Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Excellent movie overall. Some complaints, but not many.

I am kinda concerned that, given how well the movie has been received, that we'll see a return of Will Smith's Deadshot and losing us the more interesting Bloodsport
    Wasn't the point of them making Idris Bloodsport so they could use Will Smith as Deadshot again? Heck, I'd love to see them teamed up.

I think this is easily the best DCEU film to come out.

And I don't see them switching Will for Idris. Especially when comparing Will's character/performance to Idris'.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I think this is easily the best DCEU film to come out.

And I don't see them switching Will for Idris. Especially when comparing Will's character/performance to Idris'.
    Exactly.

Idris Elba is a better actor than Will Smith and Bloodsport was kind of a better character too.

Funny enough, the characters had a similar set-up to Deadshot except the relationship between Bloodsport and his daughter was a lot different.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Great movie.
    A shade too long.
    Waller was amped up in this. I mean we all know she is a cold SOB but they amped it up in this movie.
    Cena was GOLD as Peacemaker. Cannot wait for the prequel series.
    Harley is hit or miss for me.

LOVED Bloodsport and his whole weapon modding gimmick. I too thought of Deadshot initially with how he gets pulled into things, but he gets to be his own man.

King Shark was great. Some deaths you can guess by the trailer scenes, but some were still shocking when they happened.

Just a great fun, violent gruesome kinda movie.

Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Niffleheim

Thank god it was streaming because I'd have been pissed if i had watched this in the cinema. I bailed on this even before 10 minutes were over. It was my fault for even thinking I'd like it when it is an R Rating.

First impression is that it was pretty solid. Far better than the original, don't think it was as good as either GOTG film. I think I also prefer both animated movies.
    spoilers:

Cena was great, but yeah I hate Peacemaker. Not sure how Gunn will turn that around for his prequel, it'll be much harder than what he did with Yondu.
    Speaking of Michael Rooker, In every SS movie, theres always got to be one sucker that Waller has to make an example of.
    Viola Davis is also perfect in a likewise love to hate role.
    The action and cinematorgraphy were great there were some seriously beautiful shots.
    Harley just happening to be back at Belle Reeve reminds me of when i bingewatched Batman TAS where you'd notice due to it's serial nature, villains captured in previous episodes would be inexplicably free and villains at large would be back in Arkham in the next.
    Aw!!! not Captain Boomerang! At least Flagg and Pokka Dot man got major roles, my man Digger just got wasted like canon foddler. The one thing i hated about this movie. Even Milton had more to do.
    Also Harley, King Shark and Bloodsport had really noticeable plot armor. At a certain point it became apparent they were invincible and we have no reason to fear for them.
    end of spoilers
    Anyway Bloodsport was basically just a copy of deadshot, i liked them both about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Thank god it was streaming because I'd have been pissed if i had watched this in the cinema. I bailed on this even before 10 minutes were over. It was my fault for even thinking I'd like it when it is an R Rating.
    I take it you don't like R rated movies in general then?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's the restore the Snyder cut crew.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/257...-review-bombed

Suicide Squad is getting better views than the Snyder Cut across the board. I haven't seen it yet but based on their previous work i.e Snyder and Gunn I won't be surprised that SS is better. Unlike Snyder, Gunn hasn't made any clunkers like BvS or Sucker Punch. Even Army of the Dead was a total clunker.

As per superhero movies, Gunn has made better movies. Snyder hasn't even made a movie as good as the first GoTG (the second GoTG wasn't as good as the first one but it wasn't a bad movie).
    SS 2 has a higher RT score , I am talking more about film artistic making content, that is the part the Snyder cut seems to be doing better in. The Snyder Cut was a visual film masterclass. SS2 is raunchy fun.

Also I would not go as far as to say Gunn has made better comic movies, considering the subjective better argument you seem to be using here since Gunn only has MCU films.

Snyder has pushed the boundaries of the genre further. Gunn right now seems to only have funny and having a good time in the cinema kind of comic movies, and if you just use his GOTG films only, that are just toy commercial for Disney theme ride, SS 2 is actually good for his filmography because people now can see him more than a kid friendly director and writer. However, He is still not yet on Snyder level. Snyder is more than a kid friendly director, who only see the genre as fun.

Snyder has done Watchmen, Man of Steel and the Snyder Cut and even if BvS was controversial, it did start a heavy conversation about how we should see comic films in the 2010s.

Gunn has yet to make a comic film we are supposed to take seriously. I don't doubt many DC fans will enjoy SS 2 but I do doubt many DC fans would choose a Gunn comedy kind of the film as the main style of all DC films over TDK/Snyder Cut/Joker. So I am not going to be not agreeing with this spin, that Gunn should take over the DCEU franchise.

As much as some MCU fans and those in the media would want to keep hyping the the slap stick comedy tone of just ...having good fun time in cinema narrative for DC because that is only the type of movies MCU can do, All of this will fall more into place when Matt Reeves The Batman is out and DC starting chunning out more of their dramatic movies.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-05-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Ugh....Where to begin?

1. This movie makes me want to see James Gunn's music collection....so I can destroy it.* I get it, it's a James Gunn movie. People expect to hear music but it was so excessive it pulled me out of the movie.

2. Idris Elba is a poor man's Deadshot. Elba is a fine actor but he just lacks Smith's charisma which this film really needed. He was upstaged by Robbie, Cena, Stallone and Melchior.

3. The only good Harley Quinn is Suicide Squad Harley Quinn. Not Birds Of Prey Harley Quinn or Animated Harley Quinn. This is the only place where the character currently makes sense.

4. Mon-Gal getting killed in a helicopter crash. Just....no.

I liked it. I just didn't like it as much as the first one and I didn't like the first one all that much. Too many "Gunnisms" This is something that I can't imagine myself going to the theater to see.

*I hope he is a record collector those would be fun to destroy. No fair If he has a streaming service.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-05-2021 at 10:49 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I liked this movie more than I thought I would.

While there are certainly some hallmarks of James Gunn in it (the soundtrack, quirky and sometimes absurd characters you still empathise with, humor, action/adventure), there's also some aspects of it that reminded me of Deadpool 2. I suppose it's the strong language and gore and dark humor (and some deaths of costumed characters almost played for dark comedy).

Idris Elba's Bloodshot and John Cena's Peacemaker were highlights, and of course Margot Robbie's Harley gets plenty of great moments. I also thought Ratcatcher 2's whole backstory was well-developed.

As for the soundtrack, my favorite song choices were 'Folsom Prison Blues' at the beginning, 'Those Were People Who Died', and 'Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody'. Those really enhanced the mood of the scenes they were in. The rest, I could take or leave.

There were a number of twists I wasn't expecting. At least one character I thought was going to be in it for most of the movie died early on. And then when we get to the chapter entitled 'Dirty Little Secrets', there came a few more surprises. All in all, the movie was all right.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I pretty much knew who was going to die going in, but one death still hit me hard.

King Shark looked phenomenal. He was a real treat throughout the whole movie.

Loved that all of the members of the Squad (and even the support staff!) had a chance to shine.

Never thought I'd see Starro in a major motion picture, and I'd never have expected him to turn out so well.

Possibly one of the best of the DCU movies to come out.

Another thought- Peter Capaldi was a better Thinker for 2 hours than that crap we got in The Flash for an entire season.
    I have to agree with you there. In an ensemble cast movie, it can be difficult to give everyone great moments, but this movie managed to pull it off. King Shark and Ratcatcher 2 were unexpected highlights, and I have to agree with you on Peter Capaldi's Thinker. He was a lot more compelling than the rather low key Clifford Devoe from Season 4 of The Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Great movie.
    A shade too long.
    Waller was amped up in this. I mean we all know she is a cold SOB but they amped it up in this movie.
    Cena was GOLD as Peacemaker. Cannot wait for the prequel series.
    I agreed that the film dragged on a bit in the middle where (similar to the first movie) they spend a bunch of time getting to the place and several characters give their backstory along the way. Still, a lot better than the first film. And Waller got more heated in this one but I mean, in the last film, she shot her own support staff. I was almost expecting her to do it again...
    About Peacemaker's show:spoilers:
    What makes you think the Peacemaker series is a prequel? Have they said that, because I thought the end credits scene was setting up his show.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    3. The only good Harley Quinn is Suicide Squad Harley Quinn. Not Birds Of Prey Harley Quinn or Animated Harley Quinn. This is the only place where the character currently makes sense.
    Sorry, disagree. I love the HQ animated show. That said, Robbie's great in the role and I think it's one of those cases where it won't break her being in something that's not great because people will still want to see her play the character.

No comments about the film in general at the moment other than, "I love Ratcatcher 2!!" I did not see that coming.

Oh, and I'm sure YMMV, but I loved the whole "Milton" sequence...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-06-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I take it you don't like R rated movies in general then?
    Yes, you're correct and I was hopefully thinking that I'd be able to watch it but it was just too much.

I really liked this movie. It looked fantastic and had Gunn’s best work balancing an ensemble cast yet. Standouts were Ratcatcher 2, Bloodsport, Flagg, and polka dot man for me. Starro was a great, visual feast of a villain. I thought Thinker wasn’t great, although Capaldi was great. Soundtrack was a CD bit too much at time, with some weird edits imo (“Hey” comes to mind).

Unfortunately for me, I HATED Harley in this. I’ll admit I’m not a fan of the character (and Robbie’s version makes me cringe regardless), but man, she felt like such a needless fit in the movie. I don’t think I’d have minded if she was just a supporting character, but her sub plot feels like it’s own little solo movie within the movie - it isn’t really connected to the overall plot, it’s just relevant enough to it to not be completely jarring. Her action scene was good, but other than that it really dropped the score of the movie for me as I was just so excited to see what the rest of the cast was up to.

Overall, I’d give it a 7/10. I really liked it, and I can’t wait to watch it again (preferably in the cinema because its such a visual feast). I’ve liked James Gunn since Super and this film feels just as good to me. He’s a director where you can really see him growing as a director with each movie. Although GotG 2 isn’t as good as the first one imo overall, I thought his character work was really great, and clearly led to him perfecting approach to leading big ensembles. This film has dark moments, heartbreaking moments, and hilarious moments. MVP is Kinnaman’s Flagg, who managed to make me really like his character after hating him in the 2016 movie.

It’s just such a pity to me that Harley had such a big, yet irrelevant role in this movie. If it had been cut, we’d have had a tighter, slightly shorter movie with nothing needed to fill the gap. Alternatively, that time could have been used to focus on the new characters we’ve been introduced to, who were far more interesting. Harley fans might be happy (maybe not, given her plot line itself) but for anyone else I think it’s tiring.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    SS 2 has a higher RT score , I am talking more about film artistic making content, that is the part the Snyder cut seems to be doing better in. The Snyder Cut was a visual film masterclass. SS2 is raunchy fun.

Also I would not go as far as to say Gunn has made better comic movies, considering the subjective better argument you seem to be using here since Gunn only has MCU films.

Snyder has pushed the boundaries of the genre further. Gunn right now seems to only have funny and having a good time in the cinema kind of comic movies, and if you just use his GOTG films only, that are just toy commercial for Disney theme ride, SS 2 is actually good for his filmography because people now can see him more than a kid friendly director and writer. However, He is still not yet on Snyder level. Snyder is more than a kid friendly director, who only see the genre as fun.

Snyder has done Watchmen, Man of Steel and the Snyder Cut and even if BvS was controversial, it did start a heavy conversation about how we should see comic films in the 2010s.

Gunn has yet to make a comic film we are supposed to take seriously. I don't doubt many DC fans will enjoy SS 2 but I do doubt many DC fans would choose a Gunn comedy kind of the film as the main style of all DC films over TDK/Snyder Cut/Joker. So I am not going to be not agreeing with this spin, that Gunn should take over the DCEU franchise.

As much as some MCU fans and those in the media would want to keep hyping the the slap stick comedy tone of just ...having good fun time in cinema narrative for DC because that is only the type of movies MCU can do, All of this will fall more into place when Matt Reeves The Batman is out and DC starting chunning out more of their dramatic movies.
    All this is your opinion.

I'm saying that critically, Gunn's movies have been better received.

The JL Snyder cut has around 50 something on metacritic while SS has around 70 something. The reception to both is worlds apart.