Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Hugh Jackman as Logan
    Surely, you jest??? His performance "ruined" the film? Come on, now! I think a lot of your X-men list is less CASTING, and more how the character was written/delivered. That's not a casting issue. Olivia Munn is half-British/half-Asian, damn smart and looks perfect for Psylocke. If you can suggest a more appropriate casting, I'd love to hear it. It was just a badly written character/not that interesting (I didn't think it was bad, personally); either way that's not casting.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Surely, you jest??? His performance "ruined" the film? Come on, now! I think a lot of your X-men list is less CASTING, and more how the character was written/delivered. That's not a casting issue. Olivia Munn is half-British/half-Asian, damn smart and looks perfect for Psylocke. If you can suggest a more appropriate casting, I'd love to hear it. It was just a badly written character/not that interesting (I didn't think it was bad, personally); either way that's not casting.
    I'm a little too OCD when it comes to casting. It bothers me that Hugh Jackman is so frikkin' tall. His nose is too sharp and, IMO, he never felt like the guy who a piano wire that might snap.

As far as more appropriate casting...as a fan, there is a good chance I am completely off in my casting. I love the X-Men so much, that I already did the fan-casting. There is a very, very good chance that I would have put together a movie where the cast had almost zero chemistry, but they would have felt more authentic to me personally if the actors and actresses playing the roles I cast them in. I want to give someone like Olivia Munn credit for making sure that the outfit was purple, when Singer was set on making the outfit black. I have also seen enough examples of actors in bad movies being memorable to know that it is possible.

If you are really curious, yeah...I can PM you who I would have cast.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Yeah, this one bothers me a lot. The movie is actually pretty solid and IMO, Keanu is just Keanu...and he is usually very likable in movies he makes. I actually like Constantine a lot, but I hated the fact that they didn't get a British blonde actor to play the role.

Recently, I started thinking Daniel Craig would be good. I don't know how charming or funny Craig can be, but he kind of looks like Constantine.

I was actually very hopeful that Marvel & Netflix may have cast someone who had a chance to surprise in a bigger role, but not only was Jones absolutely horrible, but the show was an abomination. Can't believe it actually went two seasons. Scott Buck can eat ****!

As for me?

James Marsden as Scott Summers
    Famke Jenssen as Jean Grey
    Hugh Jackman as Logan
    Halle Berry as Ororo Munroe
    Anna Paquin as Rogue
    Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy
    Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique
    Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse
    Tye Sheridan as Scott Summers
    Sophie Turner as Jean Grey
    Ben Hardy as Warren Worthington III
    Olivia Munn as Elizabeth Braddock

Yes, the X-Men are a little too near and dear to my heart for the movies for casting to be so subpar.

I was pretty excited about the MCU getting X-Men, but then I saw the last couple of Spider-Man movies with the Sony/Marvel Studios collaboration and I am less than hopeful.
    Spider-man has input from Marvel and Sony heads. Everything Marvel does with Spidey still has to pass by Sony first before they can do it. With the X-men, Disney owns them now lock, stock and two smoking barrels. You won't have multiple opinions on every aspect of the production like Spider-man has.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Spider-man has input from Marvel and Sony heads. Everything Marvel does with Spidey still has to pass by Sony first before they can do it. With the X-men, Disney owns them now lock, stock and two smoking barrels. You won't have multiple opinions on every aspect of the production like Spider-man has.
    I can understand the idea of "too many cooks spoil the broth", but at the end of the day: the direction became Peter Parker being mentored by Tony Stark. Marvel Studios was so hard up on integrating the MCU elements, that it lost sight of what made Peter special. I absolutely hate the idea of having so many powers that you forget that you have them. I hated that Spider-Man had like 100+ web shooter combination that it became a one-and-done showcase. I thoroughly dislike the supporting cast taking up so much screen time that it took away time from Peter. I look at the Raimi trilogy and, despite my dislike of Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, the movies felt like there was emotions that resonated with me. I never felt anything for Holland, not when he was down nor when he was up. Holland does well with what he has to work with and I find him to be the best Peter and Spider-Man combo, but the movies he is in are absolutely vanilla.

As for the X-Men...Marvel Studios will have to really step up to impress me. I'm talking about catching lightning in a bottle type of game like they had with Iron Man or The Winter Soldier.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I have to say that I like Marsden as Cyclops, though he might have been too young when it first started. Being the straight edge boyscout fits him so well that the audience sided with him rather than Clark in Superman Returns, and he was cast in Westworld as a fake out, as in Teddy most fits that same archetype.

Rather, I blame the writers for squandering him as Cyclops, and his role as Teddy would have been perfect for Scott with the eventual struggles of the self and his own righteous yet heroic convictions.

John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I have to say that I like Marsden as Cyclops, though he might have been too young when it first started. Being the straight edge boyscout fits him so well that the audience sided with him rather than Clark in Superman Returns, and he was cast in Westworld as a fake out, as in Teddy most fits that same archetype.

Rather, I blame the writers for squandering him as Cyclops, and his role as Teddy would have been perfect for Scott with the eventual struggles of the self and his own righteous yet heroic convictions.
    Completely agree. Marsden was great as Scott. Most actors convey their emotions through their eyes, but his eyes were covered. And yet he did a fantastic job in emotional scenes.

The scene in X2 where Jean gets off the jet and he realizes she's about to sacrifice herself, he did an amazing job in that scene IMO.

But TPTB didn't seem to want to let Cyclops be a dominant character in those films. He was just another mutant with powers but they gave him very little to do otherwise.