Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Like what? The only things I can think of are things he struggled with...like a lot (like the master planner style rubble, and you know you would not be pleased with something like that as it’s not big/heavy enough!) Hell, he didn’t even win his fight with Vulture and just survived it...

I’m wondering what we mean by “strength”, like decimating half the planet when she punches Cheetah or something?
    Like being able to hold off the weight of a collapsing bell tower for a while. Which weights more than 30 tons for sure.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 03-30-2021 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I get why strength is important to people, but for me it's more important that she's shown to be competent in other ways. The agility, dexterity, and skill she displays makes her a lot more fun to watch than flying brick characters. If she can go up against some mythical beasts, I'd love to see it.

I also think WW fans are overreacting a little to WW84 and any missteps in JLSC. You have a competent and beautiful actress inhabiting the role. The character had one great origin movie, several memorable and impressive scenes in two shared universe movies, and her sequel wasn't so bad that the third movie can't happen. Given how rocky and uncertain the DCEU is and how long Wonder Woman went without a big-screen presence, I'd say there's more to be grateful for. I'm sure they're going to try and please the fans with the third movie, and we're likely to get more Amazons. Her arc is likely to wrap up neatly, and then down the line another vision can be realized.

The Wonder Woman brand is in the best place its been in decades, and the future looks bright, not dim.
    She is not effective in any other way. That is why she could do nothing to Doomsday outside sword and shield. Was easily put down by Superman and did nothing to Steppenwolf. She was created to be a heavy hitter, but now i have to settle to see her reduced to super human warrior only, that needs a sword to cause real damage to the big foe? No. I will never settle for that. That is far away from the real roots of the character.

The future of the WW brand does not look bright just because DC decided to have WW films after more than 50 years of doing the bare minimun with her. She still looks fragilñ as hell and weak as hell when fighting without her sword any big bad. And even in the comics her performances for most of her appearances these poast years are underwhelming. To me that is not a bright future. Bright future would be to see classic WW back. Not the super human Xena.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That's fair, and I don't disagree Diana gets short-changed a lot because DC decides her abilities crib on the territory of others (not allowed to be stronger than Superman because he's first, not allowed to be smarter than Batman because he's Batman, etc) but I guess that just leads to the issues of being in a shared universe. I guess it all depends on where that stuff falls under for you and I don't agree Diana being powerful is a part of a original conception and her appeal to many.
    WW being powerful is without a shadow of a doubt part of her original conception. And while it is not the only reason people like her. It is one of the factors. Unless you tell me that fans of Hulk, Superman, Thor etc do not like it when they seem do powerful stuff, and demand their powers to be reduced. We all know that is far away from the truth. So why is it such a big deal to want WW to do better and be treated with the same respect as a powerhouse? You think WW beatin up humans and fodder, and barely doing amnything without a sword when she faces a major opponent is good enough to enjoy the stories of a character, where powerful heroic stuff has always been part of her charm? This is super hero comics. Battle entertaiment is expected at least for me and many others. And what they are offering for current WW in that regard is not good enough in my book.

Yeah, Hulk and Thor fan comparisons are apt. Both fanbases lose it every time either of their faves are shown as weak whether it's the comics or the movies. Of course, they have a right to complain. Being physically powerful is part of their character.

When Martston created WW he specifically compared her to Hercules, Hermes and other Greek Gods specifically to show that she was just as capable, if not outright superior to them in terms of power. John Byrne had WW fight and defeat a Doomsday clone in the 80's specifically to show that she was just as powerful as Superman because DC at the time was skittish about admitting WW's actual strength levels. It's sad that a movie released in the teens can't match up to that standard. Asking for better/more isn't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yeah, Hulk and Thor fan comparisons are apt. Both fanbases lose it every time either of their faves are shown as weak whether it's the comics or the movies. Of course, they have a right to complain. Being physically powerful is part of their character.

When Martston created WW he specifically compared her to Hercules, Hermes and other Greek Gods specifically to show that she was just as capable, if not outright superior to them in terms of power. John Byrne had WW fight and defeat a Doomsday clone in the 80's specifically to show that she was just as powerful as Superman because DC at the time was skittish about admitting WW's actual strength levels. It's sad that a movie released in the teens can't match up to that standard. Asking for better/more isn't a bad thing.
    This is exactly what i mean. Thank you for understanding. Again, i never tried to tell others how they should feel. I just express my opinion, and ¡n my opinion. WW is not being treated well in terms of power. And being powerful is part of her character since day 1. So i feel that better action and feats should be expected.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 03-30-2021 at 03:30 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Like being able to hold off the weight of a collapsing bell tower for a while. Which weights more than 30 tons for sure.
    The one he hit his head on twice? That embarrassing display was a marvelous feat to you? Also if I’m thinking the correct scene he used an adhesive to assist. If Wonder Woman needed an outside tool to hold up a collapsing building rather than use her bare hands you’d have a fit.
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 03-30-2021 at 05:51 AM.

The one he hit his head on twice? That embarrassing display was a marvelous feat to you?
    The impressive part is that he held off the weight of that tower for a while. Did DCEU WW perform a feat like that? No. Her best is lifting 30 tons. Wow so impressive for a high tier. I guess she is not a high tier anymore. But i won't accept that, so i will complain about it in my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    Amen! This times 100. I'm old enough to remember a time when there wasn't even a single crumb in the media where WW was concerned. There was talk when I was in junior high of a syndicated tv show where Diana was a globe trotting archeology teacher (a la Secrets of Isis meets Indiana Jones), and there was talk of the possibilty of Sandra Bullock playing an amnesiac Donna Troy who inherits the mantle of WW while Diana is out of commission a few years after that, but otherwise....? NADA. Zippo. There was A Wonder Woman on TV, and her name was Xena.

I spent all of my formative years LONGING to see Diana in live action. At the tail end of HS, we got the JL cartoons, and even though I thought Diana was often WAAAY ooc, it was WW on tv, and I was in it.

Fast forward to my MIDDLE AGE, and there is finally this beautiful (inside AND out) actress bringing all of Diana's best qualities to the silver screen. For ME, and I'm sure for MANY Wonder Woman fans in my age group, we are not being served the "crumbs" others are complaining about, we are happily feasting on a full 3 course meal plus dessert.
    That is a good point. I never thought I'd actually see a good Wonder Woman movie in my life time, especially one that portrays her as a loving and compassionate hero instead of a sword-wielding warrior woman. If you think about it, she's actually the best and most accurately represented hero in the DCEU.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

It's not. There are definitely things in the DCEU Wonder Woman film series I'd like to see changed in a different film series.

But asking for the same thing over and over again and not really discussing anything else in her franchise gets really tiresome. And while the films are not perfect (especially the second), we should be grateful we finally have some films at all and hope it gets the ball rolling for future adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    That is a good point. I never thought I'd actually see a good Wonder Woman movie in my life time, especially one that portrays her as a loving and compassionate hero instead of a sword-wielding warrior woman. If you think about it, she's actually the best and most accurately represented hero in the DCEU.
    Her first film was a good solid start for an origin story. It is the rest of movies that feel underwhelming to me in the way they portray her. WW 84 where WW is Feeling lonely and still depressed over Steve after many decades, and her most important wish being to have steve back at all cost instead of for example, seeing her people again. Killing humans when it could have been avoided and being stomped by Superman in JL. Losing her powers for most of the movie, and then having an underwhelming fight with Cheetah, an opponent that was supposed to be the strongest foe ever that WW was going to fight at the peak of her power in WW84.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I get why strength is important to people, but for me it's more important that she's shown to be competent in other ways. The agility, dexterity, and skill she displays makes her a lot more fun to watch than flying brick characters. If she can go up against some mythical beasts, I'd love to see it.

I also think WW fans are overreacting a little to WW84 and any missteps in JLSC. You have a competent and beautiful actress inhabiting the role. The character had one great origin movie, several memorable and impressive scenes in two shared universe movies, and her sequel wasn't so bad that the third movie can't happen. Given how rocky and uncertain the DCEU is and how long Wonder Woman went without a big-screen presence, I'd say there's more to be grateful for. I'm sure they're going to try and please the fans with the third movie, and we're likely to get more Amazons. Her arc is likely to wrap up neatly, and then down the line another vision can be realized.

The Wonder Woman brand is in the best place its been in decades, and the future looks bright, not dim.
    Hmm, that's a good point. I remember thinking even when Gadot got cast for BvS I was still unconvinced it would lead to a WW solo film. It's fair to criticize DC for their general poor handling of the character across the decades but the past few years have been better than the before where it was some sub-par or terrible animated/video game adaptations in the decades between the 70s show ending.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-30-2021 at 06:17 AM.

Her first film was a good solid start for an origin story. It is the rest of movies that feel underwhelming to me in the way they portray her. WW 84 where WW is Feeling lonely and still depressed over Steve after many decades, and her most important wish being to have steve back at all cost instead of for example, seeing her people again. Killing humans when it could have been avoided and being stomped by Superman in JL. Losing her powers for most of the movie, and then having an underwhelming fight with Cheetah, an opponent that was supposed to be the strongest foe ever that WW was going to fight at the peak of her power in WW84.
    Well, I'm mostly talking about her own movies. But even in the Snyderverse she comes off much better than everyone else. Most people consider her the best part of BvS. In comparison Superman, Batman and their villains are horribly written. And I agree that her feats weren't great so far, but I'll take good characterization over feats any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Well, I'm mostly talking about her own movies. But even in the Snyderverse she comes off much better than everyone else. Most people consider her the best part of BvS. In comparison Superman, Batman and their villains are horribly written. And I agree that her feats weren't great so far, but I'll take good characterization over feats any day.
    Feats may not be everything. But they are important too. and after 4 movies, we should be seing a better WW when it comes to power and action. Because that is also part of her character.

Mighty Member

The impressive part is that he held off the weight of that tower for a while. Did DCEU WW perform a feat like that? No. Her best is lifting 30 tons. Wow so impressive for a high tier. I guess she is not a high tier anymore. But i won't accept that, so i will complain about it in my thread.
    I had to watch the scene again to make sure I didn’t miss Peter dead lifting that building, to realize he wasn’t even successful in holding it before having to drop it.

My proposal is to have Giganta as a villain that...I don’t know, Wonder Woman can pick up for a few seconds to move her to a less populated area to fight. Surely a fully sized gigantic woman is the proper benching weight?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I had to watch the scene again to make sure I didn’t miss Peter dead lifting that building, to realize he wasn’t even successful in holding it before having to drop it.

My proposal is to have Giganta as a villain that...I don’t know, Wonder Woman can pick up for a few seconds to move her to a less populated area to fight. Surely a fully sized gigantic woman is the proper benching weight?
    Giganta would be a great villain for a cold open, pre-title sequence.