Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64
  1. #31
    Spectacular Member Bad Witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    I've enjoyed his writing so far story-wise, though I am concerned with how long the overarching story can maintain the audience's attention now that the book has switched from biweekly to monthly shipping. Can we assume that The Magistrate is the overarching villain of Tynion's run? If we consider that Tynion has said in his news letters he's got a couple more years to go before he's done (assuming late 2023/early 2024, consistent with Snyder's and King's runs being ~4 years long each) there'll be 32 more issues of his run. I'm not sure The Magistrate has the power to go through five TPB volumes, I'm reminded how Superheavy got cut short.

    Plus Tynion has already set it up so that there'll be a Joker War sequel, which I assume is will be the bookend of his run.
    God I hope we don't have to go through two to three more years of this. I hope the sales tank so we can get a good writer. Also, I wouldn't mind a few years of short runs like five or six issues per writer. This multi year epics have run their course. I've gone since 2016 without a writer I enjoy on my favourite book. Not every person is going to like every writer/artist. Now giving a grant Morrison or a brubaker multiple years makes sense because they're phenomenal but snyder/king/tynion don't really deserve these multi year epics. It's getting crazy.

    Give a writer half a year to do a small arc, maybe a couple tie ins or one shots and move on. That way we don't need urban legends and other anthology style books. Zdarsky, priest ect can come one for small runs and then wait to give a writer who deserves a multi year run a run. We are not even half way of tynions run and I want it over.

  2. #32

    Default

    I hate to sound like a downer but I truly can't connect with this run and that feeling has only gotten worse with this week's issue. Too many new characters, feels like I'm reading an indie superhero manga book which is fine but what's the point of calling it a Batman book then? and a whole new back up with a character that's been in like five other issues so far? Under utilizing the great characters in the Bat family hat have been languishing for years.

  3. #33
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    God I hope we don't have to go through two to three more years of this. I hope the sales tank so we can get a good writer.
    Careful what you wish for because when Tynion is done, you're probably getting Bendis for 4 years, lol....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Give a writer half a year to do a small arc, maybe a couple tie ins or one shots and move on. That way we don't need urban legends and other anthology style books. Zdarsky, priest ect can come one for small runs and then wait to give a writer who deserves a multi year run a run. We are not even half way of tynions run and I want it over.
    .... although I agree that, yes, this solution would work.

  4. #34
    Spectacular Member Bad Witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Careful what you wish for because when Tynion is done, you're probably getting Bendis for 4 years, lol....



    .... although I agree that, yes, this solution would work.

    I will seriously dress as zur en arh and be committed to a psyche ward if bendis is on batman. In fact I'm going.to get.started on a backup personality that will trigger if I ever hear or see " Brian Michael bendis is the new batman writer"

  5. #35
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Nooo! No Bendis.

    Please let it be Tom Taylor.

  6. #36
    Incredible Member prepmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Under-utilizing Batfam characters? Lets call the issue for what it is. Its a Barbara Gordon and Ghost-maker comics. This is what you get from Tynion propping up other Batfam members (which he already did in his Tec run) and pushing his own OCs at the same time.

    Barbara Gordon was used to dump writer's infos about new villain of the week and how useful 2 other Batgirls are (but other Batfam members were not mentioned since DC only wants to relaunch "Batgirls" comics). People call her Oracle but i dont. The role transition from Batgirl to Orcale was a forced change due to her Batgirl comics being not sustainable. The point of Oracle was that because she suffered from a disability, it drove her to prove herself to be more than a person on a wheelchair. When Oracle moved out of that wheelchair, the only crime fighting motive that would make sense to her would be to prevent others from getting shot in the same way she was shot. But now she has to be written to be somewhat disabled to assume her former mantle Oracle. Now she is just "the woman forced to be Oracle".

    Tynion is trying to make Ghost-maker likable but i cant see the character has much use as Batman's crime fighting partner when others mention how overcrowded the Batfam is. This is not mentioning how anti Batman Ghost-maker is (same skills, similar tech but just different morals and crime fighting motive). Ghost-maker's crime fighting motive is not better than Batman's and morals conflict with Batman is better explored in characters like Red Hood who has a way more personal connection to Batman.

    More people are hopping onto the traitor train. The main plot is moving at a really slow pace. Batman has to fight side villains before he can get to Scarecrow and the Mayor.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-08-2021 at 03:59 PM.

  7. #37

    Default

    I thought issue 107 was fine but I prefer the Tamaki/Mora story in detective comics more. Bruce is getting a more interesting showcase there.

    Maybe he and Tamaki should've swapped books? Give her and Mora the Batman title while Tynion takes over Detective Comics?

    Issue 107 did get me curious about Ghostmaker/Harley Quinn and their potential dynamic. If Ghost Maker starts popping up in Harley Quinn's solo I'd be fine with it.

    I think Tynion would have worked better with a different lead character.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-07-2021 at 08:56 AM.

  8. #38
    Spectacular Member Bad Witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought issue 107 was fine but I prefer the Tamaki/Mora story in detective comics more. Bruce is getting a more interesting showcase there.

    Maybe he and Tamaki should've swapped books? Give her and Mora the Batman title while Tynion takes over Detective Comics?

    Issue 107 did get me curious about Ghostmaker/Harley Quinn and their potential dynamic. If Ghost Maker starts popping up in Harley Quinn's solo I'd be fine with it.

    I think Tynion would have worked better with a different lead character.
    Not gonna happen. Tynion already did a run on detective which was decent. He sold books during joker war so this is what we have. Tynion is not gonna give up the gold goose just becsuse. It's going to have to be taken from him. Which is why we need to stop buying the book.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Not gonna happen. Tynion already did a run on detective which was decent. He sold books during joker war so this is what we have. Tynion is not gonna give up the gold goose just becsuse. It's going to have to be taken from him. Which is why we need to stop buying the book.
    I'm not saying he should've switched. Just my reaction.

  10. #40
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Nooo! No Bendis.

    Please let it be Tom Taylor.
    Dude read Batman Universe by Bendis, it's really spectacular.

  11. #41
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Not gonna happen. Tynion already did a run on detective which was decent. He sold books during joker war so this is what we have. Tynion is not gonna give up the gold goose just becsuse. It's going to have to be taken from him. Which is why we need to stop buying the book.
    Good luck telling people to not buy a batman book, especailly with Jorge on art. The book must be selling considerably well for DC to be confident enough to let a writer that was originally only a fill in get to become the main writer and also have so much say in the direction of the batman line in general.

  12. #42
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Good luck telling people to not buy a batman book, especailly with Jorge on art. The book must be selling considerably well for DC to be confident enough to let a writer that was originally only a fill in get to become the main writer and also have so much say in the direction of the batman line in general.
    not just him, Tynion's Detective sold really well, it's only natural to give him Batman

  13. #43
    Incredible Member Eto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    720

    Default

    Pretty mediocre so far with new bland characters.

  14. #44
    Mighty Member marvelprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    I was kinda meh with it during Joker War, and I hate that he shuffled Catwoman off to the side and is ignoring that relationship but overall I gotta say I’m enjoying it. I love the new characters he’s added to the book, Ghost Maker and Underbroker in particular are standouts. While I wasn’t the biggest fan of JW it did leave an impact in the books in changing up the status quo somewhat. I think it’s doing a good job of delivering something fresh on the main title.

  15. #45
    Incredible Member prepmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Scarecrow definately has a better showing in Man-bat than in Batman lol. Like the Future State version of Scarecrow, he is capturing other villains and conducting experiments on them.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-08-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •