Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

I'm along for the ride but only because I'm interested in the endgame. I feel like Hickman isn't constructing his narrative with characters as its foundation but rather forcing the characters to fit into his narrative even though it may end up great at the end. It's like a painting which looks amazing from a distance but when I get close and look at certain parts of the painting in isolation from the rest of it it looks sloppy. On the other hand I'm loving Ewing's SWORD.

I think there may be too many moving parts for some people to appreciate it.

Not really, no.

Lost interest little by little over time, and am no longer following along regularly.

Will probably check in again when the end is coming. Or shortly afterwards.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    I think there may be too many moving parts for some people to appreciate it.
    Definitely a lot of parts, which I'm totally fine with. Been reading X-Men since 1986 after all.

I perceived it more as the complete *lack* of movement to those parts that had me drop 90% of the books (as I said - I was in for the lot, and now am down to two).

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    Personally, I can't stand the Morrison run but I am curious why you feel his run had more of an impact?
    Firstly, it sold better. Secondly it introduced the big school concept, Emma as X-Man, Cerebra, Fantomex and Weapon Plus, the World, the Genosha genocide, the Cuckoos, Quire, Dust, X-Corporation, Cassandra Nova, and many other things that became integral to the franchise for 2 decades and counting. Even Hickman is using a lot of these things.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Firstly, it sold better. Secondly it introduced the big school concept, Emma as X-Man, Cerebra, Fantomex and Weapon Plus, the World, the Genosha genocide, the Cuckoos, Quire, Dust, X-Corporation, Cassandra Nova, and many other things that became integral to the franchise for 2 decades and counting. Even Hickman is using a lot of these things.
    I thought the first X-Men movie introduced the big school concept then it got implemented in the comics. I hated the idea in the movies and I hate it in the comics. I don't much care for the Krakoa era atm, but I prefer it over the whole Morrison stuff which I feel was the start of the decline of Storm within the X-books and the rise of the whole Cyclops/Emma ruling over the mutants era.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Why blame Morrison era for Storm's decline when everyone knows it was the wedding and Civil War.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why blame Morrison era for Storm's decline when everyone knows it was the wedding and Civil War.
    Have to agree. Plus, Storm was on X-Treme X-Men under Claremont during that era. Morrison had nothing to do with Storm.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Is Liefeld in that bracket too? He created a lot of characters that became integral to the franchise and broke sales records at the time.
    I will credit Lobdell with bringing Emma into the X family in Generation X. This is where the big school concept came in and the school became "Xavier institute for higher learning"
    Hickman is using a lot of different characters that where introduced by different writers. I'm certainly not going to credit Bendis for how Golden Balls is being used?
    The Hixmen era may be slow but in my honest opinion Nothing Morrison wrote even comes close to the scale and impact of the mutants never win era.
    I must admit, I do smile every time Quire is killed and I do have Morrison to thank for that
    Last edited by Houseofhick; 04-01-2021 at 12:03 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Is Liefeld in that bracket too? He created a lot of characters that became integral to the franchise and broke sales records at the time.
    I will credit Lobdell with bringing Emma into the X family in Generation X. This is where the big school concept came in and the school became "Xavier institute for higher learning"
    Hickman is using a lot of different characters that where introduced by different writers. I'm certainly not going to credit Bendis for how Golden Balls is being used?
    The Hixmen era may be slow but in my honest opinion Nothing Morrison wrote even comes close to the scale and impact of the mutants never win era.
    I must admit, I do smile every time Quire is killed and I do have Morrison to thank for that
    If we're taking just financial gain into account then Lobdell would be at least right behind Claremont considering how popular the brand was in the 90s but I guess we're taking reputation too.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If we're taking just financial gain into account then Lobdell would be at least right behind Claremont considering how popular the brand was in the 90s but I guess we're taking reputation too.
    I don't think sales should come into it and that is why I made the point regarding Liefeld.
    Are you a Lobdell fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I thought the first X-Men movie introduced the big school concept then it got implemented in the comics. I hated the idea in the movies and I hate it in the comics. I don't much care for the Krakoa era atm, but I prefer it over the whole Morrison stuff which I feel was the start of the decline of Storm within the X-books and the rise of the whole Cyclops/Emma ruling over the mutants era.
    X-Treme Storm was the last great Storm. I loved that Era for her. I would say the movies and the BP marriage killed her relevance to X-Men moreso than anything else. I loved Claremont's classic feel in counterbalance with Morrison's novelty. I have even heard rumors Morrison intended to have Scott cheat on Jean with Ororo, but Claremont called 'dibs', so Morrison used Emma instead. Would that have made Storm more central in the [modern]franchise? Perhaps, but Hudlin would have come in to steal her away for BP in 2006 after Morrison was long gone anyways. It is debatable, though. Had Morrison not introduced Emma to the main team, would Whedon, etc have used her too? Probably not. In either case, it shows how influential Morrison's 40 issues were; setting the tone for decades of content in his wake. Only time will tell if Hickman's run will ripple out as much, but he's already written more issues, including several wonky/flat stories, so his average is already skewing less favorably.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 04-01-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Morrison is very YMMV. The art was often atrocious and it introduced one of the worst plotlines in X-comics; that human genes are preprogrammed to go extinct and mutants will take over in the very immediate future. How Emma and Quire have been handled are big base breakers too. Either Emma is an epic queen and leader with impeccable style, or she's every white privilege, white savior trope rolled into one who never faces consequences for her actions. Quire is either a hilarious little **** who everyone loves to see suffer, or a massive, insufferable karma houdini who writers just won't stop shoving in everything.

in Generation X. This is where the big school concept came in and the school became "Xavier institute for higher learning"
    Gen X was in the same tradition as the O5/New Mutants, as in a small handful of students learning in a mansion, operating as a team/family. The 'big school' concept with the X-Men acting as teachers for a huge student body originated with nasty Singer's film, but it was Morrison who brought it to the page(and it only really worked with him, I didn't like the latter attempts).

I think most of you didn't really read Generation X, though. They were quite distinct from the X-Men at the time, based in Emma's Massachusetts Academy. She never interacted with the main team back then, outside of an Annual pool party splash page or some such nonsense. Emma wasn't even fully trusted by Banshee for most of the run, and the series ended with the kids afraid of Emma, who fled the country under duress after killing her sister and the police officer investigating. It was only Morrison's actions that actually brought her into the X-Men.

I do want to say thank you hickman for x-men #19. I'm Everertt. A black kid who grew up in a suburb of the tristate that had to be and because of what some would call awareness was too aware or advanced than he should have had to been for the time. For a kid who went to alternate universe every week with his friends since the age of 9 and fell in love with the x-men, who first time drawing was the issue where storm was stealing candra necklace and my saturday after school teacher who was my 5th grade art teacher an wasn't getting paid for the extra time told us to pick a comic and not retrace it but instead redraw it feeling how we think the writer wants to see it. This is the most pleased i've been as an x-fan in a long time. I'm actually I*gasp* starting to have expectations again. So though he and his team may never see it for that alone it was really worth it. Even if for spurts at a time i got to feel like the kid and guy i DESERVE to feel like.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/