Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    the irony is the communists weren't any more racist than the capitalists. American racism came from within. So I can see how that let you down.
    It did. It was the same when The Hate Monger was introduced in the FF before that and used his hate ray. It was like saying yes racism is bad but Americans are not racist unless there is some outside force making them so. A huge let down.

At least todays writers will tackle racism. Or pretend to until you realize it is another Xmen metaphor story or an aliens are bad story.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-29-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It did. It was the same when The Hate Monger was introduced in the FF before that and used his hate ray. It was like saying yes racism is bad but Americans are not racist unless there is some outside force making them so. A huge let down.

At least todays writers will tackle racism. Or pretend to until you realize it is another Xmen metaphor story or an aliens are bad story.
    Metaphors and allegories don't work for me tbh. I want the real deal, and I've been getting some of that in recent comics, even if they're not always written as well as they could be.

And frankly the USA passing the buck off on racism speaks to the fragility of the American media, at least at that time. After all, the Nazis were even inspired by American racism, or so I've heard

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree to this. The days where we needed metaphors because stories couldnt be written about racism, gay rights, social justice are long gone. Drop the metaphor and deal with these subjects head on if they are going to include them.
    I just see it as the age-old practice of fantasy worlds taking inspiration from real-world historical.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I just see it as the age-old practice of fantasy worlds taking inspiration from real-world historical.
    I get that, but it's hard to buy a story about racism when the main hero is White, at least for me

I get that, but it's hard to buy a story about racism when the main hero is White, at least for me
    To Kill a Mockingbird.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    To Kill a Mockingbird.
    I meant white people as victims of racism because white audiences can't handle media tackling actual racism. And even then To kill a Mockingbird didn't have an actual Black perspective

I meant white people as victims of racism because white audiences can't handle media tackling actual racism. And even then To kill a Mockingbird didn't have an actual Black perspective
    There are stories dealing with antisemitism or xenophobia with white main characters.

To Kill a Mockingbird.
    I was really disappointed by that book. I was hoping that it had some hunting tips. But all it did was help teach me to respect my fellow man and who needs that?
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-29-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Anything from Brubaker and Phillips. Lazarus by Rucka and Lark. Some of the Mignola (Hellboy) books. Fire Power and Oblivion Song by Kirkman. I like the Mark Millar books from Image.
    Thanks for the list. I will start looking at these and see what if any my friend has to raid his collection

One indy I really loved was The Sixth Gun.

Has any one heard any thing on Southern bastards, Gideon Falls or Moonshine? Because my friend has those and I can get a hold of them easy lol. Every time I ask him if a book is good he just says "Read the book im not a press agent."
    I also have a crap ton of Spawn from my uncle. Are they as good as everyone says?
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-29-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    There are stories dealing with antisemitism or xenophobia with white main characters.
    I get that. What I'm trying to say is replacing the actual marginalized group with a majority stand in isn't good enough anymore if ever

After all, the Nazis were even inspired by American racism, or so I've heard
    Europe did not need any lessons from America when it comes to being bigots. The Germans had a history of antisemitism from before Columbus sailed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I see what you are saying.

Europe did not need any lessons from America when it comes to being bigots. The Germans had a history of antisemitism from before Columbus sailed.
    *Merchant of Venice has entered the thread*

Ultimate Member

No but Nazis were inspired by American segregation and colonialism as well as Canadian and American eugenics

Ultimate Member

I see what you are saying.
    Ok. I feel like I didn't explain myself well in my earlier posts