Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default All Encompassing Stephen King Movie/TV

Generic dicussion thread for talking about the films adapted from King's books.

What do you think is the best Stephen King Movie?
    What do you think is the worst Stephen King Movie?
    What is the most overrated Stephen King Movie?
    What is the most underrated Stephen King Movie?

Well, let's see.

Best movie i have seen : The Green Mile

Worst movie i have seen : The Dark Tower maybe, to be fair there are a lot of other stinkers and i most likely have watched worst but that one is the most recent bad one i have watched so...

Most Overrated : It, first part, not that it's a bad movie or anything but i found it pretty average for being honest

Most underrated : gee, i don't know, so many movies...and i haven't seen 10% of them lol, 2013 Carrie? I have watched it recently and it was quite ok, no idea how loved or hated it actually is
    Last edited by Starter Set; 03-28-2021 at 02:27 AM.

I liked the Doctor Sleep movie more than the novel.

Creepshow is a favorite of mine, i just don't seem to get tired of it. I also love Kubrick's the Shining and DePalma's Carrie although i know King has issues with both adaptations. The Dead Zone is also quite good. Mr Mercedes has mostly been a decent tv series, although S2 was pretty weird. I didn't dig the recent HBO series (the Outsider, iirc) altho it started off pretty strong.

There have been a lot of pretty bad ones, i would say maximum overdrive may be the biggest cinematic clunker but at least it sticks out in my memory. Others i can barely remember like "needful things". i really thought rose red was a pretty bad tv miniseries but the more recent Stand adaptation might have it "beat" for worst, i never bothered to watch the final episode despite really liking the novel.

BANNED

What do you think is the best Stephen King Movie? The Green Mile. I will shill for this film because it needs to be a 50/50 split between Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption always and that is often not the case.

What do you think is the worst Stephen King Movie? The Dark Tower

What is the most overrated Stephen King Movie? No comment

What is the most underrated Stephen King Movie? No comment.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-28-2021 at 02:20 AM.

What are people's thoughts on 2017's Gerald's Game?

I feel like I would adore this movie if it was made before 2010. Digital film making really bugs me for reasons I can't successfully articulate. Every member of the cast gives their all for the role they are given, but the actor behind Elliott from ET is really something to write home about, playing the scariest child molester I've ever seen in a film. The scene where he manipulates the daughter into secrecy might be one of the most effectively chilling scenes in any horror movie I've come across. I just wish that the film built around it was better. It's dangerously easy to make a film set in one room to be a dull slog, unless it's exceptionally good like Twelve Angry Men and the trope of the protagonist communicating wifh imaginary versions of herself and those around her comes off as pseudo-intellectual.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 03-29-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Salem's Lot with Rutger Hauer and Rob Lowe, Stand by me, pet sematary, shining, Doctor sleep, needful things and sometimes they come back are all favorites

Favorite books are On Writing, the Stand, Danse Macabre, Finders keepers and Joyland
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 03-29-2021 at 11:52 AM.

I haven't seen (or read) Gerarld's game and honestly i don't really plan to ever do cause the story doesn't sound very interesting to me.

I need to watch Needful things though, i liked that book very much.

Oh as i see that the gentleman who posted before me started talking about his favorite books, well, don't mind if i do : 1) Pet Sematary, 2) It and 3) The Long Walk.

Spectacular Member

Best Movie: I admit I am surprised to see the votes for The Green Mile. I assumed most people would vote for Shawshank Redemption which is another amazing movie by the same director. My vote is going against those two popular movies. My vote for the best Stephen King movie is Stand By Me. It is a classic timeless story and the movie is still great after all these years.

Worst Movie: This opens up a lot of possibilities because you have numerous horrible sequels to movies (Pet Semetery 2, Children of the Corn sequels) that aren’t Stephen King stories. You can also look at movies that didn’t faithfully adapt the book (Children of the Corn, Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining). My pick is Stephen King Desperation. I will admit I still haven’t seen The Dark Tower.

Most Overated: One can easily vote Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining since it changes things from the book, but it is a horror classic that I love. My vote is for Carrie. Why? It is a movie that is referenced a lot in pop culture but it can’t hold my interest.

Most Underated: This is a tie for me. For the longest time I would say the movie 1408 which I still highly recommend. However lately I watched Doctor Sleep and like the person who posted earlier in the thread I enjoyed the movie a lot more than the book which is rare for me. I bought the director’s cut and I find that version even superior to the theatrical cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post
    Best Movie: I admit I am surprised to see the votes for The Green Mile. I assumed most people would vote for Shawshank Redemption which is another amazing movie by the same director. My vote is going against those two popular movies. My vote for the best Stephen King movie is Stand By Me. It is a classic timeless story and the movie is still great after all these years.

Worst Movie: This opens up a lot of possibilities because you have numerous horrible sequels to movies (Pet Semetery 2, Children of the Corn sequels) that aren’t Stephen King stories. You can also look at movies that didn’t faithfully adapt the book (Children of the Corn, Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining). My pick is Stephen King Desperation. I will admit I still haven’t seen The Dark Tower.

Most Overated: One can easily vote Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining since it changes things from the book, but it is a horror classic that I love. My vote is for Carrie. Why? It is a movie that is referenced a lot in pop culture but it can’t hold my interest.

Most Underated: This is a tie for me. For the longest time I would say the movie 1408 which I still highly recommend. However lately I watched Doctor Sleep and like the person who posted earlier in the thread I enjoyed the movie a lot more than the book which is rare for me. I bought the director’s cut and I find that version even superior to the theatrical cut.
    I actually prefer Pet Semetary 2 to the original, though both are good in my eyes.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I actually prefer Pet Semetary 2 to the original, though both are good in my eyes.
    It’s been years since I have seen part 2, but I remember being disappointed as a kid. Maybe I will need to give it a rewatch.