Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lady Baltimore-The Witch Queens

10 years after the death of Lord Baltimore, Sofia has taken up the sword and continues the fight. Should be good, it's not. The story is okay as far as it goes, a set up for the series and character. But it is so pedestrian and the art so lackluster it doesn't live up to it's predecessor. I very much liked the Lord Baltimore books, so I was looking forward to this, but it doesn't offer the magic we expect from the Mignolaverse. The story feels very "been there done that", takes place in 1938 at the onset of WWII, but it could easily be 1928, nothing feels like the brink of a global war. I suppose Nazis will show up at some point. And the art, these book once boasted some outstanding art, even not including Mignola himself, they showcased artists that were a joy to look at. The art here by Bridgit Connell is serviceable at best. It tells the story, but that is it, faces and figures are awkward at times and the panels are uninspired. You don't stop to enjoy the art at anytime.
    The post Hell on Earth Mignolaverse has been disappointing for me, I hope they right the ship, and for God's sake, can they find better artists again!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    10 years after the death of Lord Baltimore, Sofia has taken up the sword and continues the fight. Should be good, it's not. The story is okay as far as it goes, a set up for the series and character. But it is so pedestrian and the art so lackluster it doesn't live up to it's predecessor. I very much liked the Lord Baltimore books, so I was looking forward to this, but it doesn't offer the magic we expect from the Mignolaverse. The story feels very "been there done that", takes place in 1938 at the onset of WWII, but it could easily be 1928, nothing feels like the brink of a global war. I suppose Nazis will show up at some point. And the art, these book once boasted some outstanding art, even not including Mignola himself, they showcased artists that were a joy to look at. The art here by Bridgit Connell is serviceable at best. It tells the story, but that is it, faces and figures are awkward at times and the panels are uninspired. You don't stop to enjoy the art at anytime.
    The post Hell on Earth Mignolaverse has been disappointing for me, I hope they right the ship, and for God's sake, can they find better artists again!
    Yeah, this was a miss for me too...it was just so flat both in plotting and art.

If Mignola doesn't want his comic verse to become a crap fest, they need to get better artists or he has to at least do layouts.

Well I hope Young Hellboy is fun this week.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-29-2021 at 06:24 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I hope the art is not as bad as witchfinder gates of heaven. That looked like a Saturday morning cartoon

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I hope the art is not as bad as witchfinder gates of heaven. That looked like a Saturday morning cartoon
    While that wasn't my favorite Witchfinder book,D'Israeli's art wasn't high on my list of issues I had.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    While that wasn't my favorite Witchfinder book,D'Israeli's art wasn't high on my list of issues I had.
    True and I m glad the book got better with Reign of Darkness. I ll tradewait Lady Baltimore but what I really want is my copy of Crimson Lotus. Arcudi hasn't disappointed me so far

True and I m glad the book got better with Reign of Darkness. I ll tradewait Lady Baltimore but what I really want is my copy of Crimson Lotus. Arcudi hasn't disappointed me so far
    I really wish Mignola hadn't enabled Allie, Arcudi was always the better writer and I miss seeing him on the Hellboy books.

Are you all reading Arcudi's Two Moons from Image. Issue #2 came out this week.

Didn't that already get released as a tpb collection?

Yeah, I'd read anything he put out but Two Moons is especially amazing. The characters, the mood, the dialogue...everything is just absolutely perfect.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-02-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Already pre-ordered the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I really wish Mignola hadn't enabled Allie, Arcudi was always the better writer and I miss seeing him on the Hellboy books.
    True *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Didn't that already get released as a tpb collection?
    Yes but I'm on a budget and have a long list of to-buys.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-04-2021 at 12:32 AM.

double post

Issue #2. The story is getting interesting, and I like the character interchange. But man, the art is just so weak. What happen to the stellar art we came to expect on Mignolaverse books. I paged through Cojacaru, and though it is better than this, the art still doesn't come close to Davis, Fregredo, Tonic, etc...

Issue #2. The story is getting interesting, and I like the character interchange. But man, the art is just so weak. What happen to the stellar art we came to expect on Mignolaverse books. I paged through Cojacaru, and though it is better than this, the art still doesn't come close to Davis, Fregredo, Tonic, etc...
    Peter Bergting who is on "Cojacaru the Skinner" did art on a large portion (18 issues) of the Baltimore series, including the final three story arcs. There shouldn't be much of an adjustment there.

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    Peter Bergting who is on "Cojacaru the Skinner" did art on a large portion (18 issues) of the Baltimore series, including the final three story arcs. There shouldn't be much of an adjustment there.
    Okay. I liked his work on Balitimore. I probably need to look closer when I read it. But this doesn't negate the artwork on Lady Baltimore or some of the other recent Mignola books.