Page 8 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I also don't get people need to streamline the books. It's like if you don't want to buy them all then don't buy them. Those of us who want to we do and it allows us to read more character than just the few whedon picked or Morrison (both main teams pretty much only white people as the main human like mutants for the most of it. Marvel loses money producing books that people don't buy not readers.
    I feel the same. Although currently I'm only reading SWORD I appreciate having options. I'm not sure why some feel the need to buy all the books of they don't like all the books. I personally only buy what interest me, no need in wasting money lol

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I also don't get people need to streamline the books. It's like if you don't want to buy them all then don't buy them. Those of us who want to we do and it allows us to read more character than just the few whedon picked or Morrison (both main teams pretty much only white people as the main human like mutants for the most of it. Marvel loses money producing books that people don't buy not readers.
    For me it's a matter of keeping the whole line successful, all the books relevant and all the writers working in sync which can get increasingly difficult to do when you keep expanding. From a sales standpoint, look at how successful HOX/POX were versus where sales are now. A slow downward spiral is typical of most comics series however I think it's also easy to see a connection between that and the ongoing expansion of the X-line. You do 5 books and they all debut with X amount of pre-orders. You do 12 books and see where you land with the likes of X-Corp and Way of X. That in turn creates the narrative that Hickman's run is not selling well when it's in fact corporate greed that's eroding its success.

Incredible Member

I had stopped reading X-men books consistently, as they have all been pretty boring retreads. Another Jean Grey resurrection, another phoenix, another time-traveling X-team, etc.

Yes, Hickman's direction makes them lose a large part of the 'persecution of mutants' aspect of things, but we've already seen 50+ years of that. Most of the previous events have continued that same story but trying to dress it a new coat of paint to make it interesting (Probably a pitch someone made: How about mutants are persecuted by a cloud? And then they have to live in Limbo? How great does that sound?!)

It definitely was time for something new, and Hickman's xbooks have given us that. Certainly, it hasn't been at the level that the beginning issues set (Powers of X, etc.), but it has all been consistently interesting (Excalibur being the one exception for me, with the magic angle just not resonating with me).

Humans persecuting mutants is still there, its just punted to the back burner for the future (see HoX/PoX future timelines), which allows for the current series to show (1) whether the future can be avoided, or (2) the height before the fall.

I'm aware that a large percentage of X-fans are gonna bitch no matter who the creative team behind the X-line is or what sort of stories/titles the X-line is putting out. And that's fine. I had my time in that mindset for almost a decade. My two cents? Hickman's era is the most cohesive the line has been since the Decimation era, and I tend to enjoy the X-men more and purchase more titles when there is a cohesive story being told. I'll admit, it's not flawless, and it's progressing at a slower pace than I'd like, but I trust that Hickman knows what he's doing and that when he does decide to pivot or accelerate his endgame, I won't be disappointed.

Even though they're acting out of character or cult-like, it's nice to see mutants finally emerge as the dominant species. They're forcing the global economy to rely on them, and they're using that pressure for political benefits. They're expanding their territory, adventuring into magical/multiversal realms and outer space. I'm sad this new status quo is never going to last, but I'm getting a kick out of things working out well for mutants for once, for the most part.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    For me it's a matter of keeping the whole line successful, all the books relevant and all the writers working in sync which can get increasingly difficult to do when you keep expanding. From a sales standpoint, look at how successful HOX/POX were versus where sales are now. A slow downward spiral is typical of most comics series however I think it's also easy to see a connection between that and the ongoing expansion of the X-line. You do 5 books and they all debut with X amount of pre-orders. You do 12 books and see where you land with the likes of X-Corp and Way of X. That in turn creates the narrative that Hickman's run is not selling well when it's in fact corporate greed that's eroding its success.
    I just see it from the perspective that i am a consumer. I don't have any personal stake in the whole line, i don't care if it is setting the world on fire or not all i care about is if i'm entertained. At the end of the day marvel is not cutting me a check and so i try to approach it simply from consumer level because that is all that matters to me. As such the x-line is much more healthy if people like me have options and can buy what we want than to be stuck with fewer books we casts we have no interest in reading about, and things we don't want to see and thereby limiting the amount of potential sales you have. For me i can read about any x-book but when there are only 3 or 4 books and everybody white, that bothers me a lot more than if it sales or not.

Maybe i just see it a little different. Living a life of barely getting representation in materials you buy you care more about what you feel the quality and entertainment level is for yourself than if it will be gone tomorrow because it wasn't a success. Like i love NAruto but if it got cancelled when i was watching it i would be all like "Well weren't, any black ninjas anyway." and move on.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-30-2021 at 07:52 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I'm enjoying the satellite titles but I really wish Hickman would move along his main plots. I want more on Orchis and the Nimrods and the Blackhole Gods and Moira and Destiny. Those are what made me interested in the first place; the resurrections and Krakoa were secondary.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I just see it from the perspective that i am a consumer. I don't have any personal stake in the whole line, i don't care if it is setting the world on fire or not all i care about is if i'm entertained. At the end of the day marvel is not cutting me a check and so i try to approach it simply from consumer level because that is all that matters to me. As such the x-line is much more healthy if people like me have options and can buy what we want than to be stuck with fewer books we casts we have no interest in reading about, and things we don't want to see and thereby limiting the amount of potential sales you have. For me i can read about any x-book but when there are only 3 or 4 books and everybody white, that bothers me a lot more than if it sales or not.
    I’m really surprised that people are against the larger number of books because one of the main complaints I heard before this era was, “My fave isn’t even showing up in the books so I don’t care.” So many different mutants are at least getting a chance to shine. If they were somehow able to have 5 to 6 titles with huge team lineups that didn’t crumble under the pressure of balancing the casts then I’d be down for that. I will say that having a lot of books can be a financial burden and I totally empathize (and deal with) that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Even though they're acting out of character or cult-like, it's nice to see mutants finally emerge as the dominant species. They're forcing the global economy to rely on them, and they're using that pressure for political benefits. They're expanding their territory, adventuring into magical/multiversal realms and outer space. I'm sad this new status quo is never going to last, but I'm getting a kick out of things working out well for mutants for once, for the most part.
    This is exactly what X-men never stood for and the minority alegory is even lmore botched and irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Yes, it's better for the line have less book but better written. Have a lot of book than using skip months to publish them is very dumb, they are jump out points.
    Diversity can happen with less books, it isn't excuse to launch a lot of badly selling books that few people gonna read
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-30-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Mighty Member

It's going great actually. It's breathed new life into the XMEN, and made them the talk of the town again.

Hickman is doing great (this coming from someone who is very critical of cis white straight writers) and he is also giving lots of writers their own time to shine (Tini and now Duggan).

It does suck however if you are a fan of Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Iceman, Bishop. But that if more the fault of other writers than Hickman. I guess the lack of X23 can be blamed on Hickman.

Yes, XofSwords went on way too long but that was editorial trying to milk more money during the COVID crisis.

Even though they're acting out of character or cult-like, it's nice to see mutants finally emerge as the dominant species.
    I've seen this sentiment going around a lot and it really surprises me. Why do people think it's shocking that a minority group (that has been brutally murdered their whole history) wouldn't be humble after rising to power? Seems weird to assume minorities are all super saints. And that the only way to be respected as a minority is to act like you're always the humble victim even when they've risen to power.

Also, people complaining that the books aren't the same quality as HOX/POX? Really? Did you think it would? Did we really think we'd get a Moira sized reveal every other issue for the next 5 years or so?

The original Phoenix Sage took around 3 years to tell. Today's audience would deem that story a failure because it's taking too long to get to the big reveals. Lots of readers expect a shocking action packed reveal every other issue. And when they do get that, then they'll complain nonstop about recons, cheap stunts and writing with no depth.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 03-30-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Never been, OP, never been…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I've seen this sentiment going around a lot and it really surprises me. Why do people think it's shocking that a minority group (that has been brutally murdered their whole history) wouldn't be humble after rising to power? Seems weird to assume minorities are all super saints. And that the only way to be respected as a minority is to act like you're always the humble victim even when they've risen to power.
    My thinking is that maybe readers are offended that mutants won't hang out with humans anymore, and took that emotionally like they don't wanna be friends with us anymore. Period. And that hurt, I presume, since readers have feelings and took this personal. Which to me is mindboggling. It's fiction... never was, never will be real world, never will cross over in real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    This is exactly what X-men never stood for and the minority alegory is even lmore botched and irrelevant
    You're not wrong. The X-men are meant to represent social minorities. At the same time, however, we've been told repeatedly that the concept of "mutants" in the Marvel Universe are meant to be the next stage in human evolution. The problem is that in order for the latter to matter, the former is going to have to become irrelevant at some point. We've had 50+ years of mutants as hated, feared and hunted minorities. We've had countless "extinction" stories. Hickman's just the first writer to tackle the "next stage in human evolution" concept aggressively by allowing themes like species dominance and species competition to play out on a grander scale than we've seen so far. It's new, so I'm all for it.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’m really surprised that people are against the larger number of books because one of the main complaints I heard before this era was, “My fave isn’t even showing up in the books so I don’t care.” So many different mutants are at least getting a chance to shine. If they were somehow able to have 5 to 6 titles with huge team lineups that didn’t crumble under the pressure of balancing the casts then I’d be down for that. I will say that having a lot of books can be a financial burden and I totally empathize (and deal with) that.
    Personally I'm glad we're getting a million books, it gives the people options. The cast is way too big for just Uncanny,Xforce, and Wolverine solo.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    You're not wrong. The X-men are meant to represent social minorities. At the same time, however, we've been told repeatedly that the concept of "mutants" in the Marvel Universe are meant to be the next stage in human evolution. The problem is that in order for the latter to matter, the former is going to have to become irrelevant at some point. We've had 50+ years of mutants as hated, feared and hunted minorities. We've had countless "extinction" stories. Hickman's just the first writer to tackle the "next stage in human evolution" concept aggressively by allowing themes like species dominance and species competition to play out on a grander scale than we've seen so far. It's new, so I'm all for it.
    Yes, they weren't mean to mirror minorities. But Hickman and many fans are using it as justificative for them acting as villains now. A lot of criticism was met with "they are aminority, you are just afraid of minorities getting power", it has been used a shield to not address x-men acting out of character

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    It's going great actually. It's breathed new life into the XMEN, and made them the talk of the town again.

Hickman is doing great (this coming from someone who is very critical of cis white straight writers) and he is also giving lots of writers their own time to shine (Tini and now Duggan).

It does suck however if you are a fan of Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Iceman, Bishop. But that if more the fault of other writers than Hickman. I guess the lack of X23 can be blamed on Hickman.

Yes, XofSwords went on way too long but that was editorial trying to milk more money during the COVID crisis.

Also, people complaining that the books aren't the same quality as HOX/POX? Really? Did you think it would? Did we really think we'd get a Moira sized reveal every other issue for the next 5 years or so?

The original Phoenix Sage took around 3 years to tell. Today's audience would deem that story a failure because it's taking too long to get to the big reveals. Lots of readers expect a shocking action packed reveal every other issue. And when they do get that, then they'll complain nonstop about recons, cheap stunts and writing with no depth.
    Tini did a drag of event, and I don't expect any better from Duggan. his infinity eent on guardians was so bad.

of couse it is never Hickman fault, it's not like he doesn't write books that could have Bishop, Rogue and Gambit.

Well it plays straight into white supremacy discourse hat when minorities get power, they gonna go after white people. it is a true disservice to minorities
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-30-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think some of the comments here answers part of the question for me. It's that those who do see the xmen as representation for minority groups somehow either only see minority groups as oppressed or will only accept them as being a minority group if they are being oppressed. Which is strange thinking to me. Almost as though they should be denied access to a better living because the second they step out of that bubble they become a threat.

And i definitely understand what you mean about how it can be a financial burden and that in of itself is why we have to make choices. one meal at outback is 30 bucks most cases, i just bought me a break down of comics by skipping it. i try to think like that.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-30-2021 at 11:17 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/