Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-FACTOR [09]: Spoilers and Review

So it starts off with the preview pages.

The team is in Siryn's (is that how you spell it) mind. They are figuring out what is going on w her since the Morrigan has been subdued.

Through a weird plan that Rachel comes up with and something Daken does they figure out that the key to defeating the Morrigan is Shatterstar.

Which brings them to an adventure of saving mutants and others from the Mojoverse.

They come up with a very elaborate plan that I didn't really understand. Honestly this issue was all over the place.

It should have been like 2 issues but I appreciate what LW was trying to do.

Baldeon is not my favorite artist but he does give this run a unique flair.

So the two main things to discuss in this issue IMO is saving Shatterstar from the Mojoverse and dealing with the Morrigan.

Since X-Factor themselves can't go back to Mojoverse they get a big rag tag team of peers to help them make a distraction and force Mojo to sign a deal where he is now partnered with Krakoa.

The team that helps is Academy X kids DJ/Wind Dancer/Surge. We also briefly see Dust/Anole/Nature Girl/Rain Boy/Some Random.

Dazzler and Lila Cheney distract everyone with what seems like an epic concert. While Dani/Xian/Magik/Wolfsbane handle some things.

Magik handles the clone mother. And also forces Mojo to stop trying to clone mutants.

By the end of the song Dazzler says "you're all free".

Sofia becomes regent (baby sitter) of Mojoworld. Seems like a big responsibility.

Shatterstar thanks Dazzler for the save. It's an awkward situation. He wanted to say more.

Northstar welcomes Shatterstar to Krakoa. (I feel like he was there briefly already)

To be continued. I'll be right back.

Ok I dont want to write it all out.

Shatterstar defeats the Morrigan. Both him and Siryn get struck by the Morrigan and Julio feels it. Rictor senses Shatterstar.

I know many don't like this series. But I have a lot of appreciation for what Leah was doing.

I just wish she hit her groove faster.

I love how much she incorporated the Academy kids.

Thats why I have a slight bias towards this series.

This is a BUMMER.

F37FF074-F53E-4E56-B809-2F481722DF9A.jpg
    Last edited by CGAR; 05-12-2021 at 10:39 AM.

This was my second fave book of the week.

1)COTA 3
    2)X-factor 9
    3) Guardians of the Galaxy 14

Just the amount of characters on display here, the concert, i was as in awe as the on lookers. The thread of fate seemingly connecting Rictor and Shatterstar. Leah just did that. I am seriously amazed how she can manage so many characters in so few pages and not miss a beat.

My theory is that Rictor and Shatter star end up somehow being sort of like Thanos/Death with shatterstar taking on Morgan's mantle of Death but in a mutant society that may look different. I think it will play out in excalibur and tie to magic. I don't know why it just felt very like we are replacing the "god" like characters for mutants now with mutants.
    Last edited by jwatson; 05-12-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Loved this one. The gathering of all heroes to beat the big bad is one of my favorite tropes, and I love the team they assembled. And congrats to Sofia on her promotion!

Yeah I think Shatterstar was an extra on X-Force #2 when Mags was having his eulogy for Charles. Maybe he got kidnapped by Mojo after that?

The re-drawing of the Ricstar kiss ������ that was a definitely a Moment when it first came out.

Not a fan of this series' art, but I'm so sad X-Factor is cancelled, with it having a significant amount of LGBTQ characters, giving focus on other mutants and adding to the overall Hickman-era lore. Do we know if X-Factor is relaunching after The Trial?

So much for resolving this plot before the Gala. Still dragging this Morrigan stuff out and still no reveals to the Resurrection Protocols

Quote Originally Posted by sensormellow View Post
    Loved this one. The gathering of all heroes to beat the big bad is one of my favorite tropes, and I love the team they assembled. And congrats to Sofia on her promotion!

Yeah I think Shatterstar was an extra on X-Force #2 when Mags was having his eulogy for Charles. Maybe he got kidnapped by Mojo after that?

The re-drawing of the Ricstar kiss ������ that was a definitely a Moment when it first came out.

Not a fan of this series' art, but I'm so sad X-Factor is cancelled, with it having a significant amount of LGBTQ characters, giving focus on other mutants and adding to the overall Hickman-era lore. Do we know if X-Factor is relaunching after The Trial?
    It doesn't seem traditionally "cancelled" to me. It seems like other books it has reached the end of what it was an Leah imo did a good job of setting the team up. With lorna leaving i'm expecting a restructuring of the team and also the fact that the members on this team's powers are being set up to come into some sort of conflict with the council. I am looking forward to seeing what that looks like.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm very conflicted on this issue, but overall it didn't really do it for me.

Way too much was going on, and it often felt random and all over the place. Neither the Morrigan plot, nor the Mojo stuff felt like it ended strongly. I'm sure that's a byproduct of the book's cancellation, so I don't want to be too harsh, but the plots didn't gel as well as I think Leah wanted them to.

There was some great ideas in here, and some great references though.

Mighty Member

This book was too all over the place. I’ve been enjoying the series as a whole, but this just didn’t do it for me. Why Shatterstar? Maybe I missed something with the OG Morrigan story and that’s why it had to be him? I’m glad he’s back and I’m glad that hopefully he and Rictor will be reunited (Excalibur maybe?). I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a “they’re tied together by magic” type of thing.

I enjoyed what we saw in the preview and I like Northstar asking Dani about secrets and the QC. Everything else was definitely a rush to get where they needed to be. Unfortunate this book was rushed

Things that caught my attention the most: Ricstar and the brunch planning with JP, Kyle, Dani and Karma

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    This book was too all over the place. I’ve been enjoying the series as a whole, but this just didn’t do it for me. Why Shatterstar? Maybe I missed something with the OG Morrigan story and that’s why it had to be him? I’m glad he’s back and I’m glad that hopefully he and Rictor will be reunited (Excalibur maybe?). I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a “they’re tied together by magic” type of thing.

I enjoyed what we saw in the preview and I like Northstar asking Dani about secrets and the QC. Everything else was definitely a rush to get where they needed to be. Unfortunate this book was rushed
    I got the vibe that they knew they were cancelled by the time this issue was in the works so it served to wrap up the lingering Shatterstar plot line and Morrigan plot line at the same time.

So sad it is cancelled. Moving and entertaining, and the most LGBTQ-friendly of all the X-books. I will miss it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I got the vibe that they knew they were cancelled by the time this issue was in the works so it served to wrap up the lingering Shatterstar plot line and Morrigan plot line at the same time.
    Yeah this definitely felt like a rushed ending to tie up two major plotlines due to cancellation. The sales were terrible and it doesn't make sense for the book to be coming "to a natural end" like they are saying with Cable. I have enjoyed the book and Leah has on the whole wrote everyone really well, except maybe Daken who was too soft. I wonder if the Trial of Magneto was meant to be a normal arc for the book but they've spun it into a mini instead to try and get extra sales?

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    Yeah this definitely felt like a rushed ending to tie up two major plotlines due to cancellation. The sales were terrible and it doesn't make sense for the book to be coming "to a natural end" like they are saying with Cable. I have enjoyed the book and Leah has on the whole wrote everyone really well, except maybe Daken who was too soft. I wonder if the Trial of Magneto was meant to be a normal arc for the book but they've spun it into a mini instead to try and get extra sales?
    That was my initial guess but the way Leah is talking on Twitter it does seem like her initial plans are not moving forward.

One thing I really liked about this book was how it shared DNA with the previous incarnations of X-Factor despite being a really different concept. It especially addressed two concepts from the last two trades of PAD's X-Factor well (Siryn/Morrigan and Shatterstar/Longshot/Dazzler).

Yes, I got the feeling the storylines had to be condensed into a twofer, which is probably why the haunted Boneyard got dealt with so quickly too. Still, I enjoyed the issue a lot. Appreciated Dazzler and Warpath getting nods and, as always, got a kick out of the team banter. Still love the expressiveness of Baldeon's art. And the Academy X kids getting to do anything besides show up and die is still a breath of fresh air. I'll miss this book.

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    Cable had worse sales than X-factor, the difference is that Cable is etremely light on plot, so it is esy to solve.

comics get cancelled because of bad sales, rarely because it "ended"