Page 46 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    Got to love it. Especially he has bought Synch back into the fold. and I'm hoping Jonathan Hicks will evolve Sunfire's character. Woukd like to know how he went from Japanese ultra-nationalist to mutant advocate.
    Hickman is not writing this book. I don't expect any explanation for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    We can have some mutants on a mansion and some mutants on krakoa. On Schism there was utopia and the mansion, bendis had Mansion and the old abandoned x-weapon facility
    Honestly, the idea of an island of mutants and the school concept has been done to death.

I would be more open into something bigger but smaller scale like a town or small city that attracts mutants with Xavier and Magneto running the show while that concept be run by a City Council composed of mutants but its existence is hidden from the world and government. That's something I would defo throw money at.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The92Ghost View Post
    This is a perfect reflection of the current world, the world is right now separated but with 60/40 cut, instead of 50/50. 60% for the gays, black people and others, and 40% who fear them or feel pure hatred or disgust between them. Don't forget, X-Men comics always reflected the real world even if they are like half-decade behind.
    Not sure whatsoever that those numbers track at all, both for real life and in-universe

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiycoBatSquirrel View Post
    Honestly, the idea of an island of mutants and the school concept has been done to death.

I would be more open into something bigger but smaller scale like a town or small city that attracts mutants with Xavier and Magneto running the show while that concept be run by a City Council composed of mutants but its existence is hidden from the world and government. That's something I would defo throw money at.
    You mean like, say, a mutants only planet?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    It was not the sterilization of mutants, either. Two mutants can have a human child. That was true before and after M Day.

And I agree, itÂ’s part of the consequences of Marvel editorial not thinking things through the character and story implications.
    I meant that mutant children could no longer be born, essentially "sterilizing" mutantkind. This isn't a big logical leap, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I give Marvel and Hickman this — it certainly isn’t boring, it’s a title and series of titles on the must-read list now. I’m still hanging in with Dawn of X.

I just donÂ’t agree with HickmanÂ’s direction entirely is all.

Real baddies are now goodies. I donÂ’t really like that.

I donÂ’t like XavierÂ’s hatch-a-mutant plans.

Hickman mischaracterizes what Wanda did with depowering into killing all the affected mutants.

Hickman presents Genosha like it’s Bolivar Trask’s fault when Bolivar has been dead since the ‘60s, in real time. Even in Marvel time, it’s been like a decade from his death to Genosha.

These things also leave out that mutants caused these “genocides.”

Yes, Wanda is supposedly now not a mutant. We’re a retcon away from her being a mutant again, and a retcon away from the obvious — she’s not a mutant because she said, “No more mutants.”

Casandra Nova is to blame for Genosha, and being that she created herself from Charles’ mutant cells, she’s a mutant too, whether Marvel editorial has taken the time to think that through or not. That’s in addition to being Xavier’s evil, unborn twin, and a “mummudrai,” which is basically a Shi’ar demon who lives in the astral plane, those Shi’ar being some of Xavier’s oldest allies.

I admit, Hickman has his work cut out for him. There’s nearly 60 years of insanity, bad continuity and awful stories to overcome, in addition to some great ones. But using as justification for the Krakoan nation the fictional mutant “genocides” — while leaving out consideration that Magneto and Xavier and their family relations played huge roles and even caused those slaughters — misrepresents the stories printed before this.

I’m not saying it’s Xavier’s and Magneto’s fault, but it’s a pretty ridiculous notion that the people of Krakoa are going to have attitudes akin to: “Yes, please lead us, now that your ‘daughter’ depowered us and your evil twin genocided us. You two are the kinds of leaders we need! Your other ‘daughter’ and any other secret siblings are all cool, though, right?” It’s basically preposterous that the mutants of the world would follow Magneto and Xavier, especially if those “genocides” are the reasons. More likely in real life, the mutants of the world would be hunting Magneto and Xavier down for what their families wrought, whether that’s fair to Xavier and Magneto or not.

Again, IÂ’m sticking with the HiXmen for now. I am hoping he resolves these things in satisfactory ways.
    It's a little boring to me.

If Hickman actually equated what Wanda did to killing mutants that's either just wrong or a retcon that isn't being addressed. Or maybe it's something to do with the timelines, who knows.

Do we actually know how much history/canon is still intact?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Spectacular Member

I like Hickman's take on the x-men so far. Or at least the world building he has done so far. The only issue I have is that I feel like almost all the x-books are still " old fashioned " x-books only now they live on an island and there is no time or panel wasted on trying to get the characters back to life in story. They just get reborn on Krakoa.

It would be cooler if the teams that we see in the books would have more fore mutant villains in them and have the interaction between them and the x-men be more strained or interesting. And show more of life on Krakoa. Where do all those 10 of thousands of mutants live on the island?? Why isn't anyone, trying to teach those mutants to become better in using their powers ? isn't there a single new mutant that has a powers powerful enough to elevate to one of Krakoa's new x-teams?

The Marauders basically went out once or twice only to "free" some mutants and bring them to Krakoa after that they just dealt with smuggling, so does that mean no new mutants are being rescued from those non-treaty countries anymore? Also: Is there is no crime on Krakoa?? really, nobody does something wrong and if they do, who is the police on the island if the x-men all go of the island to deal with threats from the outside?

For me, Now is the time to finally give some minorities ( black, asian, latino etc) x-men to redefine themselves and get them ready for the inevitable x-movies of the MCU ( I am looking at you Bishop) yet we get the same old white as Lillies x-men with the same exceptions again ( Storm, Jubilee, Kwannon).

In other words. The Hickman era has finally given us something new and fresh and exciting and dangerous, yet somehow marvel doesn't want to take that opportunity to go in all the way and make some real changes, but it is just giving us same old x-men with a dash of Krakoa for new flavoring. And that is disappointing.

Okay the only exception to this might be SWORD. But that book is already going into it's second Marvel event and to me it has lost its : its an X-men Book moniker with that.
    Last edited by Dev; 04-19-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I meant that mutant children could no longer be born, essentially "sterilizing" mutantkind. This isn't a big logical leap, IMO.

It's a little boring to me.

If Hickman actually equated what Wanda did to killing mutants that's either just wrong or a retcon that isn't being addressed. Or maybe it's something to do with the timelines, who knows.

For me there isn't any reason to believe this is a changed timeline

Bruh what are talking about?
    retcon of what?
    Few Facts aka not headcanon
    The Pretenders spell affected the multiverse...

Some mutants died when she "only depowered" them.

Sooo if 1% of Mutants across the multiverse needed their powers to live.....
    I mean I do. Starting to realize some readers only know the "history" that aligns with how they think
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    retcon of what?

I mean I do. Starting to realize some readers only know the "history" that aligns with how they think
    The multiverse thing was never proved and the multiverse was reset

They are talking baout futures not multiverses.
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-19-2021 at 08:19 PM.

For me there isn't any reason to believe this is a changed timeline
    I just think there's an open door to that possibility.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

retcon of what?

Yikes, can't win for trying.

On the one hand, I'm saying what Wanda did can't be hand-waved as not a genocide, and on the other I'm saying that it's not a 1:1 corollary either. Guess there can't be any nuance to this question.

I mean, I was asking a question in good faith, but sure, take it that way if you want to.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I just think there's an open door to that possibility.
    Then we could be on a alternate timeline. not impossible but tit would dilute what he is doing

The multiverse thing was never proved and the multiverse was reset

They are talking baout futures not multiverses.
    I mean Forge just kinda proved it.
    AoA isn't 616s future. And even if it were and they were looking at "futures" how is it any different then the multiverse? They're still observing universes not their own
    Yikes, can't win for trying.

On the one hand, I'm saying what Wanda did can't be hand-waved as not a genocide, and on the other I'm saying that it's not a 1:1 corollary either. Guess there can't be any nuance to this question.

I mean, I was asking a question in good faith, but sure, take it that way if you want to.
    oh my bad I obviously didn't fully understand what you were saying...My B again
    Last edited by BroHomo; 04-20-2021 at 01:33 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

I mean Forge just kinda proved it.
    AoA isn't 616s future. And even if it were and they were looking at "futures" how is it any different then the multiverse? They're still observing universes not their own
    oh my bad I obviously didn't fully understand what you were saying...My B again
    Yup in the same story you had Beasts across the multiverse explain that M-day depowered their mutant population

Mighty Member

retcon of what?

well considering what we know now about Moira, Xavier and Magneto having advanced knowledge of future events and the fact that for all intents and purposes mutants are now immortal; what's the issue? Xavier was planning for this by dealing with Sinister to get mutant DNA and I'm sure every mutant that "died" during M-day has been resurrected. At this point it comes off as pettiness, I'm alive again and I can be resurrected anytime, I live on an island that caters to my every want and need but I want revenge/vengeance on the pretender because I'm still mad. So I guess every human that has been harmed/wronged by mutants should have the same mindset, although no human killed at the hand of a mutant is being resurrected. Funny that.