Page 26 of 95 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

A lot of fanfics I read that have some sort of compromise for mutant/human relations make a hard exception for telepaths. Either widespread blocking (everyone has Magneto helmets, that sort of thing) or forced mutant cure type of thing. Even among the deadlier powers its just too much to just ignore. Having people who can poke through your head, and potentially the heads of the entire world, reading your memories, implanting new ones and even just outright controlling you is just too much. And even in story the best most moral telepaths we've seen have abused their powers at some point or another.

I don't know if that dichotomy you posted is quite fair. You can dislike the previous runs and still dislike what Hickman is doing. To me it feels like he's actually doubling down on the worst aspects of those runs, and making the problems with the X books worse than they were.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    A lot of fanfics I read that have some sort of compromise for mutant/human relations make a hard exception for telepaths. Either widespread blocking (everyone has Magneto helmets, that sort of thing) or forced mutant cure type of thing. Even among the deadlier powers its just too much to just ignore. Having people who can poke through your head, and potentially the heads of the entire world, reading your memories, implanting new ones and even just outright controlling you is just too much. And even in story the best most moral telepaths we've seen have abused their powers at some point or another.

I don't know if that dichotomy you posted is quite fair. You can dislike the previous runs and still dislike what Hickman is doing. To me it feels like he's actually doubling down on the worst aspects of those runs, and making the problems with the X books worse than they were.
    Recently saw a interview of Morrison tlalking about Hicaman's run and that it got some of elements from his run. I agree, it really brought back the different species, one of the worse aspects of Morrison run

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Let’s just state something.

There are at least two standard ways to look at this.

Are you happy with this era compared to the general quality of these last x years.

Are you happy with this era compared to what it could/should be.

When people are talking about how they love it and then bring up Rosenberg, Bendis or other generally considered lackluster eras then I think most of us have a lot we think are great.

That doesn’t mean that Marvel is using this moment as they should. There is a danger when both bringing out the big drum and then stating that you are using it. We hold it to a higher standard. If this fails then readers lose faith in Marvel. No longer is the option: “well what if they brought out the big guns “ left. We know how it looks when Marvel is trying now.

So yes Hickman is being measured to a higher standard. He should be. He has been given everything to succeed. That doesn’t mean that people don’t appreciate the good things. They are just focusing on other parts because, but not only, the potential is so much bigger.
    People really shouldn't compare Hickman to the runs of Bendis,Rosenberg. We all know they didn't had the freedom and the resources. That is like comparing Real Madrid to a small soccer club from USA
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-10-2021 at 04:41 PM.

when is all of this supposed to end? what's going on with the "bad things on krakoa" that no one seems to notice?

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post

Honestly this just makes me think they must be secret murderers or pedophiles or something if they have a problem with someone they don't know picking up a stray thought they will probably never even mention or know they did. Kind of weird to me. But then i'm a pretty empathic person in person and can read people like a book so i assume most know when they are around someone who is at least decent.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Ehhhhh. The only thing that prevents telepaths from being privacy invasive on a level that'd make the PATRIOT act blush is their word that they won't do it (or other barriers like a giant bucket on your head or also being a telepaths). Same with manipulating memories, mind control, etc. That's an awful lot of trust. Not wanting to be around people who can put their thoughts in your brain isn't exactly unreasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    when is all of this supposed to end? what's going on with the "bad things on krakoa" that no one seems to notice?
    I think way of X gonna adress religion, but I don't expect to solve anything big

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has that topic come up anywhere other than in Percy's stuff?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

One of the best comics out right now. Each comic spinning out of the Hickman era is like a piece of a puzzle to a new superhero universe. The main book is a fun episodic read, but you need to reread stuff in order to get the full picture.

BANNED

I'm such a curmudgeon. People on here are basically like "Hickman re-invented the X-Men", "X-Men hasn't been this good since ever", "the individual titles are like squares of a grand tapestry", and I'm just like:

"This is fine."

I'm glad y'all are amazed lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Recently saw a interview of Morrison tlalking about Hicaman's run and that it got some of elements from his run. I agree, it really brought back the different species, one of the worse aspects of Morrison run
    Definitely the mutant culture thing, but I thought that made sense. Unfortunately, integration, which is what I thought Morrison's run was/could've lead to, seems to be off the table for now.

People really shouldn't compare Hickman to the runs of Bendis,Rosenberg. We all know they didn't had the freedom and the resources. That is like comparing Real Madrid to a small soccer club from USA
    It really is an unfair comparison - however, this era isn't Hickman alone, the ancillary books can hurt the over all experience.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Honestly this just makes me think they must be secret murderers or pedophiles or something if they have a problem with someone they don't know picking up a stray thought they will probably never even mention or know they did. Kind of weird to me. But then i'm a pretty empathic person in person and can read people like a book so i assume most know when they are around someone who is at least decent.
    If others are uncomfortable with telepaths it must be because they're the worst monsters among humanity and not because it's just the single most potent and powerful invasion of privacy imaginable? And those same monsters should be more like you, so empathetic that you know just by looking if someone is good or bad?

Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Definitely the mutant culture thing, but I thought that made sense. Unfortunately, integration, which is what I thought Morrison's run was/could've lead to, seems to be off the table for now.

It really is an unfair comparison - however, this era isn't Hickman alone, the ancillary books can hurt the over all experience.
    I think y'all are forgetting how much sway Bendis had a Marvel. Comparing Hickman to Rosenberg isn't fair, but Bendis is just as big a name as Hickman, probably bigger in Marvel terms since he co-created Miles Morales. DC basically had a parade when they snagged Bendis.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

If others are uncomfortable with telepaths it must be because they're the worst monsters among humanity and not because it's just the single most potent and powerful invasion of privacy imaginable? And those same monsters should be more like you, so empathetic that you know just by looking if someone is good or bad?

I think they really done messed up by implying for years now that telepaths can read anything, change any memory, do anything, and there's nothing you can do about it. That's like saying that if one computer connects to another over a network it can automatically do anything it feels like, when in reality it is limited by the interface and security measures. Karma being able to completely backseat-drive another person's body was supposed to be a special case - Patrick Stewart's "It's telepathy, I ain't gotta explain ****" depiction of the ability in the films didn't exactly help.

I always prefer the depiction when people are at least able to snap out of it if they realise Emma is tampering with their head, so there has to be a subtlety of approach. Sort-of like the rule in Inception where to implant an idea the mark must believe they thought of it themself.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Murderers? Pedophiles? I suppose that you are none of them. Let’s imagine a mundane scenario…

You have a telepathic friend. She is so excited to show you her new dress. She is waiting for your compliments…
    You (searching for words): It’s not bad… The color is original. It suits you…
    Her reading you (before you say anything): This dress is awful. Where did you find it? It makes you fat. Besides it would be a good idea you lose some weight.

Telepathic powers impair social relationships. Like pgkingdom, I read also a lot of fanfics involving telepaths. Their conclusion: it’s not really a gift.
    Last edited by Zelena; 04-11-2021 at 04:44 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I'd that's your interpretation of what I said then sure. Cool.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/