Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nightshade (Eve Eden) Appreciation 2021

Originally from Charlton Comics,

Captain Atom #82 (September 1966)

and then first appeared in the DC Universe during Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Were Nightshade's light weapons based on Phantom Lady? Both are even daughters of US senators.

Maybe inspired by her.

Conceptually she is much closer to Jennifer Connelly's character in 'The Labyrinth' despite having been created long before the movie was made. "Older sister has to rescue younger brother who has been kidnapped by the lord of a fairy tale like dimension'.

nightshade-03.jpg

nightshade-04.jpg

nightshade-05.jpg

Astonishing Member

She was such a great character in Ostrander's Suicide Squad. A shame she hasn't really been used well since. I wish they had included her in one of the films!

A great character. I've always quite liked Nightshade. I hope to see her used by writers at some point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    She was such a great character in Ostrander's Suicide Squad. A shame she hasn't really been used well since. I wish they had included her in one of the films!
    Why and how did Nightshade became a part of the Squad?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    They kind of incorporated her story with the Enchantress plot of Ayers "Suicide Squad" but just stuck to keeping there Succubus as part of June Moon instead of having it split between Nightshade and Enchantress. They even had Enchantress move through shadows in a way that Nightshade would have. Its a shame they didn't do a slow build to Enchantress as a big bad as in the books, it would have made for a much more sophisticated tale-which is damning with faint praise considering the hack job that done cutting up that movie anyway.

Of the most recent uses of Eve Eden, I think I much preferred the take on her in Multiversity rather than her brief appearance in the Witching Hour. But neither compare to the awesomeness of Ostrander's Nightshade.

The modern take on the main universe Nightshade costume is a bit on the generic and boob-tacular side too.. but at least they maintained her badassery...
    (ref. Deathstroke vol 4 #33 art by Ed Benes)

Last edited by Thirteen; 04-06-2021 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Why and how did Nightshade became a part of the Squad?
    Eve joined the squad off-panel before the original series began. She one of the members of the team that is "good"/a government operative but joined Task Force X in order to leverage Amanda Waller into taking on a mission on her behalf. Or rather Amanda Waller leveraged HER onto the team with the promise that the Squad would help her rescue her brother from the Land of Nightshades. The eventually do in "Nightshade Odyssey".

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    They kind of incorporated her story with the Enchantress plot of Ayers "Suicide Squad" but just stuck to keeping there Succubus as part of June Moon instead of having it split between Nightshade and Enchantress. They even had Enchantress move through shadows in a way that Nightshade would have. Its a shame they didn't do a slow build to Enchantress as a big bad as in the books, it would have made for a much more sophisticated tale-which is damning with faint praise considering the hack job that done cutting up that movie anyway.

Of the most recent uses of Eve Eden, I think I much preferred the take on her in Multiversity rather than her brief appearance in the Witching Hour. But neither compare to the awesomeness of Ostrander's Nightshade.

The modern take on the main universe Nightshade costume is a bit on the generic and boob-tacular side too.. but at least they maintained her badassery...
    (ref. Deathstroke vol 4 #33 art by Ed Benes)

Yeah someone told me Eve had appeared in Deathstroke and it was awesome. The costume was very generic but Priest kept her continuity in check.

The unfortunate L.A.W. miniseries incarnation of Nightshade is acknowledged in the 2nd issue of the new volume of SUICIDE SQUAD via Peacemaker's flashback.

Last edited by Thirteen; 04-06-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

It's fun when every once in a while, they have an old Charlton character team-up, so...
    I wonder what it would be like if Beetle and Nightshade were a couple.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Eve joined the squad off-panel before the original series began. She one of the members of the team that is "good"/a government operative but joined Task Force X in order to leverage Amanda Waller into taking on a mission on her behalf. Or rather Amanda Waller leveraged HER onto the team with the promise that the Squad would help her rescue her brother from the Land of Nightshades. The eventually do in "Nightshade Odyssey".
    ...and I would say Nightshade Odyssey inspired the SS movie, except they didn't use Nightshade in it.

Nightshade's Dad is a US Senator and presumably she had some sort of government contacts because of it. She is basically the DCU's best stealth operative, so if she's not a Justice League member, it makes sense she's in government.

(LAW Nightshade was probably the worst version of the character)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    ...and I would say Nightshade Odyssey inspired the SS movie, except they didn't use Nightshade in it.

Nightshade's Dad is a US Senator and presumably she had some sort of government contacts because of it. She is basically the DCU's best stealth operative, so if she's not a Justice League member, it makes sense she's in government.

(LAW Nightshade was probably the worst version of the character)
    She sounds underutilized. Really underutilized.