Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Not a fan. Tynion seems to be more focused on his OC's while using Harley's popularity to keep his Batman run selling decently [Batman always sells regardless so he's on a win-win.

Heard Ghost-Maker is now getting a CW show. Tynion should be very happy since he's a very strong and vocal Correct Royalty for creators advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Not a fan. Tynion seems to be more focused on his OC's while using Harley's popularity to keep his Batman run selling decently [Batman always sells regardless so he's on a win-win.

Heard Ghost-Maker is now getting a CW show. Tynion should be very happy since he's a very strong and vocal Correct Royalty for creators advocate.
    I don't mind a Ghostmaker show but I rather it be set in Singapore than Gotham. Which feels unlikely outside of another animated series like Vixen or Deathstroke.

EDIT- https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/ex...series-the-cw/

In case people are curious.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-10-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I dropped it after the end of Joker War as I felt over all the book was all over the place (and I skipped all the Gotham Future State stuff), but got back on the last two issues and I think the monthly pacing helps a lot. I enjoy the new characters, Batman has been around for decades, we all know who he is and what he does, and getting to see these new characters as a way to update his story rather than pages and pages of essay style narration is a big improvement although that might just be the old reader in me who is used to comics being done this way.

Someone compared it to manga, and I think that is fair and I think that is a pro not a con.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I dropped it after the end of Joker War as I felt over all the book was all over the place (and I skipped all the Gotham Future State stuff), but got back on the last two issues and I think the monthly pacing helps a lot. I enjoy the new characters, Batman has been around for decades, we all know who he is and what he does, and getting to see these new characters as a way to update his story rather than pages and pages of essay style narration is a big improvement although that might just be the old reader in me who is used to comics being done this way.

Someone compared it to manga, and I think that is fair and I think that is a pro not a con.

I dropped the book for the first time since like 2005. It's bad. Everything hes doing has been done. The manga is absolutely a con. I will buy the hardcovers as I buy all detective and main series hardcovers post crisis. To be fair I'm dropping all floppies as I see the writing on the wall.

My only option is to speak with my wallet so I'll do that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Batman never needs Harley to sell. Its Harley whose books are being propped up more due to her being in Gotham. They did the same thing with Catwoman prior to the wedding to launch her solo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I dropped the book for the first time since like 2005. It's bad. Everything hes doing has been done. The manga is absolutely a con. I will buy the hardcovers as I buy all detective and main series hardcovers post crisis. To be fair I'm dropping all floppies as I see the writing on the wall.

I like the art, so there is that, but I don't blame you for dropping floppies. I wish I had the willpower to do that too. But since I can't help but buy monthly books there are a lot way worse books out there, and I rather someone tell something 'unoriginal' but for a new generation of readers rather than retcon something done by a much better writer as seems to happen in too many other 'hot' books.

As I said though, if the art doesn't do it for me, I probably am not staying for the writing either.

I've got a feeling he may not have read Infinite Frontier #0?

I had read IF #0 and had no idea they were referring to incidents in that issue as "A-Day" (a stupid label anyway), but at least part of it was shown in Infinite Frontier #0.

BANNED

Glad that im not alone. People say they enjoy new characters but do we need them?

Look at the characters that Tynion is trying to flesh out

Punchline - Harley. Now Punchline should just be Joker's henchwoman and thats it. Making Punchline like this social media influencer is just ridiculous. Society Girl. There are other Batman characters that work better as someone having a large online following like Anarky. Also the funny thing is that even when Tynion makes Punchline and Joker a thing, DC still makes money out of retelling Harley's origins.

Ghost-maker - Batman. Why do we need another ally when Batfam is already overcrowded? Ghost-maker's crime fighting motive is not better than Batman's. Treating crime fighting as an art instead of a duty. Whats bad about Ghost-maker is that he doesnt even have the conviction of his lethal crime fighting methods. If you believe your crime fighting methods to be the most effecient, you dont just let your old friend dictate on how you shoud adhere to their no kill code. In Gotham, you wont kill criminals but outside of Gotham you will kill them. If a criminal boards a train to travel from Gotham to Metropolis, Ghost-maker would kill that criminal when the train is not in Gotham anymore lol. So if Ghost-maker wants to kill, he just needs to lure his targets to go outside of Gotham. When Ghost-maker finally leaves Gotham and goes on to kill other criminals outside of Gotham, Batman should just let the guy spread the pain of loss to other people?

Clownhunter - Red Hood. Both want to kill clowns. Red Hood at least has more personal connection to Batman and actually was murdered by a clown.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-15-2021 at 01:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Is he though? Looking at all the reviews for that issue, he's the only person giving it a negative score https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b...man-(2016)/107

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Is he though? Looking at all the reviews for that issue, he's the only person giving it a negative score https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b...man-(2016)/107
    A valid point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yeah he is. Once you see the exposition you can't unsee it. Sure infinite frontier did explain " a day" but the rest of his review is spot on

The unfortunate thing about that plan is that the only people who will notice is the comic book shop you buy the issues from, since you yourself aren't buying from DC directly. And if you buy the collected edition vs. the individual issues, that's still sort of supporting Tynion as a writer.

The only thing that DC would notice is if there's a massive drop in orders from comic book shops for Tynion's Batman or if there's massive social media backlash.

All-New Member

And for what it's worth, he spends a good portion of his review complaining that A-Day is never seen on-panel. It got plenty of page time... in Infinite Frontier #0.

Whether that was the right call from editorial's perspective is its own matter, but the reviewer didn't do his due diligence or issue a correction after multiple commenters called him out for the inaccuracy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    And for what it's worth, he spends a good portion of his review complaining that A-Day is never seen on-panel. It got plenty of page time... in Infinite Frontier #0.

Whether that was the right call from editorial's perspective is its own matter, but the reviewer didn't do his due diligence or issue a correction after multiple commenters called him out for the inaccuracy.
    I read IF #0 and it took me a minute to realize A-day was referring to that event. Arkham, Asylum, Amazing... still did not catch what A stood for, and even reading Suicide Squad which takes place during those events, I still can't be sure what exactly happened or what the fallout is. But, that has zero impact on being able to read the rest of the Batman story. It is annoying but just how pretty much all modern comics just refer to stuff without helping the reader out.