Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    3. The only good Harley Quinn is Suicide Squad Harley Quinn. Not Birds Of Prey Harley Quinn or Animated Harley Quinn. This is the only place where the character currently makes sense.
    Disagree - her animated series is great, and I really enjoyed BoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Yes, you're correct and I was hopefully thinking that I'd be able to watch it but it was just too much.
    That's fine, although I'm confused why you were hopeful though - the film's advertising had kind of made a big deal about how violent and R-y this was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    It’s just such a pity to me that Harley had such a big, yet irrelevant role in this movie. If it had been cut, we’d have had a tighter, slightly shorter movie with nothing needed to fill the gap. Alternatively, that time could have been used to focus on the new characters we’ve been introduced to, who were far more interesting. Harley fans might be happy (maybe not, given her plot line itself) but for anyone else I think it’s tiring.
    You do realize the majority of fans are Harley fans vs those who aren't? I mean I understand where someone who doesn't like her to begin with is coming from, but she keeps getting these movies for a reason - there's a lot of people who enjoy her a lot.
    I loved her scenes a lot, for whatever it's worth.

Spoilery thoughts:
    spoilers:
    Was surprised they took out Boomer in that first super violent scene. Honestly didn't expect that many to die that quickly, poor most of team 2...
    Shit they killed Flagg! He dead dead. Fuck did not see that coming...also, damn only death in it that had emotional weight other than humor.
    Ha! We thought Weasel was dead the whole movie and he comes back for a mid credits scene.
    Totally legit thought Peacemaker was dead after all that, that his series was a prequel after all, but then came the end credits scene to hype up his series.
    end of spoilers

Non-spoilery thoughts - Not the best superhero film ever, not even Gunn's best film ever, but a pretty fun ride with ample surprises and a couple touching moments, cool action and violence, and gladly worth the watch. A solid popcorn movie that avoids the trap of being a dumb popcorn movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    All this is your opinion.

I'm saying that critically, Gunn's movies have been better received.

The JL Snyder cut has around 50 something on metacritic while SS has around 70 something. The reception to both is worlds apart.

The reception are indeed worlds apart. SS2 reception is that the movie is fun. The Snyder Cut is more about elevating the genre with some very good film making.

You can keep posting me number and scores but that is not art scores for any objective serious debate. Afterall I can also post numbers and scores of films like Black Widow, Captain Marvel and Joker, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 and Winter Solider , Avengers all based on Metacritic and just ignore the content of these films. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I take it you don't like R rated movies in general then?
    I think in the future, we may see an attempt at an anti R movement in the comic genre,. however I dont think that movement is going to get any steam. DC is just becoming way too strong and even good nailing any kind of r, from the drama of joker to what seems like the more funny less serious side like SS 2. DC can really do it all.

I feel more R films will be a better way for most comic films, also just in case films like The Batman don't turn out to be as good as the other dc films. However with R rated movies , the reason why they now feel too necessary is because, even if the genre slips more into the funny comedy action driven superhero narrative, making those kinds of films mostly r and would at least elevate them, even if it is still in the realms of the basic narrative that comic films are just about fun, jokes and lots of action.

I am not a fan of Gunn's style at all and I don't like some the stuff I have about this movie based on reviews, however I am sure the movie been R will likely make up for any shortcomings I will have with the film and I am about to watch the movie in 10 minutes. so let's hope my prediction is right.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-06-2021 at 02:58 AM.

You do realize the majority of fans are Harley fans vs those who aren't? I mean I understand where someone who doesn't like her to begin with is coming from, but she keeps getting these movies for a reason - there's a lot of people who enjoy her a lot.
    I loved her scenes a lot, for whatever it's worth.
    I literally didn;t say anything to disparrage anyone's opinion of her, I just said I didn't like her and that her role in the film didn't work for me. As I said, fans of Harley will enjoy her stuff (unless they are turned off by te themes in her plotline), but I don't think it does anything to give her new fans. I'm not saying she shouldn't have movies, or that it's wrong that so many people like her - it just felt like her part in this film was tacked on and irrelevant to the rest of the plot. Just my opinion. If people liked it they aren't wrong to lol. Glad you liked it.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 08-06-2021 at 03:01 AM.

Ultimate Member

The Suicide Squad was good but not as good as Gunn's GoTG movies.

I liked Idris Elba as Bloodsport. He's what Deadshot was meant to be but wasn't in the first movie.

The violence and gore in the movie made Deadpool look like Sesame Street. They really went all in and I'm surprised the movie didn't get an NC-17 for some of the shots, the movie was basically a big budget Troma movie.

The film was also surprisingly transgressive. There's some stuff in this that you rarely see in a big budget studio movie.

And I agree with an earlier poster about Peacemaker. His character was basically irredeemable after some stuff he did in this movie.

All the actors brought their A-game. For all the over-the-top violence, Gunn is a something of "character director" and he manages to make even a man-eating monster like King Shark and a goofball like the Polka Dot Man quite sympathetic.

The cons were the movie was too long and too drawn out. Also, Gunn's excesses were in full display (I suspect the guys at Disney/Marvel kept this check which led to tighter movies over there), some of the jokes just didn't land and the movie was extremely mean.

Also, the Harley Quinn "side quest" didn't work for me at all.

All in all, it was good IMO but not great. A solid 7/10.

Ultimate Member

The reception are indeed worlds apart. SS2 reception is that the movie is fun. The Snyder Cut is more about elevating the genre with some very good film making.
    That's your opinion. You keep repeating it over and over again and you keep getting the same response. Like I said earlier, it's not wrong to have an opinion but just acknowledge that's what you feel.

You can keep posting me number and scores but that is not art scores for any objective serious debate. Afterall I can also post numbers and scores of films like Black Widow, Captain Marvel and Joker, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 and Winter Solider , Avengers all based on Metacritic and just ignore the content of these films. lol
    The critics scores (some of whom also attended film school and know about film making) is the only way we can objectively compare the movies. SS2 getting a higher score than JLSC suggests that it's a better movie. Particularly when referencing metacritic which measures the actual score given to the films.

I think in the future, we may see an attempt at an anti R movement in the comic genre,. however I dont think that movement is going to get any steam. DC is just becoming way too strong and even good nailing any kind of r, from the drama of joker to what seems like the more funny less serious side like SS 2. DC can really do it all.
    Why?

I feel more R films will be a better way for most comic films, also just in case films like The Batman don't turn out to be as good as the other dc films. However with R rated movies , the reason why they now feel too necessary is because, even if the genre slips more into the funny comedy action driven superhero narrative, making those kinds of films mostly r and would at least elevate them, even if it is still in the realms of the basic narrative that comic films are just about fun, jokes and lots of action.
    I don't feel that most superhero movies need an R-rating. They just need to be good.

I am not a fan of Gunn's style at all and I don't like some the stuff I have about this movie based on reviews, however I am sure the movie been R will likely make up for any shortcomings I will have with the film and I am about to watch the movie in 10 minutes. so let's hope my prediction is right.
    An R-rating isn't a measure of quality. If a movie is bad, it's bad regardless of the rating.

Niffleheim

That's fine, although I'm confused why you were hopeful though - the film's advertising had kind of made a big deal about how violent and R-y this was going to be.
    I was expecting Logan or Deadpool (haven't watch the sequel) levels of R Rating. Weasel just disgusted me lol, the detachable kid was silly and the kills were just too graphic for me. I don't watch horror movies and that beach scene was horror, so I knew i wasn't going to enjoy this.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-06-2021 at 05:49 AM.

BANNED

Is this a spoil thread.... watching the film right now. so far I am sort of enjoying the use of the F word.

it is almost like how Tarantino does it in his movie. this movie is really earning the R so far. I am already seen the usual Gunn tone style but the R is really balancing it out.

As for the violence, that is actually very good also. Not as cartoonish as Mortal Kombat.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Why do you think there'd be an anti-R movement? There's been several R rated movies in recent years that have done well with no pushback - Logan, Joker, It chapters 1 and 2. Admittedly I have to pull from 2018 and 2019, but 2020 had almost no movies most of the year and 2021 hasn't really been that stellar so far (I can't even name an R film this year outside Mortal Kombat and this)...still, when movies were doing well, R rated movies were also doing well. I mean it's just released but the reception for The Suicide Squad's been positive so far.

I don't really think the rating necessarily elevates a movie - plenty of R movies have been bad, plenty of pg films have been some of the defining films of the genre. My big thing personally is variety, all the ratings should be pushed to help keep the genre varied and healthy. Although some of my favorites have been R (Kick-Ass, Super, Deadpool, Joker).

Hoping The Batman is as good as the first looks and hype suggests it is, although I think it'll probably fall into the PG13 rating like The Dark Knight did.

Well you'll have probably seen it then by the time you read this - hope you had an enjoyable viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I literally didn;t say anything to disparrage anyone's opinion of her, I just said I didn't like her and that her role in the film didn't work for me. As I said, fans of Harley will enjoy her stuff (unless they are turned off by te themes in her plotline), but I don't think it does anything to give her new fans. I'm not saying she shouldn't have movies, or that it's wrong that so many people like her - it just felt like her part in this film was tacked on and irrelevant to the rest of the plot. Just my opinion. If people liked it they aren't wrong to lol. Glad you liked it.
    Fair enough. And I wouldn't say it was irrelevant - no more than the scene to get Flagg back was. Sure, the romance bit might feel tacked on, but it was fun, gave her a good character beat at the end there, and helped set up a bit of a running gag with spoilers:
    the president/leader getting killed - the other general became president after him and got Starro'ed, then another general claimed to be president and was immediately shot down - hell, it all started with the previous ruler and family being hanged, so it was a running theme.
    end of spoilers

The Suicide Squad was good but not as good as Gunn's GoTG movies.
    My personal ranking from best to least - GotG2, TSS, GotG. The first GotG is overrated and not that good after the hype on a repeat viewing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I was expecting Logan or Deadpool (haven't watch the sequel) levels of R Rating. Weasel just disgusted me lol, the detachable kid was silly and the kills were just to graphic for me. I don't watch horror movies and that beach scene was horror, so I knew i wasn't going to enjoy this.
    Fair I guess, although this is about Deadpool level in my opinion actually. The first bit was no worse than the early highway scene I think.

I just thought this was average at best
    A few will agree a lot won’t
    But end of the day I can only give my opinion nothing more nothing less

BANNED

That's your opinion. You keep repeating it over and over again and you keep getting the same response. Like I said earlier, it's not wrong to have an opinion but just acknowledge that's what you feel.

The critics scores (some of whom also attended film school and know about film making) is the only way we can objectively compare the movies. SS2 getting a higher score than JLSC suggests that it's a better movie. Particularly when referencing metacritic which measures the actual score given to the films.

Why?

I don't feel that most superhero movies need an R-rating. They just need to be good.

An R-rating isn't a measure of quality. If a movie is bad, it's bad regardless of the rating.
    ask critics strictly how they talk about comic films when they get serious about it and find out their opinions and mine line up. I am watching SS 2 right now and so good, it is a fun film. however from what I have seen so far, if WB decides to push any dc film for Oscars in 2022, The Snyder Cut will be the stronger film to push from that I am currently seeing. sure my opinion... but supported up historical facts of Joker and TDK and Logan. Additionally one of the first few things they teach you in film school is never to claim rotten tomatoes and metartcirc have deeper sense of meaning. LMAO

Bringing up rotten tomatoes and Metacritic , I will bring up what matters and had more subtance. themes, cinematography, writing and VFX. For example. the VFX and Cinematography of the Snyder Cut is more impressive than SS 2, However there does seem to be some good story arc with Bloodshot, maybe similar to Cyborg that I cannot spoil.This is how you talk of films or ''better films'', in film school. It is not telling me about RT and Metacritic that is not actually telling me anything about the film. lol

Why do you think there'd be an anti-R movement? There's been several R rated movies in recent years that have done well with no pushback - Logan, Joker, It chapters 1 and 2. Admittedly I have to pull from 2018 and 2019, but 2020 had almost no movies most of the year and 2021 hasn't really been that stellar so far (I can't even name an R film this year outside Mortal Kombat and this)...still, when movies were doing well, R rated movies were also doing well. I mean it's just released but the reception for The Suicide Squad's been positive so far.

I don't really think the rating necessarily elevates a movie - plenty of R movies have been bad, plenty of pg films have been some of the defining films of the genre. My big thing personally is variety, all the ratings should be pushed to help keep the genre varied and healthy. Although some of my favorites have been R (Kick-Ass, Super, Deadpool, Joker).
    Yeah, there was an attempted anti R movement that tried to become a thing after Kevin Feige said no more R film apart from Deadpool 3. It was even discussed here to great lengths I just had to ignore some of the bad arguments against it, I think the worst was when someone said it sony and fox that made their marvel films darker, less kid friendly or more violent than they needed to be and none of those films (Blade, Logan, Deadpool) were ever necessary. when in truth, both marvel and DC films have equal claims and right to R and even violent more matured themed pg 13 films like TDK or DOFP or Spiderman 2 because their comics made enough room for that.

I do think R is not going to go anywhere. It is just too good that the only 2 DC films in 2021 are R movies and both well received even if it was for completely different reasons.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-06-2021 at 04:17 AM.

Niffleheim

Fair I guess, although this is about Deadpool level in my opinion actually. The first bit was no worse than the early highway scene I think.
    I guess they have different ways or style of violence presentations then.

I liked Idris Elba as Bloodsport. He's what Deadshot was meant to be but wasn't in the first movie.
    I guess you can say the first film dodged a bullet then because Smith's Deadshot had charisma and was just plain cooler. Bloodsport is the same dish made worse. This movie would have been better if Bloodsport was dropped altogether and Elba was given someone else to play.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I guess you can say the first film dodged a bullet then because Smith's Deadshot had charisma and was just plain cooler. Bloodsport is the same dish made worse. This movie would have been better if Bloodsport was dropped altogether and Elba was given someone else to play.
    I liked Elba's "edge". His character had a weariness to him that I loved.

Will Smith wasn't terrible as Dead Shot but he doesn't always come across as "bad ass".