Page 58 of 95 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Oh fucking please. So much of the mutant metaphor (like the ability to accidentally level buildings/spontaneously self destruct/have the powers of a god/ control people with your mind when you turn 13) doesn't apply to real life minorities. Conflating fan criticism with "They must hate actual minorities if they don't like Hickmans run!" is fucking stupid.
    That, and I don't recall many minorities that have stepped up and said "One day we will replace and or rule over you all because we are superior!" That tends to rub people the wrong way.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Certainly not founding a whole country on that idea either

Ultimate Member

Oh fucking please. So much of the mutant metaphor (like the ability to accidentally level buildings/spontaneously self destruct/have the powers of a god/ control people with your mind when you turn 13) doesn't apply to real life minorities. Conflating fan criticism with "They must hate actual minorities if they don't like Hickmans run!" is fucking stupid.
    Racism is cool when it's hating on one's own race in favor of a fictional minority, apparently.

Or hating on Wanda. 'Cause burning witches and wanting to lynch gypsies never gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Racism is cool when it's hating on one's own race in favor of a fictional minority, apparently.

Or hating on Wanda. 'Cause burning witches and wanting to lynch gypsies never gets old.
    I'm sorry, I don't want to misconstrue what you're saying here, can you clarify what you mean?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Magneto's the only redeeming x-character I've seen in the Hickman era. Everyone else is either full of their own fascist dogmatic, soft comic relief, or utter cardboard.

And justice for the Children of the Vault.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I didn’t say it was. The X-men has no room for talking about trespassing: they had this habit to feel above laws… and it is the case for any Marvel’s hero…

It usually doesn’t bother anybody.
    Cause they're saving lives...most humans tryna get in KraKoa ain't there to save anybody
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Krakoa can claim all mutants as their citizens but the world doesn't work that way.

For that matter, why can't Xavier just reach over the entire world, back up every mutant, and if/when they're killed by their native governments, bring them back on Krakoa?
    hHows it different than Isral and their citizenship laws?

1: basically every twelve seconds in the books is mutants talking about how they don't like humans.
    2: Um...yes? Xavier himself publicly stated that "the dream was a lie". Krakoa is about Xavier giving up the dream and convincing the rest of the mutants (off panel) to join him.
    1.Yeeeah you seem to be reading "between the lines" and not ghf actually text
    2.eh I don't think they needed much convincing lol The dream was flawed from the jump
    eh the powers aren't the parts that correlate with minorities. And few years I've been noticing some X-Fans taking an obtuse approach to their fandom they seemed to be intk having a behaved' minority group to root for that didn't really change/challenge their way of looking at life/social aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That, and I don't recall many minorities that have stepped up and said "One day we will replace and or rule over you all because we are superior!" That tends to rub people the wrong way.
    But if they had gone through what mutants have who could blame them? It's like when a my buddy gets annoyed at white jokes or something...like damn dude calm down
    GrindrStone(D)

hHows it different than Israel and their citizenship laws?

Not all jewish people of the world are automatically israelite, they are citizens of the country they are born

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I'm interested but bored at the same time.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on it. Some things have been pretty good. But, for the most part, I'm just in it for Marauders. That book has never stopped being fun.

Also not a huge fan of the attitudes that have started popping up every now and then with certain X-Men. Especially towards people who are supposed to be their friends. It's something that didn't really hit me until their first conflict with the Fantastic Four and I reeeeally don't like seeing it. The defensiveness, the superiority complexes. It's very...grating. Especially with Charles. **** Charles. I can't believe there was a time when I actually missed having him around. Now I'd give anything to see Scott kill him again.

A more recent example (and I hate that I have to use it because, in most cases, I am ride or die for Storm) was in Children of the Atom with all that unneeded hostility towards the Avengers when they were very clearly trying to help. Like...holy ****. Dial it back, ladies. It wasn't a threat. It was a warning. There was no ambiguity there whatsoever, they were on your side.

And then there's the cult-like vibes that I was feeling towards the beginning. But, thankfully, that seems to have calmed down some (at least from what I've seen). Still not fond of the whole Crucible thing though. Or the resurrection protocol as a whole. Death in comics was already cheap but now there's almost zero reason to worry about the wellbeing of any of these characters. And I absolutely hate all that anti-Wanda, pretender propaganda. But that's a rant for another day and it goes WAY further back than Krakoa.

Overall, I think Krakoa was a good idea and a really good way to shake up the status quo. But if this is the result of that shake up, I don't know if I'd want it to be a permanent change. It feels like the type of change that you can't just come back from. But I wouldn't particularly mind if they tried. If Krakoa really is gonna stick around for a LONG time, then I hope they clean it up some. Because so far, I'm liking the concept but I'm not in love with it.
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-25-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Cause they're saving lives...most humans tryna get in KraKoa ain't there to save anybody
    That disregards the fact that Krakoa wants to be on the world stage and that has requirements. Why don't they have a separate branch of X-Force to extract those mutants covertly?

hHows it different than Isral and their citizenship laws?
    Claiming others as symbolic citizens isn't the same as invading other countries in broad daylight to extract them.

1.Yeeeah you seem to be reading "between the lines" and not ghf actually text
    2.eh I don't think they needed much convincing lol The dream was flawed from the jump
    1. Don't know enough about this one.
    2. The dream isn't flawed, this idea that Krakoa is the only answer is flawed. Many characters need to have been convinced - it seems that now you are the one taking headcanon as truth.

eh the powers aren't the parts that correlate with minorities. And few years I've been noticing some X-Fans taking an obtuse approach to their fandom they seemed to be intk having a behaved' minority group to root for that didn't really change/challenge their way of looking at life/social aspects.
    There is a way for mutants to make themselves heard that doesn't involve being silent and pliant, but that also doesn't justify extremes. And your point here doesn't contend with the fact that mutants are not a 1:1 minority metaphor. For all the good that Claremont did for the X-Men, he might have tied their identity to the minority plight a little too strongly if what I've suggested seems impossible or nonsensical.

But if they had gone through what mutants have who could blame them? It's like when a my buddy gets annoyed at white jokes or something...like damn dude calm down
    No amount of oppression one way justifies oppression the other way.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Fictional racism is serious business especially when we can extrapolate our own world views on these things and just twist the stories to fit our own personal narrative. Its great stuff actually. Its like if the woke twitter mob and fox news came together to have a frankenstein baby and called it a mutant and scarlet witch depowered the little fellow. Yeah, let’s keep doing this because society is definitely becoming a better place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    That's not free, that's a transaction or a trade.
    Can you clarify what you mean? Let's use America as the example country just to keep it simple, what exactly are you suggesting America is trading for these drugs? They certainly aren't paying for them.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's also Krakoa the entity.
    They are mutant and sentient and their position is highly regarded, by the QC...after all, they are the very land upon which other mutants live and breathe and exist. So yes...Krakoa does have some say. Though I think most of the time they defer to the QC if the decisions made don't directly and adversely affect their continued existence.
    I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, that or I could be incorrect in what I'm trying to say. I was saying that I don't think Krakoa the entity has expressed any desire for humans to no be on it's lands, I know that Xavier made the declaration in HoX and the QC confirmed it but I don't recall Doug ever letting us know that Krakoa wants humans to stay away.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    The defensiveness, the superiority complexes. It's very...grating. Especially with Charles. **** Charles. I can't believe there was a time when I actually missed having him around. Now I'd give anything to see Scott kill him again.
    It’s Old Xavier I miss… What’s in a name? I hate this idea that you have the same character when you have more or less the same appareance, the same powers and then you call it the same name… But where is the same personality?

For me, these X-men with the Hickman sauce are the real Pretenders… They are pretending to be characters I knew…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, that or I could be incorrect in what I'm trying to say. I was saying that I don't think Krakoa the entity has expressed any desire for humans to no be on it's lands, I know that Xavier made the declaration in HoX and the QC confirmed it but I don't recall Doug ever letting us know that Krakoa wants humans to stay away.
    Hmmm I think you’re correct but at the same time Krakoa definitely needs a majority mutant population right? If there were more humans and less mutants wouldn’t the energy sapping take a bigger toll on the mutants? In that case sorta makes sense to have tight borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It’s Old Xavier I miss… What’s in a name? I hate this idea that you have the same character when you have more or less the same appareance, the same powers and then you call it the same name… But where is the same personality?

For me, these X-men with the Hickman sauce are the real Pretenders… They are pretending to be characters I knew…
    Xavier has good reason to change his personality. You might not like it or agree with it but it makes perfect sense and it works. It also adds a layer of humanity to him as he is not this perfect christ like figure. Which, to be fair, he never really was. In fact, there have been a score of things he has done in the past that make him a crappy figure head. He had a dream that was idealistic but really it was those around him that aspired to that dream that should get the credit as he would abandon that dream whenever the opportunity presented itself. Which it all boiled down to who was writing at the time. Hickman, at least, gives him an aura of mystery and intrigue which he has been sorely lacking.