Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default What do you think of Hickmans X-Men so far, still Interested or Not ??

Initially when Hickman came on board with House of X + Powers of X I was very intrigued by what he was bringing to the table like Claremont, Morrison, Whedon. Initially I found HoX more interesting than PoX. I also thought this was going to be a more concentrated & focused stories between a few books and slowly build on that, but I feel like there has been a repeat of the past of just throwing out various books just to make a quick buck managed by various writers instead of it being totally managed by Hickman himself. Now it just seems like a total mess with a few books less interesting than the next. The concept of Krakoa and having its heroÂ’s and villainÂ’s (some worse than others) living in harmony in some garden of eden a concept that has quickly fizzled out. Some plots have been more interesting than others, but not enough to make me purchase any books. One thing I canÂ’t stand is a lot of times a lot of popular past stories keep getting recycled over and over, deaths mean nothing and donÂ’t have any meaning anymore, and the constant release of books that have no real identity or purpose has caused me to step away. Hopefully things and stories will improve by Hickman taking full control and reeling the X-line back down to 5 core books or so

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It's kind of a slog, mainly because Hickmans stuff works best in trades. That's the problem with big multi year big picture **** is that it mostly looks good in hindsight when you see it all but not during the actual waiting years for the story part.

I do think the resurrection protocol means they can lazily have constant death since every character can be a bullet sponge and come back the next day, but I don't mind it since I think it won't last forever.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 03-27-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Loved Dawn of X up until X of Swords, which was bloated and too long IMO. It was decent, don't get me wrong, and a great arc for Apocalypse IMO. But it lost some steam during and after that event, and so far Reign of X has been pretty... meh. I don’t have high expectations for the Hellfire Gala, though I’m sure it will be fun and silly if nothing amazing. At this point the thing I’m most interested in just got delayed, that being the wrap up the Kid Cable arc in issues #11 and 12 of that book. But Marvel could easily turn me around with some awesome announcement involving the adult version of Cable returning in July.

So where I sit is basically “still enjoying it, but could be better” honestly.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

X of Swords could have been done in 10 issues with very little story changes

It’s a drag to be honest. Ready for this cult vibe to be over with, for the characters to matter more than the plot and the xmen to feel like themselves again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    It’s a drag to be honest. Ready for this cult vibe to be over with, for the characters to matter more than the plot and the xmen to feel like themselves again.
    ^^^that saved me a bit of typing. Ty.

It has been dragging, specially that Hickman is writing decompressed and letting other writers do their events. It's not that Hickman stuff read better in trade, he is not puting effort.

Damn, I wish I had seen this post before I wrote my way too long reply. You summed it up perfectly. :-D

This is how I feel as well. I haven't really been enjoying this direction the X-verse has been going in and I'm ready for it to be over.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm still very much interested and enjoying it with regards to the books I'm buying. The premise still feels extensive and unpredictable and I'm looking forward to seeing how Reign of X plays out.

My main detraction and disappointment would be the use of the resurrection protocols to make death even more irrelevant and meaningless than it was previously in the MU. (From initial interviews, I honestly thought they meant to do the opposite of what they've done so far)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I think I hate it; the entire situation involves to much coolaid drinking, so much of this should have been a deal breakers for so many.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Disappointed I thought hickman would do more of the writing.

Yep. Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I think I hate it; the entire situation involves to much coolaid drinking, so much of this should have been a deal breakers for so many.
    I think I hate it too.

I was really ready to give it a chance, but these characters... they’re just following along and there was no real build up to this mass acceptance of Krakoa. Especially with characters like Sinister running around and everyone just accepts it. My hope is some other (but good) writer comes along and fixes this ooc mess. I’d even be willing to accept Krakoa more if there wasn’t so much cult like behavior with some X-Men actually NOT being on/for Krakoa.

It’s not the worst, but I still hate it.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post

I think I hate it too.

I was really ready to give it a chance, but these characters... they’re just following along and there was no real build up to this mass acceptance of Krakoa. Especially with characters like Sinister running around and everyone just accepts it. My hope is some other (but good) writer comes along and fixes this ooc mess. I’d even be willing to accept Krakoa more if there wasn’t so much cult like behavior with some X-Men actually NOT being on/for Krakoa.

Even if there is some twist or reveal about subtle mindcontrol or influence the facts still stand. We have gotten this status quo for close to 2 years. In that sense Corona hasn’t been a friend to Hickman. So if the characters start behaving as themselves again does Hickman write that for 2 years? Or do we get some issues with characters finally acting and then it’s over? I don’t judge a run for how it influences the next run because that is entirely optional for Marvel. The same way Morrison can’t be blamed for His Magneto not being Magneto.

For me it’s Maslows hierchary of needs. Characters being written good is one of the first steps. By fumbling that I’m not being able to enjoy whatever else is going on.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Yep. Totally agree.

I think I hate it too.

I would have had less time accepting it because he is a total bore.