Page 7 of 95 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    It's the most exciting and forward thinking both in terms of story and behind the scenes workings that the X-Men have ever been in their entire history as a franchise
    Lets say for arguments sake that you are correct. What is it worth? It can be what you said and also be bad. Hickman is a writer with obvious strengths and weaknesses. So far they are both on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Lets say for arguments sake that you are correct. What is it worth? It can be what you said and also be bad. Hickman is a writer with obvious strengths and weaknesses. So far they are both on display.
    Every writer has strenghts and weakness. Hickman has recognized the fact he can't handle everything by expanding the Krakoan status quo and inviting different creatives to collaborate on it, to the point they've stated as such in the X-Men Monday interview that it's all part of a very constructive group effort. The result is in the passion that comes through in how every storyline, from the big climax in X of Swords: Destruction to the small character moments from Z-listers in Hellions, is developed with care from writers who love these characters, and Hickman has been having a very important job in coordinating it all, no matter if people personally like his writing compared to the other writers in the line or not

The only thing that is holding me to the X-Men is Hellions.

From a horror perspective, I can see how the run is fresh and exciting. Not everyday that you see a slow-burn of treasured heroes be turned into full-on villains and you find yourself be tempted to route for AIs and general humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by SiycoBatSquirrel View Post
    The only thing that is holding me to the X-Men is Hellions.

From a horror perspective, I can see how the run is fresh and exciting. Not everyday that you see a slow-burn of treasured heroes be turned into full-on villains and you find yourself be tempted to route for AIs and general humanity.
    Oh you went there. I dont think they are straight up villains, but more like anti-heroes with many really very close to become villains

I love the Hickman era. The only one that I considered weak was Excalibur but lately it's been getting better. I look forward to Way of X, Children of the Atom and X-Corp.

All-New Member

Hickman is one of those writers that gets an insane amount of hype for having big cognitive ideas. He often gets compared to Morrison, and Ellis, and I understand some of that comparison, but while Morrison’s big crazy ideas often come with lots of humor, and eccentric and abstract weirdness that can at times be very charming, I don’t feel like Hickman has really been able to capture that. For each big Hickman run lauded by Marvel, I have gone in with the best intentions, but grown tired of having to think so much to read about my favorite characters, and longing for some of the more simplistic fun that a writer like Mark Waid, or Dan Slott could bring...so I suppose, while I respect his ideas, and he’s obviously a smart guy, he’s just not exactly my thing.

Personally, I think it's boring. Cool concept with Krakoa, but having the mutants segregated and not fully participating in broader world events limits the impact, IMO. And I'm fully in favor of them exploring more mutant oriented themes, culture, etc. the way that this story arc has -- but ultimately, I'd prefer to see the X-Books more fully integrated in the broader Marvel Universe than what it's devolved into.

I think Hickman has fallen victim to the macro plot being interesting / engaging, but the micro plots across multiple titles being -- in the main -- lackluster.

All that said, I do really enjoy the multi-media presentation of content. Very clever ways to engage backstory, plot elements that aren't explicitly covered, and engaging the readers in different ways that traditional comic media.

The best the x-men have been in a decade or so, I'm loving it.
    Can't wait for expansion and progression.

I think it's amazing, it's the I've looked forward to the X franchise in a long time. I'm still to this keeping up with most of the titles.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

With any era there ups and downs. I think some titles aren’t working and that their writers don’t know what to do. Excalibur is one that needs to be retooled with someone that can pull off the ideas that they wanted to do. Howard cannot do it. Marauders is another that I think needs to be retooled a bit. I wish we were getting to see Wells and Ewing writing another book each. Maybe Wells on Marauders and Ewing on Excalibur?

Hickman, Wells and Ewing should be spearheading it together as I think they are the best at what they are doing.

Overall I like this era. It’s not all doom and gloom, but it’s not all roses either.

I actually care to read, since House of M.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Every writer has strenghts and weakness. Hickman has recognized the fact he can't handle everything by expanding the Krakoan status quo and inviting different creatives to collaborate on it, to the point they've stated as such in the X-Men Monday interview that it's all part of a very constructive group effort. The result is in the passion that comes through in how every storyline, from the big climax in X of Swords: Destruction to the small character moments from Z-listers in Hellions, is developed with care from writers who love these characters, and Hickman has been having a very important job in coordinating it all, no matter if people personally like his writing compared to the other writers in the line or not
    Yeah that's not the point I was making. Or if you are trying to state that several writers working on different titles and issues somehow make up for the general problems that the franchise have now. Problems that are a direct consequence from Hickman. Both in his capacity as showrunner and his philospophy behind his craft. Then just look at how many of those writers are struggeling with the same problems that Hickman have. E.G. characters and pacing.

My point was more about the duality and value of certain elements in storytelling. How Hickmans "excitment and forward thinking" can both be praised and seem irrelevant. Based on both opinions from the reader and a certain value hierarchy in stories. How much is anything worth if other parts don't deliver. An attempt to trying to see how some readers can be a flame by this era and others not. While not trying to reduce it into haters and stans.

Sometimes it comes off like people are losing their mind not having the escapism of watching a group of fucitiknal characters getting blown up and living on the run. I say that because some of the main posters have been registered through all that other stuff with nary a word but now that they are finally getting somewhere all of a sudden those posts are rising.

And that comes off as more diversity, less mutants as victims = worse thing ever to happen to xmen
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Initially when Hickman came on board with House of X + Powers of X I was very intrigued by what he was bringing to the table like Claremont, Morrison, Whedon. Initially I found HoX more interesting than PoX. I also thought this was going to be a more concentrated & focused stories between a few books and slowly build on that, but I feel like there has been a repeat of the past of just throwing out various books just to make a quick buck managed by various writers instead of it being totally managed by Hickman himself. Now it just seems like a total mess with a few books less interesting than the next. The concept of Krakoa and having its heroÂ’s and villainÂ’s (some worse than others) living in harmony in some garden of eden a concept that has quickly fizzled out. Some plots have been more interesting than others, but not enough to make me purchase any books. One thing I canÂ’t stand is a lot of times a lot of popular past stories keep getting recycled over and over, deaths mean nothing and donÂ’t have any meaning anymore, and the constant release of books that have no real identity or purpose has caused me to step away. Hopefully things and stories will improve by Hickman taking full control and reeling the X-line back down to 5 core books or so
    I also don't get people need to streamline the books. It's like if you don't want to buy them all then don't buy them. Those of us who want to we do and it allows us to read more character than just the few whedon picked or Morrison (both main teams pretty much only white people as the main human like mutants for the most of it. Marvel loses money producing books that people don't buy not readers.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This is the best X-Men I've read in at least a decade. Only books, I don't follow are X-Force, Wolverine and Excal. Everything else I either love and for the most part enjoy. Ups, doens and all.

Honestly without this Krakoan status quo the X-Men would still be a dull as wet toast.

I welcome whatever Hickman's world has to offer and, I can, but at the same time can't wait till we get into the climax of Moira's last life to see how he wraps it all up.
    Last edited by CoCoBandz; 03-30-2021 at 05:55 AM.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!