Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I did hope the Hickman run would eventually result in the mutants having a better relationship with humanity (which I still have hope will be the case at the end of the run, even if that isn't really the case right now at the...midpoint?)

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I did hope the Hickman run would eventually result in the mutants having a better relationship with humanity (which I still have hope will be the case at the end of the run, even if that isn't really the case right now at the...midpoint?)
    Are we even close to the midpoint? i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    Are we even close to the midpoint? i doubt it.
    I'm assuming with the naming convention (Dawn of X, Reign of X, etc) that if not the middle the Hellfire Gala is the kick off of part 2 of 3

Personally, the Hickman era has lost momentum for me. By the way people were talking on these boards back in 2019 before Hickman’s era launched, I thought it was going to be an absolutely golden few years for the X-Men but honestly, I’ve been quite disappointed and have lost interest in quite a few titles. I really think if the titles were more streamlined (1 X-M title & 1 UXM title with maybe a couple of limited series sprinkled here and there throughout the years) instead of having like 10 titles.. I feel like the amount of titles, even though it’s great for many fans to have access to such a large amount of content, I feel like all these titles kinda overwhelmed the era. I think HoX & PoX worked so brilliantly because they took things slow, releasing 1 issue a month of each title and the story was built up at an organic pace whereas with the release of the Dawn of X titles, I felt like books were being thrown at me left, right and centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Personally, the Hickman era has lost momentum for me. By the way people were talking on these boards back in 2019 before Hickman’s era launched, I thought it was going to be an absolutely golden few years for the X-Men but honestly, I’ve been quite disappointed and have lost interest in quite a few titles. I really think if the titles were more streamlined (1 X-M title & 1 UXM title with maybe a couple of limited series sprinkled here and there throughout the years) instead of having like 10 titles.. I feel like the amount of titles, even though it’s great for many fans to have access to such a large amount of content, I feel like all these titles kinda overwhelmed the era. I think HoX & PoX worked so brilliantly because they took things slow, releasing 1 issue a month of each title and the story was built up at an organic pace whereas with the release of the Dawn of X titles, I felt like books were being thrown at me left, right and centre.
    A hold over problem from the 90's...

I'm loving it so far. Still very inspiring and unique. A great team os writers developing the mutants with a lot of respect and originality. I hope this era lasts still for a long time.

Too early to change. The best the X-books have been in years. I don't miss the generic superhero tone the books had in the last decade.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Not perfect and there are many areas of improvement, but I can honestly say since 2008, this is the best shape the X-men franchise has ever been in, imo. More characters than ever are actually being used and pushed forward, there's something for everyone and while I similarly thought after HOX/POX we would continue with stories in that vein. I don't want to rush this, I know the status quo is king and eventually things will have to return to they're basic settings. But the creativity being displayed in the X-franchise is nothing we've seen for years, the X-men as a whole are finally being allowed to move forward. There is so much potential with this overall direction and while again I don't agree with everything Hickman is doing, it is a joy to see my favorite comic book in all of fandom finally returning to it's age of glory.

I think for some they want all the answers Hickman poised in HOX/POX and because he hasn't jumped directly into that story, he might have lost some attention. But personally, I like that he's taking his time and doing things at their own pace. I'm a huge fan of Morrison run and I've been waiting two decades for another run to inject that kind of excitement into the X-men. Has he reached the level of Morrison just yet, no, but I don't think that's the point Hickman has a clear vision for this franchise, and maybe I'm too easily contend. But new and creative ideas is what this franchise has sorely been missing. One of the lowest points for me was the late 00's because the entirety of the franchise revolved around 5 or 6 mutants who appears across every book, and every major crossover I like seeing the diversity, I like seeing characters who would have never been thought of even 5 years ago, alive and thriving. I was tired of the X-men being made small and Hickman is adding to rather than deconstructing and again as a fan it is a nice change of pace.

I'll leave my thoughts on this here, I don't think we're ever going to see anything like this again, eventually the franchise's focus will return to the mostly white straight cis A-listers. On that day I'll be saddened for no other reason than this era is proving POC and the LGBT communities can be represented in innovative and nuanced ways something editors and management at Marvel has refused to do consistently since the start of the company or hell even in the last 10 years.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 03-27-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    There’s more than nostalgy: they are supposed to be the same characters. Different writers, different artists but the name of the characters, their general appearance… it is the same. The same puppets with a different puppetmaster. There’s something dishonest, here: there’s at minimum a promise of basic continuity… to be almost each time betrayed.
    Yes, continuity is important. It can bend a bit ehre and there but we should be able to recognize these characters

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Not perfect and there are many areas of improvement, but I can honestly say since 2008, this is the best shape the X-men franchise has ever been in, imo. More characters than ever are actually being used and pushed forward, there's something for everyone and while I similarly thought after HOX/POX we would continue with stories in that vein. I don't want to rush this, I know the status quo is king and eventually things will have to return to they're basic settings. But the creativity being displayed in the X-franchise is nothing we've seen for years, the X-men as a whole are finally being allowed to move forward. There is so much potential with this overall direction and while again I don't agree with everything Hickman is doing, it is a joy to see my favorite comic book in all of fandom finally returning to it's age of glory.

I think for some they want all the answers Hickman poised in HOX/POX and because he hasn't jumped directly into that story, he might have lost some attention. But personally, I like that he's taking his time and doing things at their own pace. I'm a huge fan of Morrison run and I've been waiting two decades for another run to inject that kind of excitement into the X-men. Has he reached the level of Morrison just yet, no, but I don't think that's the point Hickman has a clear vision for this franchise, and maybe I'm too easily contend. But new and creative ideas is what this franchise has sorely been missing. One of the lowest points for me was the late 00's because the entirety of the franchise revolved around 5 or 6 mutants who appears across every book, and every major crossover I like seeing the diversity, I like seeing characters who would have never been thought of even 5 years ago, alive and thriving. I was tired of the X-men being made small and Hickman is adding to rather than deconstructing and again as a fan it is a nice change of pace.

I'll leave my thoughts on this here, I don't think we're ever going to see anything like this again, eventually the franchise's focus will return to the mostly white straight cis A-listers. On that day I'll be saddened for no other reason than this era is proving POC and the LGBT communities can be represented in innovative and nuanced ways something editors and management at Marvel has refused to do consistently since the start of the company or hell even in the last 10 years.
    When the franchise focus isn't on the straight white cis?
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-27-2021 at 04:42 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    I feel like this is solely because he isn't writing the titles, and the X-line as a whole is starting to feel like edict by committee.

I mentioned in another thread how disappointed I was that Hellfire Gala is not being written by Hickman so to me it is starting to fray at the ends.

I hope it can dovetail back to HOX/POX days and not get pear shaped

Rang if you're gonna quote 3 whole long paragraphs to respond with a single sentence you gotta clip it to the parts that you're actually responding to.

I am mixed on this era. It has a ton of potential and is rife with fascinating questions that are begging to be addressed and it's an open book for world-building. But only a few books are consistently meeting the mark for me. I've really struggled with the initial unquestioning buy-in by some characters, death seems even more meaningless than it used to, and a lot of the new villains just don't interest me. And while we're seeing more mutants than ever which is amazing, it feels like only a small select few favorites are getting essential roles in the overall story of this era. I do like the interconnectedness between books. Several books are lacking for me in characterizations and charm. They don't deliver on the soap opera and interpersonal relationships aspect of X-Men I love. In that regard and in tackling the world-building and hard questions, I'd say X-Factor and Vita's New Mutants have been very satisfying. And it seems that Hellions and S.W.O.R.D. are also making high marks in these categories. Dunno, DoX has just felt like it was there to take up space and try to tell us everything is cool, all the while showing us some things that aren't so cool. Then telling us we're crazy for saying these things seem wrong. That's the part that feels cult-like. DoX has been like the salad and bread, when what you really want is the main course and you're just impatiently waiting for it to arrive. It also doesn't help that this era largely has taken my faves and sidelined them. I hope post-Gala is a big shake up. I'm also pretty excited for Way of X.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Yes, continuity is important. It can bend a bit ehre and there but we should be able to recognize these characters

When the franchise focus isn't on the straight white cis?
    lol....you know it

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I read some of the series that lead to the new era under Hickman and I could not really get into it from the start, so I differ from your predicament. I tried Hellions but ended up hating it despite the premise seeming interesting and I liked the idea of reading Havok again, its been a while. I have been only following X-Factor, still yet to get into the other titles. I may read an issue of the other series just to get a feel. Though I am looking forward to the gala and the Way of X. So I may be going in the opposite direction to you.

I still love it.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

The number of books doesn't matter. You don't have to read everything. I like X-Force, Marauders, S.W.O.R.D., Hellions and the latest writing of New Mutants. The rest doesn't interest me much.

Hickman himself hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was on HoxPox. Not close. Mostly pretty lame. And I don't like his writing for the characters besides the ones that are supposed to be cold and mean, and that's the easiest type of character to write.

I LOVE the setting of Krakoa and I LOVE that resurrection makes it harder for writers to push a death to sell a weak story. I LOVE that the X-Men are now hated and feared for other world governments thinking they have too much power. But that's mostly setting and backdrop.

Storywise, the era overall is just OK.

X of Swords was dreadful and I am hoping that the Hellfire Gala is more than just single-use character redesigns, but we'll see.

Honestly, I'm not wowed overall. It's a bit overrated but OK.