Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which of Higgins' aborted status quo's was the best?

To start, I would like to say that I enjoyed Higgins' run overall. Certainly there were weaknesses to his run, but that is not the point of this thread. His strengths were evident in my opinion and he really captured the characters voice perfectly. He also set up several interesting status quo's for the character that were abandoned in turn. I think that each of them had potential.

First, we had Dick in old Gotham.

Next we had him Traveling with the Circus.

Then we had Rebuilding Amusement Mile.

And finally, we had the world building in Chicago

Personally, I have to say that I miss the Amusement Mile angle most of all. That seemed to fit his character perfectly. It could have given him his own Burrough of Gotham, so to speak, that could reflect him the same way Gotham at large reflects Bruce. It would have been a great "home base," from which to launch Dick on globe trotting adventures.

BANNED

I liked the Chicago stuff. Gave Dick some distance, let him try to be his own man.

Hmm im partial to Chicago, and thats where the title was arguably at its best, but i think rebuilding Amusement Mile, and making that sort of Dick's Hell's Kitchen, would have probably in the long run been the best way too go.
    Dick is never going to be too far from Gotham, he always gets pulled back, and i don't see that changing. So at least with Amusement Mile he can be involve in all the Gotham drama he gets pulled into, but at still have a small piece in Gotham that could have been his own. And that way it wouldn't seem like he's being pulled away from somewhere else then.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-04-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I have to agree with Amusement Mile. That one had some great potential in setting Dick up in his own section but not completely removing him from Gotham. It's a real shame we never got to see more of that.

Amusement Mile could have been real fun.

The Traveling Circus had the best potential for a great status quo
    the sad part is that I think Higins never went šall the way inš with the circus idea

Maybe is just my own ideas into this concept but I thought that as Circus was rolling to new places then new people, and attractions could join the circus as for example
    this guys

BANNED

I liked that some aspects of Dick's ancestry were examined, and wish Higgins' ideas for that hadn't been shot down along with all his other ideas.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I liked the move to Chicago myself and the things that Higgins wanted to do there sounded appealing to me. It looked like it was going to developed into something interesting with the sorts of rogues I wanted to see and a supporting cast that could have been interesting. My second vote would be for Amusement Mile. While that would not have gotten Dick away from Gotham it would have been fun to see him managing the circus by day and doing Nightwing work at night. The circus folk were also pretty interesting as supporting cast. I could see some interesting stories coming out of that.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Hmm im partial to Chicago, and thats where the title was arguably at its best, but i think rebuilding Amusement Mile, and making that sort of Dick's Hell's Kitchen, would have probably in the long run been the best way too go.
    Dick is never going to be too far from Gotham, he always gets pulled back, and i don't see that changing. So at least with Amusement Mile he can be involve in all the Gotham drama he gets pulled into, but at still have a small piece in Gotham that could have been his own.
    I agree. He's not going to leave Gotham and, somehow, he's become DC's Daredevil. This is probably the best.

Traveling with the Circus, eve though I know it could never be because Batman.

Astonishing Member

Travelling with the circus was unsustainable - even for as long as it went on, it was starting to get implausible that noone would notice Nightwing turning up randomly around the county fitted perfectly with the tour patterns of Haly's Circus.

The book was at its best in Chicago, and had some great plotlines set up, but the concept of Dick setting up in Amusement Mile is the best. At the time, Dick Grayson was basically being positioned as "like Batman, but smaller scale" - and giving him "Not Gotham, but a bit of Gotham" was a way to lean into that, and turn the negative into a bit of a positive in terms of visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Travelling with the circus was unsustainable - even for as long as it went on, it was starting to get implausible that noone would notice Nightwing turning up randomly around the county fitted perfectly with the tour patterns of Haly's Circus.
    Then maybe he should try not operating in bright daylight and make the newspapers. Batman was apparently operating as an urban myth for years for the JL was formed, you'd think Nightwing can stay out of news for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Then maybe he should try not operating in bright daylight and make the newspapers. Batman was apparently operating as an urban myth for years for the JL was formed, you'd think Nightwing can stay out of news for a few months.
    Or... we can assume this is a comic and don't worry about these details.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Never! Worrying about the details is half the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You are at least 30-40 years too late to say that. The comic industry has built itself upon fretting over the small stuff.