him trying to make his explanation more palatable to Mark because he knew Mark would instinctively want to defend Earth.

As for why he waited, he explained it in the last episode. He was waiting for Mark's powers to manifest to tell him the truth, to make sure he was a Viltrumite. Seems clear he wanted taking over Earth to be a father/son thing.
    Conn Seanery

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    They're a conquering empire, not a peaceful one. They don't prove their worth by doing what Nolan did to win them over, the plan was always to weaken their defenses. I think Nolan's "it goes more smoothly if the planet surrenders/we make it a utopia" reasoning was him trying to make his explanation more palatable to Mark because he knew Mark would instinctively want to defend Earth.

As for why he waited, he explained it in the last episode. He was waiting for Mark's powers to manifest to tell him the truth, to make sure he was a Viltrumite. Seems clear he wanted taking over Earth to be a father/son thing.
    I can get behind him wanting a Father/Son bonding moment. However, that means he still jumped the gun and miscalculated because he didn't make sure Mark was on his side before attacking. And that attack put suspicion on him, which is why he had to rush to tell Mark instead of slowly indoctrinating him over time. Which, again, if he's basically immortal, he shouldn't have been in a rush to do.

Darkblood was on to him only AFTER he killed the guardians, which was my initial point. Killing them made no sense and only created unnecessary issues for him.
    Even still, having someone onto him and forcing him to advance his timetable would've ruined the shock of the attack on the Guardians and taint the image of him being the "Superman" of the show (until we find out he isn't, in an admittedly short amount of time). I don't think the slow burn of "why is Omni-Man being investigated?" would've been as satisfying as what we got.
    Conn Seanery

I can get behind him wanting a Father/Son bonding moment. However, that means he still jumped the gun and miscalculated because he didn't make sure Mark was on his side before attacking. And that attack put suspicion on him, which is why he had to rush to tell Mark instead of slowly indoctrinating him over time. Which, again, if he's basically immortal, he shouldn't have been in a rush to do.
    I think we see with how he tried to plead with and talk Mark into it that Viltrumite values and thought process is really different from how normal people think and that's been messing Nolan up the whole season.