Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    So, what does anyone here think of those movies that won the oscars? Were the wins well deserved?
    I've seen a lot of this year's nominations; Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and Sound of Metal are the two best I've seen, but I've yet to see Minari or Nomadland. SO SO SO HAPPY Sir Anthony won, what an incredible triumph. Thrilled the ever fantastic Frances McDormand is the most decorated female actress alive today (with 3 Best Actress wins). It was such a hard year for movies, but I think all the main winners were very deserved. The only one I disagree with is "Soul" winning Best animated Feature. I think Wolfwalkers was far braver. Both had flaws, but the originality of Wolfwalkers pipped it for me, so would have liked to see it win.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I’m of the belief that most of the time the films that are nominated are mostly deserving. The winners are less important to me as how do you, define who did the best art?
    Completely agreed. As the nominations are chosen by those in the field, I feel it has that extra level or merit, that the winner doesn't necessarily get (due to everyone in every field voting for the win).

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I will say Anthony Hopkins gave my favorite performance of the year and I fear that people in these circles are going to be upset.
    Sadly true, and nearly everyone I'm seeing objecting on Twitter are asked "but did you see the Father" and (unsurprisingly) you get tumbleweed in response. You can't say it was the wrong choice, if you haven't seen what actually won.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Awards are meaningless, unless given meaning. That meaning can be found in many different ways.

When it comes to the Hugos (the award that I know best), there is a definite monetary value to the award. For Kameron Hurley, the Best Fan Writer Hugo in 2014 was worth $13,000—that's how much the Worldcon exposure and the "Hugo Winning Author" on the cover was valued in her advance for her next book. And that wasn't even for a best novel Hugo.

There is also a huge soft value in the networking that an award can give, if handled correctly by the recipient and the people handling the award. The value in self-esteem or self-worth is also not something to sneeze by, in seeing your name in the same list as Robert A Heinlein, Ursula K Le Guin, Theodore Sturgeon, Lois Bujold, and Kim Stanley Robinson.

But 90% of all awards are meaningless. In the field of written science fiction and fantasy you have the Hugos at the top, then a big leap to the Nebula, and then comes a whole lot of nothing. Awards like the Sidewise, the Tiptree, the Locus, or the Arthur C Clarke have strong niche followings and can cause plenty of discussion at times, but are basically meaningless for boosting an author's career—and those are well-established "midlist" awards.

The Nobels have value in another way: it's the one of the strongest ways that advanced popular science can reach a wide audience. The short introduction to the background of each prize is one of the highlights of the Nobel ceremony, and sent live on Swedish television. It is one of the few ways that science journalism is allowed to both make headlines and dig into the nuts and bolts of scientific discovery.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The Father destroyed me. My grandma died due to complications related to Alzheimer's Disease a few months ago and due to COVID restrictions, she couldn't be visited regularly, so her time was always divided by my Mom and her husband, so I hadn't seen her in over a year before she died. While I do believe I was biased, I was secretly rooting for Hopkins. He portrayed that disease so perfectly. The script had a lot to do with it too by understanding some of the subtleties such as the aggression, wishing for long dead parents, etc. But Hopkins took the script and owned it. One of his best performances in a career of legendary performances.

I don't quite agree on Soul. I have not seen Wolfwalkers, but I really want to. I am very annoyed at Best Animated Feature being an award that goes to Pixar automatically, but I thought Soul was their best effort with Wall-E and the only Pixar movie to make my Top 10 since I started making Top 10 lists maybe about 8 or 9 years ago. My opinion might change when I see Wolfwalkers, but I do think Soul was a triumph. Perhaps I should also point out my bias here as a fan of jazz too.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Awards are meaningless, unless given meaning. That meaning can be found in many different ways.

When it comes to the Hugos (the award that I know best), there is a definite monetary value to the award. For Kameron Hurley, the Best Fan Writer Hugo in 2014 was worth $13,000—that's how much the Worldcon exposure and the "Hugo Winning Author" on the cover was valued in her advance for her next book. And that wasn't even for a best novel Hugo.

There is also a huge soft value in the networking that an award can give, if handled correctly by the recipient and the people handling the award. The value in self-esteem or self-worth is also not something to sneeze by, in seeing your name in the same list as Robert A Heinlein, Ursula K Le Guin, Theodore Sturgeon, Lois Bujold, and Kim Stanley Robinson.

But 90% of all awards are meaningless. In the field of written science fiction and fantasy you have the Hugos at the top, then a big leap to the Nebula, and then comes a whole lot of nothing. Awards like the Sidewise, the Tiptree, the Locus, or the Arthur C Clarke have strong niche followings and can cause plenty of discussion at times, but are basically meaningless for boosting an author's career—and those are well-established "midlist" awards.

The Nobels have value in another way: it's the one of the strongest ways that advanced popular science can reach a wide audience. The short introduction to the background of each prize is one of the highlights of the Nobel ceremony, and sent live on Swedish television. It is one of the few ways that science journalism is allowed to both make headlines and dig into the nuts and bolts of scientific discovery.
    Best Fan Writer Hugo in 2014 was worth $13,000!? That is quite close to the Pulitzer Prize which is worth $15,000.

The Nobel Prize for Literature have the world's second richest literary prize. The Nobel Prize is worth 9,000,000 Swedish krona (equivalent to US$944,148

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...iterary_prizes

Pulitzer Prize is not even on the list. The last Prize on the list is worth US$85,487. That is 4 times more worth than a Pulitzer. The prize's name is Victorian Premier's Literary Awards. It is reportedly Australia's richest literary prize and it is worth Australian $125,000 (US$85,487)

Pulitzer Prize is not the richest literary prize in the USA. America's richest literary prize is The Dorothy and Lillian Gish Prize, worth US$300,000. That is much greater than the amount of Pulitzer Prize money.

Donald Windham Sandy M. Campbell Literature Prizes are worth US$165,000 and also from the United States
    Lannan Literary Awards are US$150,000 and also from the United States

So the Pulitzer Prize means very little to any writer who wanted recognition for their works?
    Last edited by Zauriel; 04-26-2021 at 06:08 AM.

The Pulitzer probably means someones career is secure for the rest of their life. It is far from worthless or meaningless.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I suppose we'll find out just how meaningless awards are after the ratings come in on last night's Oscars.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Best Fan Writer Hugo in 2014 was worth $13,000!? That is quite close to the Pulitzer Prize which is worth $15,000.
    No, the Best Fan Writer Hugo was valued to $13,000, in what it meant to the marketability for a single novel. I imagine a publisher who gets to put "Pulitzer winner" on a book will value that far higher than $13,000.

A decent cash prize will give an award some recognition, especially in its early days, but for any serious established prize (short of the Nobel prize in literature), the "soft" and marketing values will overshadow any prize money. This is especially so in the case of awards which manage to keep some finger on the pulse of the popular market.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I suppose we'll find out just how meaningless awards are after the ratings come in on last night's Oscars.
    It'll be millions who watched it... but not sure why how many watch it are a criteria of whether they are meaningful or not????
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I think it is more like how well Nomadland does after the win.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Academy Awards probably made the right choices in the acting categories, going for quality over narrative.

Glenn Close was due? Too bad, they liked Youn Yuh-jung better.

Frances McDormand doesn't need a third Oscar, while Viola Davis hasn't gotten a lead award yet, and Carey Mulligan is kinda due? So what, they liked Nomadland.

It's the only chance to honor Boseman? It may have been an upset, but there are very few people saying Hopkins gave a weaker performance.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Between October and March there are 22 different film awards. Not to count all the music awards. Celebs love patting themselves on the back. They are like college Bowl games. So many. Of course they are meaningless.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ow-viewers-abc

Less than ten million people watched the Oscars. How is that for ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I've seen a lot of this year's nominations; Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and Sound of Metal are the two best I've seen, but I've yet to see Minari or Nomadland. SO SO SO HAPPY Sir Anthony won, what an incredible triumph. Thrilled the ever fantastic Frances McDormand is the most decorated female actress alive today (with 3 Best Actress wins). It was such a hard year for movies, but I think all the main winners were very deserved. The only one I disagree with is "Soul" winning Best animated Feature. I think Wolfwalkers was far braver. Both had flaws, but the originality of Wolfwalkers pipped it for me, so would have liked to see it win.
    Like i said, I haven't gone into a theater in a long time, because I am no longer comfortable with crowds. Maybe I shall watch Anthony Hopkins' movie "father" on video. I've watched some of his other movies, including Solace and The Two Popes before. He was darn good. An excellent actor.

Maybe I will also watch Nomadland

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Completely agreed. As the nominations are chosen by those in the field, I feel it has that extra level or merit, that the winner doesn't necessarily get (due to everyone in every field voting for the win).
    The nominations that haven't won feel like a second place.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Speaking about the Nobel prizes for physics, chemistry and physiology or medicine, I would argue that they are increasingly losing meaning. Research is so collaborative now and so many people contribute so much, that one to three people being put up for an award feels pointless. That just isn't how we function anymore. There are other awards that are awarded, which all who make significant contributions to a body of work can receive during their career. I think that in a strange way, people outside of the field care more about the Nobel prize for physiology or medicine than we do within the field.
    Science awards have been given to multiple people for a while now, back in 1957 they missed out one person despite giving it to two people.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Awards are fine. But the shows/presentations is dull, stiff & old-fashioned. It's a massive bore.

So until I see Jack Black ride onto the stage on a Roman war-chariot & Sparta-kick a Trump impersonator into the orchestra pit, I'm not interested.