Page 28 of 95 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I don't agree with everything you're saying, but this here is spot on.

Telepathy, at it's core, is meant to be communication without speaking. Being able to send and receive thoughts mind to mind. Nothing inherent to it requires a great range (Spock could only do it by touch!), and it would not be out of line *at all* for most 'telepaths' to have a range not much greater than the human voice (a dozen yards, further if 'shouting' which could put strain on the 'shouter' and even make them 'lose their voice' telepathically speaking, for a time!).

But instead, Marvel based all telepaths on Xavier with his global range (who was supposed to be the best!) and had even nobodies like Mentat / Robert Zephaniah idly boast about reading the minds of people in Hollywood when he was in New York. That was a big mistake, IMO. Xavier was always meant to be the master. Not the template for what every single new telepath could do out of the box!

And then more and more powers got slapped on. Congratulations, you just hit puberty and your X-gene activated and you're a telepath! Tell him what he won, Vanna!

Send and Receive Thoughts.
    Astral Projection.
    Mind Control.
    Language Translation.
    Absorbing Skills / Languages from Others.
    Instantly teaching Skills/Languages to Others.
    Emotion Control.
    Affecting the Body of another (stopping someone's heart, for instance).
    Projecting Telepathic Shields to protect others from other Telepaths.
    Psychic Illusions (messing with sensory impressions).
    Psychic Invisibility.
    Memory Tampering.
    Mental Blasts.
    Psychic Knives/Swords/Guns.

Many of these entirely useful sub-powers are capable of sustaining an entire character on their own! Translation - Cypher, Skill Absorption - Prodigy, Illusion - Masterminds, Mirage, Invisibility - Cipher, Astral Projection - Scanner, Trance, Mind Control - Karma, Emotion Control - Empath, Memory Tampering - Beautiful Dreamer, Forget Me Not, etc.

And instead of saying that any of them might be one of the unique expressions of power that some master telepath like Xavier had developed over the decades, every one of them sort of randomly becomes available to Shadow King, Psylocke, Jean, Emma, Quentin, etc. as if they all have some sort of hive mind.

Then we've got Psylocke teaching languages and Quentin making psychic weapons and no telepath has anything distinctive anymore, other than cosmetic stuff like these two (Betsy, Kwannon) make purple butterflies and these other two (Jean, Rachel) do a fiery bird power signature.

(And for that matter, I want more power signatures. Someone needs to make a green snake slithering out to taste the thoughts of their prey! Someone else needs to have a black cat shadow outline rear up and pounce at the target of their mental blasts!)
    Xavier doesnt't has global range without Cerebro

First thet came for the telepaths and then the Jedis.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Xavier doesnt't has global range without Cerebro
    It depends on the plot:

But I agree that it’s like with Magneto, when the author needs something, the character is mysteriously given a new feature… I suppose that not everyone knows Xavier is an expert in martial arts. It ends being impressive, all these abilities…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Amazing Member

I like how unknowable Charles Xavier is in the Hickman pages. & I like the fact that Hickman gave the various lines some ground to work with. It's fairly anti-decimation, without throwing a fit about it. I'd like to see a little more tension in relation to the council -- the sort of willful obliviousness around Sinister feels a tad unforced -- but then the weapon that is Iceman is contained to a boat, so. It'd be interesting to see if someone wants to write a conversation between malice and polaris.

I apologize for derailing this thread with my telepathy stance nonsense.

On topic, with the recent announcement about Duggan seemingly taking over a relaunched X-Men and Hickman doing something else (presumably that Moira book or maybe Uncanny) how will that impact what Hickman has done so far? For me, it's disappointing that Hickman's book has been so much setup and crossover - I understand that there are many who are picking up multiple books, but I have DC and Image comics in my pull also, so I started only with X-Men and New Mutants. Eventually I dropped New Mutants, but X-Men really began disappointing with its pacing and setup work on behalf on other books...

Suffice it to say, I'm not enthusiastic about the future of the main book.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I apologize for derailing this thread with my telepathy stance nonsense.

On topic, with the recent announcement about Duggan seemingly taking over a relaunched X-Men and Hickman doing something else (presumably that Moira book or maybe Uncanny) how will that impact what Hickman has done so far? For me, it's disappointing that Hickman's book has been so much setup and crossover - I understand that there are many who are picking up multiple books, but I have DC and Image comics in my pull also, so I started only with X-Men and New Mutants. Eventually I dropped New Mutants, but X-Men really began disappointing with its pacing and setup work on behalf on other books...

Suffice it to say, I'm not enthusiastic about the future of the main book.
    I’m thinking now is when Hickman will give us the pay off to all the world building that he’s been doing and Duggan will either be complimentary or maybe X-Men+the MU at large. The timing seems about right based on his usual methods.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I’m thinking now is when Hickman will give us the pay off to all the world building that he’s been doing and Duggan will either be complimentary or maybe X-Men+the MU at large. The timing seems about right based on his usual methods.
    I'd love to be excited for the X-Books again, HoX/PoX was a great opening act.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

If anything Hickman coming off the main book makes the book feel like its going to be irrelevant. I don't see how standard superhero stuff works under Krakoa, though I will gladly be proven wrong. So far this entire thing has been 80% buildup, and the only plots with payoff have been super disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    If anything Hickman coming off the main book makes the book feel like its going to be irrelevant. I don't see how standard superhero stuff works under Krakoa, though I will gladly be proven wrong. So far this entire thing has been 80% buildup, and the only plots with payoff have been super disappointing.
    Really? i love how he is not only redefining the X-men but him, Jordan D. White and their team are redefining how continuity can work in modern comics with Jordan being producer, hickman being directior/writer and then his writers on the books. Hopefully the rest of marvel takes note after this hero's reborn and the change of distributor.

In my mind every last book published hickman has touched in a way. Everyone has, that's powerful, but it's his endgame. It must be exciting.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Yeah, I agree with you here, that's why I'm skeptical. What I want for the X-Men team is that they start asking of Krakoa and Professor X:

Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you here, that's why I'm skeptical. What I want for the X-Men team is that they start asking of Krakoa and Professor X:

I'm still waiting for that from the Avengers to be honest.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

X-men will be like Hickman's avengers: mostly filler stuff

I think Hickman book will be like New avengers where the meat of the story really is

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Really? i love how he is not only redefining the X-men but him, Jordan D. White and their team are redefining how continuity can work in modern comics with Jordan being producer, hickman being directior/writer and then his writers on the books. Hopefully the rest of marvel takes note after this hero's reborn and the change of distributor.

In my mind every last book published hickman has touched in a way. Everyone has, that's powerful, but it's his endgame. It must be exciting.
    I hope not, Marvel universe is in better shape thn x-men books

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm still waiting for that from the Avengers to be honest.
    Yeah, we'll be waiting on that one for a while too.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post

I hope not, Marvel universe is in better shape thn x-men books
    lol idk about that. While this era is pretty overrated after the initial HoxPox story, the last numbers we had access to seemed to show the X-books doing better than anything else on the whole.

As much as a loathe Jason Aaron's Avengers run, its been pretty harmless. It mucks with continuity and there not a lot of depth, but but there hasn't been anybody committing genocide casually. In the solo titles Iron Man is being forced to reckon with his own privilege, and Captain America is taking down a fascist cabal while dissecting why people fall into white supremacy. Its pretty great imo.