Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Batwoman TV Series has Recast Kate Kane

WTF!? >_<

https://deadline.com/2021/03/batwoma...cw-1234718851/

Whatever, I don't even follow the Arrowverse anymore, but considering Wallis Day was the popular fan-recast for Kate it looks like they are just looking for a boost in ratings.
    Are they trying to have things both ways - the fan choice for Kate whilst having their own OC Batwoman (Ryan).

The whole thing just looks like they have no idea what they want to do or how to handle it. Back when they changed the lead they said they wouldn't recast Kate Kane out of "respect" for Ruby Rose's work. It'd take a while to find the old interviews, but I remember that being stated clearly at the time.

Personally, I'm not going to start watching to see an injured new-Kate be a side-character. But since the weirdness around the show is IMHO far more entertaining than the actual show itself - I'll be on the lookout to see what production dramas happen next.

Production Dramas so far:

• Backlash to original Kate casting "not gay enough"
    • Backlash to Trailer "when it fits a woman", though this line never made it into the actual show
    • Original lead develops spinal injury during pilot, has major surgery (the actress posted the videos of the actual surgery on youtube for those interested). Also apparently she was pressured to work only 10 days after the surgery, when apparently people usually have a few months to recover (it was in one of the video interviews where she talks about it)
    • Original lead has allergic reaction to cowl
    • Production Assistant has part of set collapse onto her, becomes paraplegic (which is horrendous)
    • Original lead quits
    • Fans do a fan-cast of Wallis Day as new lead
    • New OC Batwoman announced + subsequent backlash
    • New/remaining fans become comfortable with new lead
    • Wallis Day cast as new-Kate Kane, Ryan to stay as Batwoman
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 03-27-2021 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some things

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I saw the news but didn't read it

" At the end of tonight’s episode, the audience discovers that Kate Kane is alive but unrecognizable due to injuries she sustained in the crash. She is bandaged and being held hostage. "

are you kidding this is the plot of a cheap serial melodrama. Old actor replaced by new actor by plastic surgery.

Not that the Bat fam isn't melodrama but come on

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    are you kidding this is the plot of a cheap serial melodrama. Old actor replaced by new actor by plastic surgery.

Not that the Bat fam isn't melodrama but come on
    Yeah, very cheesy.

Also, seems new-Kate might be a series regular rather than a one-off. Maybe they are trying to do a Batman-Beyond sort of thing. Which is weird because Bruce in BB is a veteran, whilst Kate when she disappeared was still a rookie. Also, not important, but isn't Wallis something like 8 years younger than Ruby - so Kate also got younger, but since they all look so young I guess you probably couldn't tell regardless.

WallisDayKateKane.jpg
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 03-27-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Correction, it was 8 not 7

In short; how NOT to handle a series when the original lead leaves the show.

Didn't know she was hurt that badly. That is horrible.
    It's a wonder Ruby Rose said she would come back if asked before they announced the new Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    it looks like they are just looking for a boost in ratings.
    Definitely not, because live ratings aren't a priority for the CW; streaming is more important to them. This episode was also going into production in November of last year, and would have been filmed around the time this season debuted, so even if they did care, they could not have included this for that reason. There just wasn't time.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    It's a wonder Ruby Rose said she would come back if asked before they announced the new Kate.
    It's almost certain she knew of the recasting at that point, but of course couldn't say anything, so that was actually a good answer.
    Last edited by Caivu; 03-28-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Arrow

This move smacks of desperation to me.

And in regards to the OP -

The production has indeed been a hot mess since the very start which is why in part I dropped Batwoman post-season two first episode. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-28-2021 at 08:32 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This move smacks of desperation to me.
    How? Desperation in what sense? I already explained how it's impossible it was due to some concern about ratings.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    How? Desperation in what sense? I already explained how it's impossible it was due to some concern about ratings.
    Sorry, but I don't buy that. I know TV shows do reshoots and last minutes additions they later edit in all the time. I also suspect if such was the case they would cover it up here to save face after being so adamant Kate would not return. But hey, I could be wrong in this case and so could you. The fact is we don't know what is happening behind the scenes. My gut tells me, based upon several factors (declining ratings, negative feedback from fans & critics about the Kate issue, lack of audience interest compared to last season), things are not rosy.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-28-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Ratings wouldn’t be likely to impact it as much as, say, finding its numbers even on streaming (which are still usually more confidential than not) are below what it’s “should” draw - which, I’m guessing, would be something around Supergirl’s drawing power, at least.

And while I wouldn’t say “desperate”, form what I’ve observed I would think that “dissatisfied with the current status quo of reception” would lead to stuff like this.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I don't watch this show but I recall one of the producers saying they didn't want to do the 'bury your gays' trope. This meant that ethey were either going to bring back Ruby Rose or they were going to recast. We just found out what they went with.
    Last edited by John Venus; 03-28-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy that. I know TV shows do reshoots and last minutes additions they later edit in all the time.
    That's not what this was, though. They filmed the exterior shot of the sewer on January 20th, three days after the season 2 premiere. Kate's appearance in last episode was clearly already a part of it from the beginning.

That's not what this was, though. They filmed the exterior shot of the sewer on January 20th, three days after the season 2 premiere. Kate's appearance in last episode was clearly already a part of it from the beginning.
    I'm skeptical it was "part of the plan", not that it matters to me either way. I'm done with the show unless Kate becomes the one and only Batwoman once more, this is the only thing that will bring me back as a viewer.

Edit

Here is an interesting read. It explains why I contend this was not the original plan -

“To be honest with you, I did consider the ‘soap opera version’ [of recasting] for a hot minute, because selfishly we already had a couple episodes written, and transition-wise it would be seamless,” she told Plec. “But upon further reflection — and I think [Arrowverse EP] Greg [Berlanti] helped me make this call — he’s like, ‘I think we should just reboot Batwoman as a different character.'”

In addition to paying “respect to everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character” during Season 1, Dries said, “it also helps the audience, because we’re not asking them to address ‘the elephant in the room'” by accepting a new face as the same person."

What a load of ****.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/06/why-ba...cter-season-2/
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-28-2021 at 02:42 PM.

If you're saying that the original plan to handle the recasting was to have Kate disappear and then bring her back mid-season, with a fill-in character in the interim, then no, of course that wasn't the case. But it is clear that, once the Ryan direction was set, they had always intended to still bring Kate back. They had to have, since they'd been working on last week's episode since November.

If you're saying that the original plan to handle the recasting was to have Kate disappear and then bring her back mid-season, with a fill-in character in the interim, then no, of course that wasn't the case. But it is clear that, once the Ryan direction was set, they had always intended to still bring Kate back. They had to have, since they'd been working on last week's episode since November.
    Then what was said in interviews was a lie, once again, not that I care either way. But I will say, I doubt it otherwise they wouldn't have created Ryan speaking of which -

IMO, what it boils down to is that Ryan should not exist her character isn't needed and soured me on the show. The first half of this season could have been the search for Kate without a phony Batwoman stand-in. If, of course, bringing Kate back was the plan all along which I doubt.