Page 12 of 95 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

I loved Synch back in the day , and have missed him all these decades since. Hickman wrote the heck out of #19, his strongest in some time, but it wasn't the homecoming for Ev that I wanted. Barely felt like Everett at all.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I loved Synch back in the day , and have missed him all these decades since. Hickman wrote the heck out of #19, his strongest in some time, but it wasn't the homecoming for Ev that I wanted. Barely felt like Everett at all.
    See, i was 9 in November 1994, i didn't know better. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Morrison is very YMMV. The art was often atrocious and it introduced one of the worst plotlines in X-comics; that human genes are preprogrammed to go extinct and mutants will take over in the very immediate future. How Emma and Quire have been handled are big base breakers too. Either Emma is an epic queen and leader with impeccable style, or she's every white privilege, white savior trope rolled into one who never faces consequences for her actions. Quire is either a hilarious little shit who everyone loves to see suffer, or a massive, insufferable karma houdini who writers just won't stop shoving in everything.
    For some reason the artists had too little time to draw. Not sure if Morrison was late or whatever was going on

the dichotomy on the versions of these charcters makes really hard to like them.

Gen X was in the same tradition as the O5/New Mutants, as in a small handful of students learning in a mansion, operating as a team/family. The 'big school' concept with the X-Men acting as teachers for a huge student body originated with nasty Singer's film, but it was Morrison who brought it to the page(and it only really worked with him, I didn't like the latter attempts).

I think most of you didn't really read Generation X, though. They were quite distinct from the X-Men at the time, based in Emma's Massachusetts Academy. She never interacted with the main team back then, outside of an Annual pool party splash page or some such nonsense. Emma wasn't even fully trusted by Banshee for most of the run, and the series ended with the kids afraid of Emma, who fled the country under duress after killing her sister and the police officer investigating. It was only Morrison's actions that actually brought her into the X-Men.
    The school concep wasnt a great idea. writers kept introucing lots of new kids that people barely cared

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    See, i was 9 in November 1994, i didn't know better. lol
    I was 10!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Morrison is very YMMV. The art was often atrocious and it introduced one of the worst plotlines in X-comics; that human genes are preprogrammed to go extinct and mutants will take over in the very immediate future.
    I feel the X-men comic line went into a thematic downward spiral because of what Morrison created on a macro level with things like that, which just chained one depressing world state after the other for the next 20 years. Not that there weren't some good to great comics in it, but the overall direction, especialy after House of M, feels like it was just sour.

While Decimination was not directly the result of Morrison's run, but of the editor in chief wanting to take the mutants down a peg, i think Morrison's run enabled this decision to a major degree. Since after the destruction of Genosha, there was clearly no limit anymore to what horrible event could befall the mutants as a collective.

Likewise the whole "humanity will die out soon and we shall replace them" thing, seems to have caused some of the following writers to constantly have the X-men talk and sound more like various shades of Magneto, rather than the heros fighting for equality.
    The rhetoric of the X-men considering themself and mutants as a fully different and "superior" species from humans (not like an ethnicity, not like a sexual identity, not like a religious/cultural community, a species), rather than just a new all different part of it, was seemingly flashing up a lot more.

Of course bits like this occured to some degree before Morrison and it wasn't every writer after him who picked this up, but after House of M, it seems throwing the word "species" for mutants around, by the heros mind you, not the normal human villains who need an excuse to indiscriminately kill mutants ("They aren't humans! We can do what ever we want with them!") or the mutant villains who need an excuse to indiscriminatley kill normal humans ("We aren't humans! We can do what ever we want with them!"), the heros, seems to have become the standard for how things are seen in universe.

An in universe rhetoric and presentation, which the heros have now doubled down on with Hickman's new setup and it makes me concerned of what a depressing message this has become for the X-men comics, considering the mutants are often said to also be stand in for minorities.

Imagine LGBTQ+ organizations or equal rights movements going around talking of representing a different superior species from humanity and not a part of it anymore.

It's one of the reasons why Hickman's run lost me right at the start with Hox/Pox. Besides the Moira retcon giving me the impression that he doesn't care about characters themselves and their history, but just how he can remold them to suit his new "sci-fi epic" story (like a concrete block dropped on a carefull crafted city model to build a different model on top of it).
    It's that doubeling down on the seperation of mutants from the rest of humanity, the idea that the heros themself sound like what their villains used to and that the only outcome i can see for this whole scenario is for little to have actualy been gained and everything crumbling to dust again (because the mutants can never replace normal humans, controll the world or flee earth) that it feels like such a depressing dead end direction.
    Which stops the X-men comic line another few years from finaly ending the negative and depressing presentation of the mutant metaphor from the previous 20 years, which Morrison might have carelessly created.

Both Morrison and Hickman are great writers in their own right, i'm not denying that, but their impact on the X-men comics seem problematic in my opinion. Though at least with Hickman, it's likely he will end his run with everything going up in a spectecular fire, so at least some new good roots might grow from the ashes he leaves behind.
    He did say he would place the toys back in the box after all (and it's not like the movies will stick to the comics too closely). Let's hope the box isn't pitch black again.

Until then i take what i can enjoy from this direction, just like i did the past years.

It's somewhat funny looking bak at the negative reaction people had when Marvel tried to argue that mutants are not humans, in order save tax on action figures. But now the X-men themself are rejecting the idea of still being humans and people actualy cheer for it?

It was only Morrison's actions that actually brought her into the X-Men.
    And then she gained a secondary mutation that had nothing to do with her actual mutant power (and few if any other mutants ever have), which if i recall she only got because Morrison wanted someone with indestructable skin on the team, but Collosus was dead at the time from curing the legacy virus during Claremont's decimation. So he just gave Emma a diamond form.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-01-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Hickman only developed his big Secret War crossover after three years on Avengers titles so from the beggining I didnīt think we would see right away the end of the story proposed by HoX and PoX, the pandemic also has been a problem for a writer whoīs used to develop his story at his own pace but I personally would like to see a little more character work with the traditional X-men from Hickman, that would be my one issue with his run.

I liked some of his issues while I disliked others and after the Gala it seems he will apply a reset to his X-men title which I think itīs neccesary to get the attention of readers again after such a long time.

While I think he will still bring a nice and new story that will impact the X-men mythos I think, as he himself say, his biggest contribution to the line appart from Krakoa will be the way all the writers can work together to build a bigger story from the individual stories each one is telling on their own titles, I love how situations like the crucible can be addressed within the story by another writer as a genuine criticism on Krakoaīs culture and still is part of the bigger story everybody is helping to tell.

So I will adress my oppinion on Hickmanīs run alone once the Gala is done and we see how he does with the X-men team but I like the potential for stories the new Status Quo has brought and how this allows the X-men to tackle old situations on different ways.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-01-2021 at 09:10 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Spectacular Member

Gen X was in the same tradition as the O5/New Mutants, as in a small handful of students learning in a mansion, operating as a team/family. The 'big school' concept with the X-Men acting as teachers for a huge student body originated with nasty Singer's film, but it was Morrison who brought it to the page(and it only really worked with him, I didn't like the latter attempts).

I think most of you didn't really read Generation X, though. They were quite distinct from the X-Men at the time, based in Emma's Massachusetts Academy. She never interacted with the main team back then, outside of an Annual pool party splash page or some such nonsense. Emma wasn't even fully trusted by Banshee for most of the run, and the series ended with the kids afraid of Emma, who fled the country under duress after killing her sister and the police officer investigating. It was only Morrison's actions that actually brought her into the X-Men.
    Lobdell was the one that showed Emma could be part of the X family because she was trusted with the kids in the splinter school after the Phalanx Covenant. If you mean the kids being seen in the school every issue then NO it wasn't done in the Lobdell era. I would even say that the X-Men have moved on from the whole school concept because all mutants, good or bad, have a choice to go and live on Krakoa while it feeds on them.
    I can see a nod to Claremont and Lobdell in this new era but I can't see a nod to Morrison. If it wasn't for the whole Xorn/Magneto retcon then we might have a completely different story than we have today.
    To this day I still don't know what or who Cassandra Nova is or why he introduced this character?

I haven’t been interested in a long time. At least my wallet is happier.

I try to stay updated enough to where I can jump back in if/when a good time comes.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

I was 10!
    That explains everything. Us 80s babies are the coolest. Lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

I think mutants living on Krakoa and having their own society had to be done, and both Morrison and Hickman were right to do so. If the X-Men just fight villains, whatīs the point? Isnīt that what the Avengers are for? In fact in the 1980s and 1990s while the mutant X-Men were hated, public mutants in Avengers like Beast, the Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver were loved. So why wouldnīt the X-men just join the Avengers?

Now the mutants are a society and nation instead of just a superhero team, and their situation is very different from the public heroes that the Avengers are.

Spectacular Member

X-Treme Storm was the last great Storm. I loved that Era for her. I would say the movies and the BP marriage killed her relevance to X-Men moreso than anything else. I loved Claremont's classic feel in counterbalance with Morrison's novelty. I have even heard rumors Morrison intended to have Scott cheat on Jean with Ororo, but Claremont called 'dibs', so Morrison used Emma instead. Would that have made Storm more central in the [modern]franchise? Perhaps, but Hudlin would have come in to steal her away for BP in 2006 after Morrison was long gone anyways. It is debatable, though. Had Morrison not introduced Emma to the main team, would Whedon, etc have used her too? Probably not. In either case, it shows how influential Morrison's 40 issues were; setting the tone for decades of content in his wake. Only time will tell if Hickman's run will ripple out as much, but he's already written more issues, including several wonky/flat stories, so his average is already skewing less favorably.
    So Whedon only used Emma because of Morrison? So, did Morrison only use her because of her role in Gen x? I just want to remind you that Generation X finished when New X-Men was starting.
    Do you think the last 20 years have been good for the X-Men franchise?

it really felt like Hickman narration and not like Synch

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Hickman only developed his big Secret War crossover after three years on Avengers titles so from the beggining I didnīt think we would see right away the end of the story proposed by HoX and PoX, the pandemic also has been a problem for a writer whoīs used to develop his story at his own pace but I personally would like to see a little more character work with the traditional X-men from Hickman, that would be my one issue with his run.

I liked some of his issues while I disliked others and after the Gala it seems he will apply a reset to his X-men title which I think itīs neccesary to get the attention of readers again after such a long time.

While I think he will still bring a nice and new story that will impact the X-men mythos I think, as he himself say, his biggest contribution to the line appart from Krakoa will be the way all the writers can work together to build a bigger story from the individual stories each one is telling on their own titles, I love how situations like the crucible can be addressed within the story by another writer as a genuine criticism on Krakoaīs culture and still is part of the bigger story everybody is helping to tell.

So I will adress my oppinion on Hickmanīs run alone once the Gala is done and we see how he does with the X-men team but I like the potential for stories the new Status Quo has brought and how this allows the X-men to tackle old situations on different ways.
    Thi si snothing new on X-men. Shooter and Harras where doing that 30 years ago.

I don't think it is working anymore because majority of writers now aren't that good. It really feels like they are having pace problems
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-02-2021 at 09:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    it really felt like Hickman narration and not like Synch

Thi si snothing new on X-men. Shooter and Harras where doing that 30 years ago.

I don't think it is working anymore because majority of writers now aren't that good. It really feels like they are having pace problems
    Youīd really have to measure whether sales are increasing, decreasing, or remaining the same to judge on whether itīs working.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Youīd really have to measure whether sales are increasing, decreasing, or remaining the same to judge on whether itīs working.
    Insiders are saying decreasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    So Whedon only used Emma because of Morrison? So, did Morrison only use her because of her role in Gen x? I just want to remind you that Generation X finished when New X-Men was starting.
    Do you think the last 20 years have been good for the X-Men franchise?
    He only used Emma because he couldn't use Storm is the story I heard. And he only gave her diamond skin because he couldn't use Colossus(who had recently been killed to resolve the Legacy Virus storyline). I enjoyed the New/X-treme run immensely, but what followed was the worst run in the franchise since the original run. I think Hickman has certainly injected new verve into things, but it's not going as well as the HoX opening salvo suggested[it could]. I still would place this Era as 'third' though, behind Claremont's original run(first), and the New/X-treme (second). I was blown away by Hickman's FF, but his Avengers/Secret War stuff fell flat for me. So far it seems that his X-Men run in somewhere in between those parameters, but I'll be sticking around for his ending, even if I can already guess the broad strokes.