Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve's religon

I'm not American. But I am aware that most Americans are Christians but I also know there are people who practice other faiths in the US. Hence why I said 'most likely'.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Is religion a big part of Diana? Not originally, that was something that Pérez introduced. And Diana's relation to her Patrons and her approach to spirituality or religion should be extremely dissimilar to how we think of it in modern society. (In fact, I think the only Wonder Woman writer who have managed to get the Greek gods "right", as in getting something that fits actual polytheism, is G Willow Wilson. Rucka had the right ideas on an intellectual level, but never managed to turn it into actual reality on the written page.)

Anyway, I see no real reason why Steve should be particularly religious. He might be a member of a church, but I see no reason why it should be turned into an important part of his character.
    I agree with this assessment. I actually would very much dislike him to suddenly become religious. Worse if it's retconned into his pas and all the sudden we start hearing about all these issues with his faith when he originally met Diana that never happened in any of the early stories recounting it. I'm also really not into religious issues, even for Diana. A very few characters should have religion very important to them, IMO. And I really dislike something that important, that would have shaped a characters actions that much, retconned in so many decades later. Big retcons have always been a issue to me, though, and I admit they are simply part of comic books.

Also, the US is getting less religious over time. Right now, at least - another Great Awakening could theoretically happen as in the past, and/or church attendance/membership could trend upwards as it did throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries. But that's not the prevailing trend in the United States right now, so may not be the best tactic for a reworking to appeal to younger readers.

Also, seriously, with WW as the main character, what are the chances someone wouldn't decide to write Steve as a religious bigot - that's something I don't need to see.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-30-2021 at 04:40 AM.

I mean in Marston's the gods still talked to her and helped her. So it's still apart of her

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Why not Jewish, or even agnostic? If he is Christian why not make him Catholic?
    I mean it depends on where he is from. Because there are Protestant and Catholics that are the two biggest sub parts of Christianity.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The company that publishes them is, although they're not white like the majority of Americans and they're not even from the area. Christianity is the largest religion in America but that's no real reason for Steve to automatically be one. He has no qualms dating a pagan princess purported to be the daughter of a deity but some Christians would.
    No one is saying that he is or should be.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm kidding. Since he's a white American, he's most likely Christian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Because Christianity makes up the largest percentage in the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    No one is saying that he is or should be.
    No, you're saying "most likely" which means probably because of percentages, I get that part. I don't disagree, I'm only countering with Catholicism, Judaism and agnostics as future possibilities for story fodder that are a little further beyond the basic. It would be cool if he were Wiccan as far as I'm concerned.

Picture it, Circe finds out she knew Steve's father a high level witch using white magic in his role as United States General Rockwell Trevor. Circe seduces and taints him, making him a soldier in her dark war. He resists, rebels and dies in battle, or does he? But not before charming his son's life with a powerful spell of protection, which eventually leads him to Wonder Woman. It explains Steve's innate power for rebirth and renewal and how he miraculously stays intact in his many dangerous adventures.

So far Every single Wonder family expect Hippolyta and Artemis( but I think she has Earth 3, Wonder Woman's lasso) Have a lasso. Now I don't want it to be a lasso but what would Steve's version be?

That's actually something I dislike. I don't mind Yara having a variation like the bolas, but a straight up lasso just doesn't vibe with me. Each one shoukd have their own unique utensil and Artemis should be the only one with conventional weapons if the writers lack creativity.

Ans to be clear, I don't consider a lasso with differenr powers to be good enough of a change. A lasso made of lightning still works like Diana's lasso of truth. The point is that each character should move in their own unique way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Ans to be clear, I don't consider a lasso with differenr powers to be good enough of a change. A lasso made of lightning still works like Diana's lasso of truth. The point is that each character should move in their own unique way.
    I disagree, Lanterns don't move in their own unique way, they all use rings. Neither do members of the Bat-Family, R-shurikens, Wingdings and Batarangs are very similar throwing weapons, and they all use grappling lines and most have utility belts. As long as the lasso's colors, materials and most importantly functions are different, I think every member of the Wonder Woman Family should have one.