Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Modern comics are not so bad, Heck some are pretty damn good!

So those who read my posts know that I love two eras of comics. Golden Age Dc and Silver Age marvel. in fact I said I was going to read comics in order from those dates. But I love those eras so much that after I get 5 or 6 years in I keep starting over so it never seems to work out. So I decided to read some more modern stuff this year. I have read a few newer stuff in the past and enjoyed them that is what brought this on.

I have loved Superior Spiderman (The first series) and Ms marvel. in fact I love Ms Marvel and her comics so much she is my new favorite hero. I am reading Marvel comics from 2013 and 2014 like Captain America, Avengers, Spiderman, Thor, and Fantastic Four (Read or at least on my read List.) I am also reading a lot of The Ultimate line which I always enjoyed (Other then The Fantastic Four) I am also reading the New Xmen stuff on Karoka. it is very much enjoyable expect the issue I saw Kurt questioning his faith because of Karoka. Kurt's faith has always been a huge part of his character and it has always been so strong that it bothers me to see him have doubts. I have also read a few other titles over the last 7 or 8 months.

On the Dc Side I am reading some Silver age, I have read Flashpoint and a lot of the minis for the Flashpoint series, and I am reading The New 52 (Which I really enjoy)

I really dont know why I put off reading the Newer more modern stuff. Some of it is great and I am really enjoying it.

So my question is has anyone had their taste in comics change over the years? Are you reading stuff you used to not read for whatever reason? or have you dropped things that you used to love? If so why?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I used light-hearted slice of life comics boring but I like them more now. I like Ms Marvel.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Fantastic Member

I'm having the opposite reaction at least with regards to "superhero" comics. I'm disliking modern superhero comics more and more and preferring golden-age/silver-age. I do really like Ms. Marvel and a few others though.

What I don't like about modern superhero comics is they really up the violence and the vileness of the villains, but the heroes can never kill them. To me there's something really distasteful about this. We'll have characters that repeatedly rape, torture and murder, but they have to keep going to their "asylum" then escaping over and over. And attempts to make the reader empathize with the villain make this worse for me.

I preferred the campiness of golden-age/silver-age superhero comics. I can go with the no-kill policy if the villains are campy/goofy.

I do like a lot of non-superhero modern comics though (with limited runs... and a real end to the story).
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 03-28-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Ultimate Member

I like modern comics because older ones tend to be too verbose and campy, with fewer overarching storylines. I also like the increased diversity and awareness.

I'm not too into excessive violence, and some older characters have been mischaracterized recently

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    I preferred the campiness of golden-age/silver-age superhero comics. I can go with the no-kill policy if the villains are campy/goofy.
    See I still do prefer the old camp of Silver Age Dc more then Modern Dc I will say. I am not a big fan of Modern Batman But Silver Age Batman who views the Metal Men as crime fighting equals and lets Gordan order him to take a vacation. I get a thrill out of that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    I'm having the opposite reaction at least with regards to "superhero" comics. I'm disliking modern superhero comics more and more and preferring golden-age/silver-age. I do really like Ms. Marvel and a few others though.

What I don't like about modern superhero comics is they really up the violence and the vileness of the villains, but the heroes can never kill them. To me there's something really distasteful about this. We'll have characters that repeatedly rape, torture and murder, but they have to keep going to their "asylum" then escaping over and over. And attempts to make the reader empathize with the villain make this worse for me.

I do like a lot of non-superhero modern comics though (with limited runs... and a real end to the story).
    Golden Age comics aren't campy. The heroes didn't have the no-kill policy in those old days. For example, in his first story, Batman let a thug fall into a vat of acid and comments "that it was the end he deserved."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Golden Age comics aren't campy. The heroes didn't have the no-kill policy in those old days. For example, in his first story, Batman let a thug fall into a vat of acid and comments "that it was the end he deserved."
    Ah ok. I haven't read enough Golden Age... the stuff I've read on MU (Captain America, Submariner) does feel campy to me, but not as much as Silver Age.

So why didn't golden age Batman kill golden age Joker? They had to use some kind of plot device to keep Joker coming back.

I’m not sure I can read old comics and still be interested. Well, I have aged myself.

But the sheer violence of modern comics for no other reason than shock value is quite disturbing. There’s an arms race here that shows a lack of creativity and inspiration. I don’t think all modern comics are bad but more US writers in the past had something to say. They might have told it clumsily or verbosely but there was a undeniable and moving sincerity.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Golden age comics have more in common with modern comics then they do with Silver Age comics when it comes to violence. Those were the pre comics code days.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I’m not sure I can read old comics and still be interested. Well, I have aged myself.

But the sheer violence of modern comics for no other reason than shock value is quite disturbing. There’s an arms race here that shows a lack of creativity and inspiration. I don’t think all modern comics are bad but more US writers in the past had something to say. They might have told it clumsily or verbosely but there was a undeniable and moving sincerity.
    I think some modern comics are bad because they keep trying to say something profound and meaningful.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I think some modern comics are bad because they keep trying to say something profound and meaningful.
    I don't see why that's a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I like modern comics because older ones tend to be too verbose and campy, with fewer overarching storylines. I also like the increased diversity and awareness.
    I'd put this into a "growing up" category. Our tastes mature as we grow and learn. The comics, media, and stories we prefer reflect that. Not that the old comics were necessarily for kids, or that only kids should enjoy them, but we learn as we live. The more we read, the more we see what's out there and our tastes change and develop accordingly.

As for me, in over 50 years of reading these funny book things, I have always found stuff I have liked and stuff I have not liked. Honestly, I can go back to stuff I loved decades ago and seriously ask what the F I was thinking. Other times I look at it and see so much more that I missed back then. But i will always go with Always good and alays bad.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I don’t like pretentious comics neither, that remain on a intellectuel level without making us feel what they mean. The most interesting authors were people who had an interesting life, not the ones that just find their ideas in others’ works.

I don’t know neither why having something to say would be inherently wrong: why is the point in reading for the umpteenth time the same story without substance?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

There are a lot of very good comics I read right now, but none of them are from Marvel or DC.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are a lot of very good comics I read right now, but none of them are from Marvel or DC.
    What are some good non Marvel and DC ones that you are reading? Right now I have gotten into The Walking Dead, Something is Killing the Children, I have some Department of Truth ones to read but would love some ideas for more.