Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

https://twitter.com/samba_tv/status/1424773107815010312

2.8 million households watched it according to Samba TV.

For reference:

Mortal Kombat: 3.8 million

Godzilla vs Kong: 3.6 million (5-day weekend)

WW1984: 2.2 million

ZSJL: 1.8 million
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    https://twitter.com/samba_tv/status/1424773107815010312

2.8 million households watched it according to Samba TV.

For reference:

Mortal Kombat: 3.8 million

Godzilla vs Kong: 3.6 million (5-day weekend)

WW1984: 2.2 million

ZSJL: 1.8 million
    Eek. Assuming Samba is accurate, I’m surprised it couldn’t beat Mortal Kombat at least. At least it’s more than WW84 and ZSJL.

TBH there were more than a few times when I thought, "What if this was Deadshot instead of Bloodsport?" Especially when more and more of the original squad were biting the dust, but then even moreso upon reflection after the movie and thinking about his daughter (what an Expy).

But I also mean no offense to Idris Elba. He was great as the team's straight man, even the rare times when he made some (big) mistakes. And I'm glad that Gunn didn't have Bloodsport and Flag compete for leadership since there was already Peacemaker. One thing I appreciated was sometimes Bloodsport or Flag would come up with a plan and the other would counter with a different idea, but there was no competition -- they just went along with whatever the last idea was, whoever between the two made it (like the rooftop scene). That's professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I’m surprised it couldn’t beat Mortal Kombat at least.
    Really? I would assume the opposite, that one should go in not expecting it to beat Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat is a hugely and insanely popular videogame franchise that's probably been played by several hundred million people I'm wildly guessing. Meanwhile the Suicide Squad is a niche semi-obscure property most people only know of from the 2016 movie, which was shit. Comparing them, expecting it to do better than Mortal Kombat seems rather unfair, even if in this case it is the much better movie.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Really? I would assume the opposite, that one should go in not expecting it to beat Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat is a hugely and insanely popular videogame franchise that's probably been played by several hundred million people I'm wildly guessing. Meanwhile the Suicide Squad is a niche semi-obscure property most people only know of from the 2016 movie, which was shit. Comparing them, expecting it to do better than Mortal Kombat seems rather unfair, even if in this case it is the much better movie.
    Mortal Kombat is certainly well known and popular...but movies based on video games have a definite stigma to them so I know I certainly wasn't expect Mortal Kombat to do as well as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Mortal Kombat is certainly well known and popular...but movies based on video games have a definite stigma to them so I know I certainly wasn't expect Mortal Kombat to do as well as it did.
    DCEU also has a definite stigma to it (slowly shaking it off, but still there), as does Suicide Squad because of the previous film. Meanwhile, yes videogame movies have stigma, but there's been improvements with them getting better recently (Sonic was even a surprise hit), and Mortal Kombat already had one good movie before back in the 90s.

I think, although a lot of people thought 2016's Suicide Squad was rubbish (myself included), it made a really decent amount at the box office - an amount that implies second viewings etc (although to be fair, I think that was probably because of the inclusion of Joker more than anything). Although MK is popular, I thought people would be more inclined to see a film that has had much more positive word of mouth, and a better cast.

Again, just figured positive word of mouth would have prevailed over the mixed bag of MK

I think, although a lot of people thought 2016's Suicide Squad was rubbish (myself included), it made a really decent amount at the box office - an amount that implies second viewings etc (although to be fair, I think that was probably because of the inclusion of Joker more than anything). Although MK is popular, I thought people would be more inclined to see a film that has had much more positive word of mouth, and a better cast.

Again, just figured positive word of mouth would have prevailed over the mixed bag of MK
    I still think the first film despite making money hurt this like Batman v Superman hurt Justice League. And I think word of mouth can only do so much. This isn't surprising to me at all.

Ultimate Member

I still think the first film despite making money hurt this like Batman v Superman hurt Justice League. And I think word of mouth can only do so much. This isn't surprising to me at all.
    Yeah, I think the reception of the first SS hurt this one.

Idk, it seemes to me like word of mouth films are perfect ones to watch for no extra cost on HBO max. Like, if it was a premiere access thing I wouldn't be surprised, but when it's free with your subscription I'd expect otherwise.

Idk, it seemes to me like word of mouth films are perfect ones to watch for no extra cost on HBO max. Like, if it was a premiere access thing I wouldn't be surprised, but when it's free with your subscription I'd expect otherwise.
    Depends on if you are even keeping up with the word of mouth on this movie - easy to write it off because of the first, and the not great marketing, and never look into what people are saying about it. Add the R rating, the confusion on the state of the DCEU, the lack of a bankable star, it just seems very predictable to me that it'd have more trouble than Mortal Kombat despite being a better film.

BANNED

DCEU also has a definite stigma to it (slowly shaking it off, but still there), as does Suicide Squad because of the previous film. Meanwhile, yes videogame movies have stigma, but there's been improvements with them getting better recently (Sonic was even a surprise hit), and Mortal Kombat already had one good movie before back in the 90s.
    I don't think DCEU really does have a stigma, at least outside of the media hysteria that were taking shots at DC because they could not be as fun as Marvel movies, But With the success of the Snyder Cut movement and even the naysayers admitting that Snyder did have a vision and serious film credibility, it is hard to argue DC is stigmatised, maybe that was a thing in 2016 but between, 2019 to now 2021. DCEU and DC are more vindicated. although I did notice in the past few days, there seemed to be the forced negative coverage of the movie despite the em....''high RT'' Score. it's like some out there just wanted the film to flop or just wanted to put DC down, with no clear objective thought.

It was noteworthy to read Rob Liefeld on twitter this Sunday, claiming after the box office result of SS 2 that DC is a damaged brand and cannot keep up with marvel.

https://www.cbr.com/rob-liefeld-dc-c...p-with-marvel/

But Liefeld forgets that Before COVID, they had tremendous success with Joker, Birds of Prey was its little own thing for a base, Snyder got a good swan song and apology after the Cut was released, also Gunn even said recently that he was not aware or cared about the events of Birds Of Prey when he wrote SS 2, which means, even though there is a DCEU, their story can stand alone and that is a very important strength factor of movies, especially superhero filmsAlso it is really laughable for Rob Liefled to say DC is a damaged brand when all he did was rip off Deathstroke to create Deadpool.

There was comicbookmovie, the last few days of that site was dedicated to constant bad to toxic coverage of SS 2 movie flopping, even before we got the results. so I don't see it as stigma, I think some just want DCEU to stay down with little objective standings.
    Also I do wonder if the only reason Rob said what he said was because he is worried, Deadpoool 3 r rated may not live up to the this movie and how it used it R. I did mention it about 4-5 days ago when I said on this thread. Reynolds and his Deadpool 3 should be sweating after reading how SS 2 has now done their R. I don't think it is a coincidence now that Liefeld is taking a shot and SS 2 and DC. I already predicted something like this was bound to happen, with something Deadpool related and SS2. Leave it to Liefeld, the creator of Deadpool himself to start the gaslighting.

Now as for the no spin real angle of the box office. SS2 is just a case of very unfortunate events, however in 8 months or a year, people would not look at this movie as a flop like we see another comic film flops like dark phoenix, Whedon Justice League or worse Fantastic 4 2015. We are currently in just a different era with films in this COVID Pandemic to think too deeply about the if onlys. let the movie just run it course in cinemas. whatever the Box Office.

I don't feel WB will sweat over it, if this had been The Batman. then everyone from fans and WB should and would be sweating. There is just way too much at stake to put The Batman on streaming unlike the DCEU movies that are now made more to be fun or whacky. SS 2 and Wonder Woman 1984.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-09-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Depends on if you are even keeping up with the word of mouth on this movie - easy to write it off because of the first, and the not great marketing, and never look into what people are saying about it. Add the R rating, the confusion on the state of the DCEU, the lack of a bankable star, it just seems very predictable to me that it'd have more trouble than Mortal Kombat despite being a better film.
    True enough, I'm not in a HBO Max country so i can't speak to how its marketing has been handled. Where I'm from, it seems to have been marketed a hell of a lot better than Mortal Kombat, and I just figured that social media reactions and constant talk about it on media sites (lots of interviews/reviews on publications) would have had a positive effect on its streaming numbers. Obviously the brand is still damaged from previous failures.

I think it will be interesting to see how Flash does next year as it looks like it may be setting DC's mission statement going forward for the public. So ironic that WB thought they could short cut to a cinematic universe back in 2016, now they're still picking up the pieces 5 years later. I hope this doesn't deter them too much from making movies on lesser known IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't think DCEU really does have a stigma, at least outside of the media hysteria that were taking shots at DC because they could not be as fun as Marvel movies, But With the success of the Snyder Cut movement and even the naysayers admitting that Snyder did have a vision and serious film credibility, it is hard to argue DC is stigmatised, maybe that was a thing in 2016 but between, 2019 to now 2021. DCEU and DC are more vindicated. although I did notice in the past few days, there seemed to be the forced negative coverage of the movie despite the em....''high RT'' Score. it's like some out there just wanted the film to flop or just wanted to put DC down, with no clear objective thought.

It was noteworthy to read Rob Liefeld on twitter this Sunday, claiming after the box office result of SS 2 that DC is a damaged brand and cannot keep up with marvel.

https://www.cbr.com/rob-liefeld-dc-c...p-with-marvel/

But Liefeld forgets that Before COVID, they had tremendous success with Joker, Birds of Prey was its little own thing for a base, Snyder got a good swan song and apology after the Cut was released, also Gunn even said recently that he was not aware or cared about the events of Birds Of Prey when he wrote SS 2, which means, even though there is a DCEU, their story can stand alone and that is a very important strength factor of movies, especially superhero films

Also it is really laughable for Rob Liefled to say DC is a damaged brand when all he did was rip off Deathstroke to create Deadpool, and then there was comicbookmovie, the last few days of that site was dedicated to constant bad to toxic coverage of SS 2 movie flopping, even before we got the results. so I don't see it as stigma, I think some just want DCEU to stay down with little objective standings.

Also I do wonder if the only reason Rob said what he said was because he is afraid, Deadpoool 3 ''r rated'' may not live up to the this movie and how it used it R. I did mention it about 4-5 days ago when I said on this thread. Reynolds and his Deadpool 3 should be sweating after reading how SS 2 has now done their R. I don't think it is a coincidence now that Liefeld is taking shot and SS 2 and DC. I already predicated something like this was bound to happen, with something Deadpool related. Leave it to Liefeld, to start the gaslighting.

Now as for the no spin real angle of the box office. SS2 is just a case of very unfortunate events, however in 8 months or a year, people would not look at this movie as a flop like we see another comic film flops like dark phoenix, Whedon Justice League or worse Fantastic 4 2015. We are currently in just a different era with films in this COVID Pandemic to think too deeply about the if onlys. let the movie just run it course in cinemas. whatever the Box Office.

I don't feel WB will sweat over it, if this had been The Batman. then everyone from fans and WB should and would be sweating. There is just way too much at stake to put The Batman on streaming unlike the DCEU movies that are now made more to be fun or whack. SS 2 and Wonder Woman 1984.
    In all fairness to Rob Liefeld (whose art, writing, and twitter I LOATHE), he's not as biased as you may think - he has taken a fair few shots at Marvel/Disney over the years in regards to the Deadpool franchise. However, I do think he's right in this case - WB has had terrible leadership in the past with this brand (as evidenced by the NEED for a Snyder Cut movement) which has led to them dragging behind Marvel in terms of popularity (talking about general audience). They have definitely started to right the ship, but if WB are looking to have something as lucrative as the MCU, they need to start making movies that appeal to everyone. As you've mentioned, Birds of Prey didn't have a wide enough reach, Snyder Cut was largely successful amongst its own fanbase, WW84 didn't have a great reception, and so far TSS is underperforming.

From a purely business perspective, it seems that DC is still playing catch up with Marvel. If they want to truly compete with Marvel, I hope the execs realise that they have to keep the IP building from the ground up - I think this movie is a great building block for them and they should be patient.

True enough, I'm not in a HBO Max country so i can't speak to how its marketing has been handled. Where I'm from, it seems to have been marketed a hell of a lot better than Mortal Kombat, and I just figured that social media reactions and constant talk about it on media sites (lots of interviews/reviews on publications) would have had a positive effect on its streaming numbers. Obviously the brand is still damaged from previous failures.

I think it will be interesting to see how Flash does next year as it looks like it may be setting DC's mission statement going forward for the public. So ironic that WB thought they could short cut to a cinematic universe back in 2016, now they're still picking up the pieces 5 years later. I hope this doesn't deter them too much from making movies on lesser known IP.
    I am in an HBO country, and I think that might have made a difference - the marketing here in the US felt...very muted. If I weren't a fan on a site like this it could've been easy for me to forget about it I think. But then again, maybe that's just because marketing is moving more and more to social media, where I just am not.

Well, I agree the Flash will be the mission statement for the DCEU, but not necessarily for DC - there's still The Batman and further non-DCEU DC films to consider. I'm interested to see how it plays out with audience decisions - will the audience let the DCEU redeem itself, or do they flock to the films outside the shared universe approach?