Page 18 of 95 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    They did just save the world from the Amenth horde and Arrako....a problem mostly created by Apocalypse but still they cleaned up their mess to the worlds benefit lol.
    It’s also weird because there have been a number of plots (particularly in Marauders) that are all about saving humans or getting them life saving drugs, but I still see posters say on the daily that the X-Men don’t care about humans anymore. Of course there’s also a lot of shady stuff going on behind the scenes with the Professor, Beast, etc. but that doesn’t seem to be the mentality that everyone has.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think the better question is when did it go from "Sworn to protect a world that hates and fears them" to "Screw the rest of the world. We're just going to take care of our own people."

Show us the receipts.
    Last edited by Fokken; 04-05-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It’s also weird because there have been a number of plots (particularly in Marauders) that are all about saving humans or getting them life saving drugs, but I still see posters say on the daily that the X-Men don’t care about humans anymore. Of course there’s also a lot of shady stuff going on behind the scenes with the Professor, Beast, etc. but that doesn’t seem to be the mentality that everyone has.
    There’s a difference to save humans because you consider yourself as a human and you save your fellow.

And saving humans because it’s a good idea to do it, it’s a favour you do to them, a policy that could change… I find it terribly patronizing.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    There’s a difference to save humans because you consider yourself as a human and you save your fellow.

And saving humans because it’s a good idea to do it, it’s a favour you do to them, a policy that could change… I find it terribly patronizing.
    If I’m getting my life saved it’s not gonna really make a difference to me.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I think there is many books that issue by issue are satisfying experience
    it's subjective, but for me nothing that costs $4-5 and can be finished in three minutes is going to be wholly satisfying compared to how packed individual issues were in previous decades.

And this is generally across the board as far as the Big Two go.

On a political level. People prefered to be saved but who wants his life to be saved by people who despise him?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

SAME. I don't care WHY you feel the need to save me from a burning building or whatever, just please save me.

And on the flipside, please spare me thoughts and prayers should I perish and instead, STOP SETTING ME ON FIRE DAMN IT.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    it's subjective, but for me nothing that costs $4-5 and can be finished in three minutes is going to be wholly satisfying ....
    I feel like there is a joke in here about sex

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I feel like there is a joke in here about sex
    There can be now!

The life saving drugs are a bargain to get humans to approve Krakoa country and alow mutants free transit everywhere, mutants aren't being all nice about it

They are being economical.

Astonishing Member

I can't speak for other posters, but what i usualy see in a critical manner is not that they don't care about fellow humans anymore, but that their official attitude seems to have shifted into feeling and acting like they are superior, better by default and more "civilized" than the rest of humanity.

They even regulary use "humans" as a term for something bad or weak now and clearly cut themself off from considering themself part of grand tribe that is humanity. Which feels like it only plays in the hands of those who had fought all this time to convince other people to not see them as fellow people anymore (just see Striker in God Loves, Man Kills).

So the overall reason for their heroics deeds feels like it has shifted from helping fellow people with the special gifts they have gained by random (shared) chance, to helping someone beneath them, weaker, less capable, than them. Pitty instead of regular compassion driving them, so to speak. Xavier even keeps talking of normal humans as if they are children. Hence why i compare the general attitude to a self-serving form of the "noblesse oblige" mentality.

And it's not like the individual X-men characters aren't still showing compassion for other humans. But it's that the group attitude seems to have shifted towards this "looking down" mentality.

It's not the villains anymore trying to divide humanity. It's the heros doing the job for them now. Which is where it feels like the X-men comics as a whole have lost their way.

The result of 15+ years of bad writing and editorial decissions having poisoned the franchise to a state, where heros have given up on their goals. A depressing state, not made better in my view by the current direction.
    I just hope Hickman's end of the story will put it all in a better place (instead of just out of it's missery and start new).

I also find it somewhat problematic for the mutant metaphor, given that millions of people around the world are suffering and dying daily because of various horrible circumstances from persecution, armed conflicts, or industrial exploitation. Compared to that, do mutants deserve more attention and special treatment than all the normal humans suffering, because the mutants have super powers and the others don't?

It also makes some of Xavier's words from one of these pages posted somewhat problematic in my opinion:
    Xavier: "They've murdered so many of us, the world has grown used to it." "This is just... how things are for... those people. Mutants."

Excuse me, but isn't that how things are for many humans since the dawn of mankind?
    Does Xavier really believe normal humans aren't suffering just as much if not more on a much grander scale than mutants? Is he ignoring all the people persecuted for their appearance, sexuality or culture?

I understand the mutant metaphor as representing persecution and suffering, but also pride and expression, which is shared with various real life groups.
    But when said fictional group is acting like they are better and more deserving than anyone else and cutting themself off from the very species that contains said real life groups, doesn't that harm the metaphor?

And that's one of the reasons why i'm so critical of the current direction as is, since we can't say yet if it's direction going forth (just making things worse and enforcing an eventual brute force destruction of everything as far as i can see it) or one to be explored and ultimately deconstructed now (which will be better enjoyed in trades though).
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-05-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Spectacular Member

So one of the reasons Mutants now see themselves as gods is because of the 16.5 million mutants that were killed during the Morrison run.

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    So one of the reasons Mutants now see themselves as gods is because of the 16.5 million mutants that were killed during the Morrison run.
    Gods don't get crushed by humans & robots on a regular basis. These people stay dying & cloning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I don’t know how many posters here read Hickman’s run on Avengers but it’s structured fairly similarly. Tons of world building and plot over character development with pay off way down the road. For me it just made me excited for every issue but the wait can be brutal sometimes. Reading this run by Hickman when it’s all done is going the be a great day or two of just comic book goodness.
    I thoroughly enjoyed his ultimate run but there I wasn’t overly familiar or attached to the characters. More a “what if” experience. I didn’t like the ending though. Felt it was a bit anticlimactic and short considering the buildup.

On his avengers run I went from very immersed to bored. Never finished secret war. The buildup again was the best part. The teasing of the ideas was so much more satisfying then the actual end. Much of it was introduced and then never properly explored. The ramp up of the threats made it so that characters introduced early on was disposed to make room for bigger threats. A common problem but still a problem.

Several ideas and beats are recurring. Children of the vault is the makers dome. Even though Mike Carey introduced them. So far that concept feels old and more like a side quest. Often it’s the execution of the ideas and not the ideas themselves that matter . With Hickman you get the feeling that he keeps reusing ideas without changing the execution enough. Some might say it’s great ideas painted in grey. With someone like Carey it could be great ideas or normal ideas but more focus on the execution. Instead of grey there where colors and that was what made it great.

Not to say that Mike Carey is perfect. But he has that touch that Hickman hasn’t. With Hickman it’s the ideas. Pile them on and speculate. That is where the fun is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    it's subjective, but for me nothing that costs $4-5 and can be finished in three minutes is going to be wholly satisfying compared to how packed individual issues were in previous decades.

And this is generally across the board as far as the Big Two go.
    There is a reason manga have become so popular. 120+ pages, every 3 to 4 months, for 8 to 10 bucks is quite a bargain compared to the monthly single issues of the big two.

Of course western cape comics have a higher quality of paper, ink and artists are less exploited or worked to the bone. So it's not like the japanese comic industry is necessarily better. But they still have a better marketing and release system.

It keeps making me wonder if it would in the long run be better to bring the single issues out purely digital for a lower price (and perhaps bi-monthly releases) and reserve physical copies to trades? Or at least only bring out the best sellers with the usual popular characters physicaly and bring out experimental or niche titles in pure digital form or in anthology books?

Of course it would likely cause a strong decline in initital income, but in the long run something needs to be done, since the market is currently worse than stagnating for the big two compared to the japanese comics or the indie-works.