Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it was Gail Simone who asked on twitter if Tom Hanks had ever actually played a bad guy before.
    Hmm! Now that you mention it, I honest can't think of a role where Hanks was a bad guy. Kinda like the reverse of Gary Oldman who rarely plays a good guy (save for Commissioner Gordon in the Dark Knight trilogy).
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hmm! Now that you mention it, I honest can't think of a role where Hanks was a bad guy. Kinda like the reverse of Gary Oldman who rarely plays a good guy (save for Commissioner Gordon in the Dark Knight trilogy).
    "Road to Perdition" was the closest he ever came to doing that I think.

The first Toy Story?

I never saw it, but was he a bad guy in the Coen Bros movie "The Ladykillers?" He played a southern dandy and he and his gang wanted to kill an old lady for some reason...

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I never saw it, but was he a bad guy in the Coen Bros movie "The Ladykillers?" He played a southern dandy and he and his gang wanted to kill an old lady for some reason...
    Yeah. It was a role played by Alec Guinness in the original. He was definitely a bad guy. Kind of a forgotten Coen Bros. movie, it's got a bad reputation but I thought it was funny.

And George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. But yeah, he does bad guy very well. Undecided whether Mank is a good guy or bad guy so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    "Road to Perdition" was the closest he ever came to doing that I think.
    Hanks was also a bad guy in Ladykillers.(2004)

It's funny too because Oldman was cast as Gordon in part because Nolan based some of the casting to challenge audience expectations of the cast. By that point, Oldman was primarily a villainous actor, and on the same token, Liam Neeson was often cast in heroic and/or mentorship roles. Nolan cast Oldman and Neeson to go against their type.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Him plus Jared Leto and Ezra Miller.

I don't have any issues with any of the other DCEU castings even in instances where I think the films uses of them let them down, but those three are a tripple threat. Though I thought Eisenberg was a little better in the Snyder Cut.

I also think Tobey McGuire is an awful Peter Parker.
    I so agree about Miller. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone likes his take on the Flash. It is nothing like Barry or Wally, but still tries to be some weird hybrid of the two which just makes it all the more terrible. Add in the fact that I just don't see Miller as a leading man at all. I have absolutely no desire to see him try and carry his own Flash movie.

Boisterously Confused

Oldman was also a very likeable, if doomed, Sirius Black. But then, that's also audience expectations judo, because Sirius is first brought to the audience's attention as a despicable traitor and murderer.

Was Churchill a villain?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Was Churchill a villain?
    Eh. India and most of the Middle East would loudly vote yes. Anybody outside there would be up for grabs. Except Bush43. He'd fight anybody in Winnie's defense.

Oh. And Poland would like a harsh word.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 03-31-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: I was unclear. again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Wrong actor, bad writing, bad direction, bad characterization. It was all bad.
    You've read my mind. Couldn't agree more. Just a total failure on every conceivable level.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Hayden is actually quite a good actor. Life as a House, which I'd seen just before Ep 2, made me so hopeful of what Anakin might be. He is more of a character actor than an action hero, certainly. But both Ewan and Natalie Portman are also capable of giving brilliant performances, and only Ewan was able to get around George's terrible directorial choices in the prequels.

Something to keep in mind when you watch those films, George is the one on set telling them to tamp down their emotion and enthusiasm. They are wooden because that's what he wanted, for whatever reason. I've seen all three comment on it in interviews over the years. What's on screen is what George Lucas wanted, even though he had actors of a significantly higher caliber than the work suggests. It's damned odd, but nothing to be done about it now.
    It was a mixture of poor direction and bad scripting. Some of the stuff Hayden and Natalie were given to work with was terrible. George is great when it comes to story ideas and plot points, but he can't write a script to save himself.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Keanu as John Constantine.

I know Keanu gets a lot more respect these days than be did back then, but Constantine MUST be British. If he's not, anything else about the film is moot.
    Yeah, this one bothers me a lot. The movie is actually pretty solid and IMO, Keanu is just Keanu...and he is usually very likable in movies he makes. I actually like Constantine a lot, but I hated the fact that they didn't get a British blonde actor to play the role.

Recently, I started thinking Daniel Craig would be good. I don't know how charming or funny Craig can be, but he kind of looks like Constantine.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Finn Jones as Iron Fist.
    I was actually very hopeful that Marvel & Netflix may have cast someone who had a chance to surprise in a bigger role, but not only was Jones absolutely horrible, but the show was an abomination. Can't believe it actually went two seasons. Scott Buck can eat ****!

As for me?

James Marsden as Scott Summers
    Famke Jenssen as Jean Grey
    Hugh Jackman as Logan
    Halle Berry as Ororo Munroe
    Anna Paquin as Rogue
    Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy
    Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique
    Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse
    Tye Sheridan as Scott Summers
    Sophie Turner as Jean Grey
    Ben Hardy as Warren Worthington III
    Olivia Munn as Elizabeth Braddock

Yes, the X-Men are a little too near and dear to my heart for the movies for casting to be so subpar.

I was pretty excited about the MCU getting X-Men, but then I saw the last couple of Spider-Man movies with the Sony/Marvel Studios collaboration and I am less than hopeful.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/