Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That looks like a James Gunn Suicide Squad. Which should be entertaining, if nothing else .

I feel like it's appropriate here to some extent but Harley still feels a little too much here.

Looks like King Shark can only talk like a baby? Will we get "King Shark is a Shark?"

spoilers:
    So does Flag bite it to where Bloodsport needs to take over?

Starro is something I could only have expected coming from Gunn. Although how does the Justice League not notice this?
    end of spoilers
    Bloodsport would probably just lead one half of the team while Flag gets the other.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    While I don't think that, much like with Guardians, strict adherence to a specific run or tone has to make or break this movie, by now even the comics had them confronting General Zod.
    The problem is Gunn specifically said he was basing it off the classic John Ostrander run. What you’re talking about is more in line with the post New 52 suicide squad. Now I haven’t read much of it but one reason classic fans hated the movie and the modern iteration is because they basically made them into the anti-hero justice league, even one time fighting the justice league themselves. The original squad was made of expendable villains. Deadshot and Cpt Boomerang may be fan favorites now but then they were lost in the shuffle of flash and Batman villains. That made it likely that anyone would die (even if some of them did become a bit too safe but hey Ostrander killed Flagg before DC brought him back and had Deadshot go crazy). Now there are two types of ss members. The ones who are the real characters and the canon fodder. Like people clowned the first one for putting Slipknot in it. Like yeah I wonder if slipknot will outlast will Smith and Margot Robbie. This one is a little better but come one you really think Polkadot man or TDK are going to outlast Idris Elba or Robbie? (And if they do it’ll probably be for a joke)

EDIT: TBH I really don’t get why Harley Quinn is in this at all. She broke out of jail at the end of the first one and was free in BoP and WB is still going through with BoP2 so why is Harley back in the suicide squad? Like I really like Margot Robbie as Harley but does she really need to be a central character in two team up franchises?

All I’m saying is I’m worried. The problem with the first one was they tried to turn the suicide squad into Gunn’s MCU GOTG. When they announced Gunn was directing the sequel I thought they learned nothing. I was kinda hoping when Gunn said he was basing on Ostrander’s suicide squad it wouldn’t be a carbon copy of mcu GotG but the recent trailers dashed all that. Plus it has Gunn’s signature teenage immature humor like “if I had to eat every d*** thrown on a beach for liberty I would.” I’m sure if Snyder included a line like that he wouldn’t get clowned
    Last edited by Dboi2001; 03-26-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Incredible Member

Btw I just love how there’s a scene of the squad on a rooftop that looks exactly like the recent video game trailer

It was tons of fun.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    The problem is Gunn specifically said he was basing it off the classic John Ostrander run. What you’re talking about is more in line with the post New 52 suicide squad. Now I haven’t read much of it but one reason classic fans hated the movie and the modern iteration is because they basically made them into the anti-hero justice league, even one time fighting the justice league themselves. The original squad was made of expendable villains. Deadshot and Cpt Boomerang may be fan favorites now but then they were lost in the shuffle of flash and Batman villains. That made it likely that anyone would die (even if some of them did become a bit too safe but hey Ostrander killed Flagg before DC brought him back and had Deadshot go crazy). Now there are two types of ss members. The ones who are the real characters and the canon fodder. Like people clowned the first one for putting Slipknot in it. Like yeah I wonder if slipknot will outlast will Smith and Margot Robbie. This one is a little better but come one you really think Polkadot man or TDK are going to outlast Idris Elba or Robbie? (And if they do it’ll probably be for a joke)

All I’m saying is I’m worried. The problem with the first one was they tried to turn the suicide squad into Gunn’s MCU GOTG. When they announced Gunn was directing the sequel I thought they learned nothing. I was kinda hoping when Gunn said he was basing on Ostrander’s suicide squad it wouldn’t be a carbon copy of mcu GotG but the recent trailers dashed all that. Plus it has Gunn’s signature teenage immature humor like “if I had to eat every d*** thrown on a beach for liberty I would.” I’m sure if Snyder included a line like that he wouldn’t get clowned
    Eh, from all indications Gunn's read the series. I mean, him using Weasel and Thinker on a South American mission seems to indicate he's well versed in the lore.

Frankly, wouldn't surprise me if they're performing a mission in the opening before getting to the main plot.

While I don't think that, much like with Guardians, strict adherence to a specific run or tone has to make or break this movie, by now even the comics had them confronting General Zod.
    The trailer looks great but with these villains and stuff one has to wonder what universe this suicide squad movie is set in. Warner Bro DC films are kinda all over the place. Is James Gunn Suicide Squad in the original DC films universe, the fan requested Synder Verse, or is it set in a new continuity or is it a self contained elseworld's story like Joker and Matt Reeves The Batman? I guess we will have to see.

But again, the trailer looks GREAT. I mean King Shark's CGI still looks a tad bit spotty but nothing major. But other than that, yea it looks like a fun time.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 03-26-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Wow, that is a lot of D-List characters. Don't know if I have ever seen half of them. This by no means says the movie will not be good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Wow, that is a lot of D-List characters. Don't know if I have ever seen half of them. This by no means says the movie will not be good.
    I think James wanted to use lesser known characters for several reasons. Using weird and lesser know characters is sort of his niche now (started with Guardians), the weird tone fits his directing style, and lastly to kill a few off without major backlash lol.

Honestly, this film will probably make all the characters that appear in this movie main stream. Just like how his Guardians film put those characters in main stream pop culture.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 03-26-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post

EDIT: TBH I really don’t get why Harley Quinn is in this at all. She broke out of jail at the end of the first one and was free in BoP and WB is still going through with BoP2 so why is Harley back in the suicide squad? Like I really like Margot Robbie as Harley but does she really need to be a central character in two team up franchises?

See this is why I try to not follow pre-release coverage anymore and just dip into a movie with just trailers watched.

I didn't like Gunn's first Guardians at the time at all but I'm willing to give this a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    The trailer looks great but with these villains and stuff one has to wonder what universe this suicide squad movie is set in. Warner Bro DC films are kinda all over the place. Is James Gunn Suicide Squad in the original DC films universe, the fan requested Synder Verse, or is it set in a new continuity or is it a self contained elseworld's story like Joker and Matt Reeves The Batman? I guess we will have to see.

But again, the trailer looks GREAT. I mean King Shark's CGI still looks a tad bit spotty but nothing major. But other than that, yea it looks like a fun time.
    The way I see it, even if we don't get new Snyder installments anymore, DC Films are still Snyderized. Like how moving forward we still have Gadot Wonder Woman who was photographed in World War I and Aquaman is still said to have fought Steppenwolf. But we'll see here.

Ultimate Member

I know everyone's going to complain that there are jokes in the trailer, but I think people forget that the first Suicide Squad had plenty of humor in it too.

The entire Squad got together to prank Boomerbutt, when he was pretending to be Mirror Master. There was a secret pie-man, Punch and Jewelee long before Joker and Harley and countless others.

Because John O did what Snyder always refuses to do, pull back. As grim as the series was, there was still deliberate humor and hopeful spots.

This looks like a blast, can't wait.

See this is why I try to not follow pre-release coverage anymore and just dip into a movie with just trailers watched.

I didn't like Gunn's first Guardians at the time at all but I'm willing to give this a chance.

The way I see it, even if we don't get new Snyder installments anymore, DC Films are still Snyderized. Like how moving forward we still have Gadot Wonder Woman who was photographed in World War I and Aquaman is still said to have fought Steppenwolf. But we'll see here.
    Yea I mean if WB is wanting the DC films to be similar to Marvel they need to establish a solid unified universe for all these films.

Man of Steel, Batman Vs Superman, Suicide Squad (1), Wonder Woman 1, Wonder Woman 2 would be okay universe wise.

The two versions of Justice League make things tricky to nail down as the two films have very different endings and plot points.

Aquaman (2018) takes place after Justice League not sure which version would work the best.

Shazam (2019) Seems to take place after some version of Justice League as well ( with Superman cameo at the end)

Birds of Prey (2020)- Takes place after Suicide Squad 1 and maybe after some version of Justice League

Suicide Squad (2021) -Not sure when this takes place

Black Adam (2022)- Not sure when this takes place

Shazam 2 (2022 or 2023)- Unknown

Elesworlds

Joker (2019)
    The Batman (2022)

HBO Max DC Shows
    Peacemaker
    Gotham PD (set in Matt Reeves Batman universe)

Wasn’t sold until the end. Holy **** it’s STARRO!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, from all indications Gunn's read the series. I mean, him using Weasel and Thinker on a South American mission seems to indicate he's well versed in the lore.

Frankly, wouldn't surprise me if they're performing a mission in the opening before getting to the main plot.
    and? People say Snyder doesn't understand Batman but he had KGBeast in BvS. Weasel is also a totally different person here. To me it looks like the opening will be saving harley quinn from whatever it is then going to that secret base

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I think James wanted to use lesser known characters for several reasons. Using weird and lesser know characters is sort of his niche now (started with Guardians), the weird tone fits his directing style, and lastly to kill a few off without major backlash lol.

Honestly, this film will probably make all the characters that appear in this movie main stream. Just like how his Guardians film put those characters in main stream pop culture.
    yeah by completely butchering them and turning them into his fanfic characters. And sure Polkadot man is going to be the face of the DCEU now