Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    That's just speculation. One could also speculate that some critics just gave the movie a good review to avoid getting harassed by the most toxic of all fanbases. I read some reviews that brought up plenty of negative points and still gave the movie a fresh rating so it felt like they actually thought the movie was bad but didn't want to provoke a shitstorm so they gave it a 6/10 and called it a day.
    Of course it is. And your speculation is just as valid as mine. The only difference between me and some others is that I'm open to all the speculation possibly being true (while understanding that I can't know for sure). Whereas some people want it so that the audience score for the Snyder Cut is definitely artificially inflated or, to use a different example, the audience score for the recently released He-Man show on Netflix is definitely artificially deflated but the critics' score for the Snyder Cut and He-Man are definitely pristine and true. And I can't agree with that.

Bringing it back to The Suicide Squad, though. I don't really follow entertainment news so I didn't know about the Peacemaker spinoff TV series until reading this thread. I'm surprised. While I did enjoy Cena playing Peacemaker, if someone had told me there would be a spinoff series of a Suicide Squad character, he would've probably been my 4th guess as to which one.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Okay, but do Hollywood producers still believe Will Smith is that giant of a star? When was his last smash hit? I think you can rest easy unless Elba voluntarily decides to walk away from doing superhero films.

Which part? When all of the Suicide Squad were disobeying her orders? I don't think that's out of character for her, personally.
    I didn't see why she would be upset about them turning to fight Starro. In her mind, the main objective was completed. If the Squad fought Starro and died, well... Waller has no problems writing off this version of Task Force X. If they win, she could spin it into a positive outcome for her and America. For her to get all pissy and threaten to blow their heads off, when it was more likely that they were about to be squished by a giant alien starfish, was just bizarre to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I didn't see why she would be upset about them turning to fight Starro. In her mind, the main objective was completed. If the Squad fought Starro and died, well... Waller has no problems writing off this version of Task Force X. If they win, she could spin it into a positive outcome for her and America. For her to get all pissy and threaten to blow their heads off, when it was more likely that they were about to be squished by a giant alien starfish, was just bizarre to me.
    I just realized this is a huge spoiler so you probably need to edit it. So was mine, which is why I removed it.
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 08-06-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Ultimate Member

Of course it is. And your speculation is just as valid as mine. The only difference between me and some others is that I'm open to all the speculation possibly being true (while understanding that I can't know for sure). Whereas some people want it so that the audience score for the Snyder Cut is definitely artificially inflated or, to use a different example, the audience score for the recently released He-Man show on Netflix is definitely artificially deflated but the critics' score for the Snyder Cut and He-Man are definitely pristine and true. And I can't agree with that.

Bringing it back to The Suicide Squad, though. I don't really follow entertainment news so I didn't know about the Peacemaker spinoff TV series until reading this thread. I'm surprised. While I did enjoy Cena playing Peacemaker, if someone had told me there would be a spinoff series of a Suicide Squad character, he would've probably been my 4th guess as to which one.
    A Peacemaker series should have been your first guess, as he'd be the cheapest to produce

Incredible Member

spoilers:
    Ah, I see where you're coming from now. While we still disagree, I think you make a good, pragmatic point. Our difference is only in our understanding of Waller. You believe her pragmatism is greater than her need for control and need for Task Force X to obey her commands. I believe it's the opposite.

Also, I do think Waller wants Task Force X to remain covert, which I believe she explained early in the movie. And a big showdown with Starro endangers that and did end up exposing the team to the public.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by hairys; 08-06-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I just realized this is a huge spoiler so you probably need to edit it. So was mine, which is why I removed it.
    spoilers:
    Could be wrong, but I believe at this point in the movie she thought all the data was destroyed. She didn't know that Bloodsport had a disk.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    A Peacemaker series should have been your first guess, as he'd be the cheapest to produce
    Ha, that's true. Too many VFX rats needed to be produced if it's Ratcatcher, for example.
    Last edited by hairys; 08-06-2021 at 03:18 PM.

spoilers:
    Ah, I see where you're coming from now. While we still disagree, I think you make a good, pragmatic point. Our difference is only in our understanding of Waller. You believe her pragmatism is greater than her need for control and need for Task Force X to obey her commands. I believe it's the opposite.

Also, I do think Waller wants Task Force X to remain covert, which I believe she explained early in the movie. And a big showdown with Starro endangers that and did end up exposing the team to the public.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I can see that. And they did end up on the news, though the cover was that they had escaped from prison.

My frame of reference for Waller was the Justice League cartoon. I feel she was more pragmatic in that show than she is in the comics. There was also Arrow, but that was a terribly miscast Waller.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 08-06-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Again, we have a whole other topic for spoilers, guys.

Edited to remove spoilers ��
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 08-06-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Except for when they are not actually DC movies, and someone is just bound and determined to hold onto the idea that it is a DC movie?
    JOKER is a DC movie, I don't know why people keep trying to make this argument...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Again, we have a whole other topic for spoilers, guys.
    Good call, I went back and spoiler-tagged my posts.

After Earth says hello regarding Smith's movie choices
    Meh, look at any actors career and you are bound to get some clunkers. Still didn't take away the fact that he is pretty good at knowing the right time to bail from a franchise. Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth together wasn't enough to save MIB. I thought that was a good movie. It just needed a romance to make the casuals care.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Because James Gunn will hammer the square pegs until they fit into his story's round holes. Ask fans of the Guardians Of The Galaxy comic how close Gunn got to their actual characterization.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Because James Gunn will hammer the square pegs until they fit into his story's round holes. Ask fans of the Guardians Of The Galaxy comic how close Gunn got to their actual characterization.
    Given her depiction in other comics and in the last movie, Gunn's Amanda Waller is downright cuddly.

In Arrow, she was willing to nuke a damn city because of a handful of guys on super steroids

Given her depiction in other comics and in the last movie, Gunn's Amanda Waller is downright cuddly.

In Arrow, she was willing to nuke a damn city because of a handful of guys on super steroids
    I missed Arrow's budget Suicide Squad after they killed them all off. Didn't miss Waller- just horribly miscast. The actress that played Samandra Watson in season 6 and the actress that played Col. Haley on Supergirl would have both made for excellent TV Wallers. But for the big screen, Viola Davis was as born to play Waller as Margot Robbie was to play Harley.

Ultimate Member

I missed Arrow's budget Suicide Squad after they killed them all off. Didn't miss Waller- just horribly miscast. The actress that played Samandra Watson in season 6 and the actress that played Col. Haley on Supergirl would have both made for excellent TV Wallers. But for the big screen, Viola Davis was as born to play Waller as Margot Robbie was to play Harley.
    Nah, CC Pounder should have been Waller