Page 16 of 95 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    It started off good with some interesting ideas but now it feels like it's stalling. An idea will be introduced only instead of looking at it more it will be skipped over for something else only to come back to it much later.

Claremont did the exact same thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It’s planting seeds that will come back later. This is a concept decades old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Actually way older than that. Homer planted Aeneas as a background character in the Iliad, only for his storyline to pop back up centuries later in the Aenied where we find out he got away and founded Rome (spoilers).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Example: setting up the return of the Brood in Uncanny X-Men #218, and not actually getting to it until #232, a little over a year later. Or how long the "dissolution era" went for.

If there was social media back then, people would be giving Claremont hell for how he'd pace his arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Example: setting up the return of the Brood in Uncanny X-Men #218, and not actually getting to it until #232, a little over a year later. Or how long the "dissolution era" went for.

If there was social media back then, people would be giving Claremont hell for how he'd pace his arcs.
    It doesn’t mean nothing happened in the meanwhile, nor readers were bored waiting for something that was so reluctant to occur…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

This is false equivalency though; seeds being planted for later stories are like "B" and "C" plots but they don't work if progression isn't being made in the "A" plot simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Actually way older than that. Homer planted Aeneas as a background character in the Iliad, only for his storyline to pop back up centuries later in the Aenied where we find out he got away and founded Rome (spoilers).
    Not the same thing at all. A different author taking a background character and expanding on them in a separate story years later is not a plot seed coming to fruition.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

That is actually a well thought out and honest response.
    Thanks. I know I'm in the minority but there's just very little for me to enjoy even if I can tell that the craft among the X-Books is generally good (mostly on the art-side of things).
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It doesn’t mean nothing happened in the meanwhile, nor readers were bored waiting for something that was so reluctant to occur…
    Some readers are bored, others are not.

Same as it probably was back then. And boards like this aren't really a strong indicator of how most feel either way.

There's more to it then just planting plotline seeds. A good writer can balance a B or C plot in the background, or foreshadow some later big development. Here there hasn't even been much of an A plot. Every issue or two just drops what was going on to focus on some new thing, that will in turn be ignored for months on end. The result is that its hard to tell what is actually important. The genocide they committed? The nameless masked dude? Russia? Which of these actually matter?

It reminds me of a lot of kids cartoons, where the season/series will open with the villain revealing a big plot or plan. And then there's an entire season, if not entire series, where the plot just sort of treads water until the final episode.

Ya'll need to stop looking at X-men as a traditional X-men series ala Uncanny. Its not meant to be. The book functions more like a more important X-men Unlimited. It fits better going into it with that mentality. Hickman has been doing good with it so far with what its intended to be.

Its not hard at all. How is this even a thing? This is a consistent world. It was that way long before hickman. He does not owe it to anyone to wrap every little plot point in a nice little bow from issue to issue. The fact that you find it hard to follow is a reader problem not a writer problem. While he could take the mass appeal approach and have everything spelled out, many readers, myself included, will get tired of that real quick. I want the writing to stimulate my brain rather than insult my intelligence.

It reminds me of a lot of kids cartoons, where the season/series will open with the villain revealing a big plot or plan. And then there's an entire season, if not entire series, where the plot just sort of treads water until the final episode.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    It’s a drag to be honest. Ready for this cult vibe to be over with, for the characters to matter more than the plot and the xmen to feel like themselves again.
    This is how I feel as well. I haven't really been enjoying this direction the X-verse has been going in and I'm ready for it to be over.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I really enjoyed HOX/POX, though I was never really fully on board with the whole resurrection process, but otherwise I felt some amazing groundwork was done to get this new era started. The first few months were great, shining examples of the new mutant status quo, and then things started to stall. And that may have been partly because of external factors like the delays with the pandemic, but it felt like for a good year not much has progressed outside of X of Swords. And with that, much of that story wasn't even really progressing. So the whole era has kind of stalled for me, for the most part - though Hellions has been super fun.

I think part of the reason is because we know this can't last forever. The natural progression is Dawn Of X, Reign of X, and "Fall" of X (or whatever term they'll use to get the meaning across). Mind you I didn't expect that Fall of X would be happening 2 years into the new era, even without the pandemic delays, but I expected the cracks to showing more than they are right now. That's not to say there aren't any cracks at all, but so many seeds were planted that we're no longer sure if they're going to be ripe for harvest or withering on the vine. Hopefully the former, I think I've always been most interested in how this era is going to end. Not for it to end specifically, but the road to the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    There's more to it then just planting plotline seeds. A good writer can balance a B or C plot in the background, or foreshadow some later big development. Here there hasn't even been much of an A plot. Every issue or two just drops what was going on to focus on some new thing, that will in turn be ignored for months on end. The result is that its hard to tell what is actually important. The genocide they committed? The nameless masked dude? Russia? Which of these actually matter?

It reminds me of a lot of kids cartoons, where the season/series will open with the villain revealing a big plot or plan. And then there's an entire season, if not entire series, where the plot just sort of treads water until the final episode.
    I think books having more than one plot more fullfilling than just one-shots that rarely have any pay off. Claremont was much more rewarding on issue by issue or arc by arc basis.

The book is directionless. Some story teases dropping and then not continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I think books having more than one plot more fullfilling than just one-shots that rarely have any pay off. Claremont was much more rewarding on issue by issue or arc by arc basis.

The book is directionless. Some story teases dropping and then not continuing.
    I think the big difference from hickman and claremont is the amount of xbooks that are currently being pushed out. Hickman has been given an incredible amount of freedom to explore all of these plot threads. The end goal seems obvious as this will be something to judge later on down the road when the run is over and the trades go on sale and people can read it in its entirety. Its premature to say the plot points are not going anywhere.