Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Overall thoughts on Tynion’s run so far?

I’ve always enjoyed his work, or at least found it serviceable, and the art looks spectacular. What does everyone think?

BANNED

Overuse of Batman's manservants.

Pretty decent/average.

7 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead77 View Post
    I’ve always enjoyed his work, or at least found it serviceable, and the art looks spectacular. What does everyone think?
    With what little I've read of his, artwork has generally looked good. Tynion as a writer, however, normally leaves me wanting less.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think Joker War, the clownhunter annual and the most recent issue have been a highlight of his run so far and everything else has been average to mediocore. Regardless of what was going on behind the scenes, the run did have a rough start but I'm very excited for the future of his run if issue 106 is any indication.

I will say Jorge Jimenez is my favorite part, that’s not a knock against Tynion just that Jimenez’s art sells the book.

As for Tynion’s work on the series, I’ve actually taken a bit of a recent turn. Because I don’t like Joker war, it was too close to city of bane and honestly it wasn’t really anything I hadn’t seen before in something like Snyder’s endgame not to mention it came out around three jokers so dc tried to sell “two of the biggest dc joker stories” (that said I do like three jokers). And I didn’t care for the ghost stories arc initially.

However, I’ve found infinite frontier to be exactly what I want from Batman books. The Batfamily is all together, Barbara is Oracle but can still suit up, Cassandra and Steph are both Batgirls, Nightwings back, and Ghost maker as an ally is a lot more fun. So I guess you can say I actually like it now that we got through his initial status quo set up.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It’s been fine, solid Batman voice, lots of new ideas while still using classic stuff like Oracle and Scarecrow, but Jimenez’s art is definitely helping to prop it up.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It gets better the further he gets away from editorial mandates.

Prelude to the Joker's War = Excellent
    Joker's War = Okay
    Ghostmaker = Abysmal; title dropped

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm more interested in Detective Comics since he's building his Batcave in the sewers manually and there's a look on his neighbors and relationship with fellow rich people.

I know Tynion's going for the overall look of the plot for The Magistrate, but he also wanted Bruce to be less of a billionaire, and right now that look into his new personal life, the interesting part for me, because that's the big change, is handled by Tamaki.

Those personal things should be in Batman, or ideally more balanced between the personal and the plot. Right now all the personal stuffs is in DC while the plot is in Batman. It's weird, and also against my policy of having to buy two series starring the same character. At this point my choice is Detective. It doesn't help I have zero interest on The Magistrate.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-28-2021 at 04:07 AM.

BANNED

Tynion has a funny idea that Batmobile is like a normal vehicle that could be repaired easily by one man with tools from a car garage. Not a vehicle that is made of bulletproof materials and has many high tech equiqed inside of it - the kind of tech that need to be worked on in certain infrastructure and by people who specialize in certain fields. I think i am gonna start reading from issue 86 to issue 106 just to have a better review of the whole run.

Telltale games have an interesting take on Bruce & Batman is that Bruce is the one that helps the city more with his wealth but Batman is the one that can do the things that Bruce cant do. Defunding Batman does not make him a more interesting character.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-30-2021 at 04:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not thrilled about the "Bruce has Lost his money and company again" part, I think it has been decent sofar.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Tynion has a funny idea that Batmobile is like a normal vehicle that could be repaired easily by one man with tools from a car garage. Not a vehicle that is made of bulletproof materials and has many high tech equiqed inside of it - the kind of tech that need to be worked on in certain infrastructure and by people who specialize in certain fields.
    Bruce can build his own vehicles so the engineering part is not a problem. The material, and the specific tech is harder. It could work if it's low tech, or at least the tech of current regular cars, but no magic sci-fi bullshit car. No cloaking device, automated armor that can be opened or closed, stuff that require a billionaire's company.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Tynion has a funny idea that Batmobile is like a normal vehicle that could be repaired easily by one man with tools from a car garage. Not a vehicle that is made of bulletproof materials and has many high tech equiqed inside of it - the kind of tech that need to be worked on in certain infrastructure and by people who specialize in certain fields.
    Wouldn't it make more sense for this to be the case? Bruce can't exactly hire out that kind of work, so it would make sense for it to be easy for one person to work on, even if the tools are custom.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I just assumed the batmobile was different depending on the type of batmobile. The ones that are more car like I assume he just can work on himself but the more tank like it gets the more he really has to outsource to some one like Lucius, or Mr. terrific or Hiro/Toyman.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.