Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Films or tv shows ruined by casting

There's a film or tv show you read about and you're excited about it. Maybe it's based on a book or comic that you've read or you just get excited about the premise.

And then they cast an important character or characters with the wrong actor and it ruins it for you.

Ever happened?

And then they cast an important character or characters with the wrong actor and it ruins it for you.
    Ruby Rose quickly comes to mind

#1 Eisenberg as Luther in Batman/Superman
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Keanu as John Constantine.

I know Keanu gets a lot more respect these days than be did back then, but Constantine MUST be British. If he's not, anything else about the film is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have to wonder how much of that is Snyder's conception and direction of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I have to wonder how much of that is Snyder's conception and direction of the character.
    Wrong actor, bad writing, bad direction, bad characterization. It was all bad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Finn Jones as Iron Fist.

Most recently, Coming 2 America. The returning cast are all favorites, the new additions were fantastic. The only miscasting was the new prince, who, unfortunately, is the central protagonist for the entire film. His love interest(s) were much better.

I'm not a fan of Will Smith, Scarlett Johansson and Chris Hemsworth, so I save myself the time and money. Different strokes and all that.

One could argue the prequel trilogy Anakins in Star Wars, although that could've been Lucas's directing as at least Hayden has had some decent other roles (although his post-SW stuff has mainly been lower profile movies and he's kind of semi-retired now I think) and did OK in parts of Revenge of the Sith.

Also Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan in INTO DARKNESS. He's a great actor and all but he's completely miscast in the role (and yes I'm aware that the character's face was probably altered by Section 31). Far more brooding than the far more charismatic Montalban, either in SPACE SEED or Wrath of Khan.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-28-2021 at 01:06 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    One could argue the prequel trilogy Anakins in Star Wars, although that could've been Lucas's directing as at least Hayden has had some decent other roles (although his post-SW stuff has mainly been lower profile movies and he's kind of semi-retired now I think) and did OK in parts of Revenge of the Sith.
    Yeah, I lay those completely on Lucas.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

Also Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan in INTO DARKNESS. He's a great actor and all but he's completely miscast in the role (and yes I'm aware that the character's face was probably altered by Section 31). Far more brooding than the far more charismatic Montalban, either in SPACE SEED or Wrath of Khan.
    Nearly everyone gave a lackluster performance in the prequels, but I don't think it was Lucas' fault in that instance, I just think that Hayden Christensen is just a bad actor.

He was pretty good in Shattered Glass, but he gives a performance in Jumper that might be worse then his role in the prequels.

For a movie like Jumper to work, you need someone who a. Has charisma and b. Is believable as an action star.

When i first heard about Ben Affleck being the next Batman i must admit that it kinda lowered my interest for the upcoming BvsS movie quite a bit. Well, that and Snyder directing it of course.

And now it's Robert Pattinson having the role lol. Now, i don't hate the man, i actually think he's a pretty damn good actor and i really wish him best but yeah, it wasn't exactly a champagne bottle opening news for being honest.

At least there is still hope for Robert, nothing has been "ruined" so far lol.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    100% This

The rest of the cast did great whether you liked the script or not. Eisenberg on the other hand was flat out horrible

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    100% This

The rest of the cast did great whether you liked the script or not. Eisenberg on the other hand was flat out horrible
    I can't decide how much of that was Eisenberg, who's wrong for the character, and how much was the script, which overly reimagined the character.