10 years after the death of Lord Baltimore, Sofia has taken up the sword and continues the fight. Should be good, it's not. The story is okay as far as it goes, a set up for the series and character. But it is so pedestrian and the art so lackluster it doesn't live up to it's predecessor. I very much liked the Lord Baltimore books, so I was looking forward to this, but it doesn't offer the magic we expect from the Mignolaverse. The story feels very "been there done that", takes place in 1938 at the onset of WWII, but it could easily be 1928, nothing feels like the brink of a global war. I suppose Nazis will show up at some point. And the art, these book once boasted some outstanding art, even not including Mignola himself, they showcased artists that were a joy to look at. The art here by Bridgit Connell is serviceable at best. It tells the story, but that is it, faces and figures are awkward at times and the panels are uninspired. You don't stop to enjoy the art at anytime.
The post Hell on Earth Mignolaverse has been disappointing for me, I hope they right the ship, and for God's sake, can they find better artists again!