Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time Runs Out?

Default Time Runs Out?

any new ideas/guesses what this is going to be about yet?

The conclusion of Jonathan Hickman's Avengers story.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Extraordinary Member

The Big Event that Reboots the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    nope. not gonna happen.

A conclusion to what Hickman has been doing in Avengers/New Avengers. The Illuminati, Namor's new Cabal, and the threat of incursions will be the focus.

Lol, no. Marvel has already dismissed the idea of Crisis' that reboot everything and none of their future plans indicate this at all.

There will be a soft/product reboot, though. All-New-Brand-New-Marvel-Right-Now or something.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    any new ideas/guesses what this is going to be about yet?

The white sale a JC Penny's ends and the MU is now going to have to settle for full priced bedding. This is what happens when you spend ALL of your time saving the universe. Poor bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    nope. not gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Lol, no. Marvel has already dismissed the idea of Crisis' that reboot everything and none of their future plans indicate this at all.

There will be a soft/product reboot, though. All-New-Brand-New-Marvel-Right-Now or something.
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility, actually. Why? We have to remember that, as a result of being acquired by Disney (and in some cases even before that) Marvel is no longer just a comic book company--they are now a multimedia entertainment company which not only includes comics but films and television programs. As we all know, the Marvel Studios films, Agents of SHIELD, and their upcoming Netflix originals all take place within the same "cinematic" universe. Even the cartoons of Disney XD are closer to the Marvel Cinematic Universe by design.

You know what is completely separate from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though? The comics.

Now you might think, "Well, what's so unusual about that? They've got a history going back 75 years, and it's not as if we haven't had film and television adaptations that were different than their comic book source material." True, but again: Marvel, because they part of Disney, are no longer just in the business of publishing comics. They are now in the business of licensing characters across multiple forms of media. And if you're going to be licensing characters across multimedia platforms, you have to create synergy and congruity between those mediums, i.e try to make the characters the same as possible regardless whether it be in a movie, video game, television show, cartoon, or comic. That's how Disney has been doing their cartoon characters for decades.

So if you're Marvel and you have a film and television universe featuring various IPs with their own distinctive backstory and continuity, and yet a comic book universe featuring those same IPs with different backstories and continuity, wouldn't it make sense from a strictly business standpoint to make them the same? You obviously can't do this with the films and television programs, but with comics, it's very easy and, more importantly, less expensive.

So what if instead of "rebooting" the 616 Universe, Marvel decides to use Hickman's Time Runs Out and Incursion storyline to literally transform the 616 into the cinematic universe? And not just with cosmetic changes like making the character's costume resemble the film version, or something like that. I mean making the character you see in the comic be the exact same version of the character, history and all, from the "cinematic universe." And Marvel actually did this, they wouldn't call it a "reboot," of course, because technically, the cinematic universe already exists. Instead, they'd call it a "restructuring" or "realignment" or "creating synergy between the films, television, and comics."
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility, actually. Why? We have to remember that, as a result of being acquired by Disney (and in some cases even before that) Marvel is no longer just a comic book company--they are now a multimedia entertainment company which not only includes comics but films and television programs. As we all know, the Marvel Studios films, Agents of SHIELD, and their upcoming Netflix originals all take place within the same "cinematic" universe. Even the cartoons of Disney XD are closer to the Marvel Cinematic Universe by design.

You know what is completely separate from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though? The comics.

Now you might think, "Well, what's so unusual about that? They've got a history going back 75 years, and it's not as if we haven't had film and television adaptations that were different than their comic book source material." True, but again: Marvel, because they part of Disney, are no longer just in the business of publishing comics. They are now in the business of licensing characters across multiple forms of media. And if you're going to be licensing characters across multimedia platforms, you have to create synergy and congruity between those mediums, i.e try to make the characters the same as possible regardless whether it be in a movie, video game, television show, cartoon, or comic. That's how Disney has been doing their cartoon characters for decades.

So if you're Marvel and you have a film and television universe featuring various IPs with their own distinctive backstory and continuity, and yet a comic book universe featuring those same IPs with different backstories and continuity, wouldn't it make sense from a strictly business standpoint to make them the same? You obviously can't do this with the films and television programs, but with comics, it's very easy and, more importantly, less expensive.

So what if instead of "rebooting" the 616 Universe, Marvel decides to use Hickman's Time Runs Out and Incursion storyline to literally transform the 616 into the cinematic universe? And not just with cosmetic changes like making the character's costume resemble the film version, or something like that. I mean making the character you see in the comic be the exact same version of the character, history and all, from the "cinematic universe." And Marvel actually did this, they wouldn't call it a "reboot," of course, because technically, the cinematic universe already exists. Instead, they'd call it a "restructuring" or "realignment" or "creating synergy between the films, television, and comics."
    Not gonna happen as its just not practical. Also, there is no business reason to do it, the comic side gets little bump due to the movies (despite what others might say).

That would suck big time.

I mean, they could always create a new line of comics from the 199999 universe (I think that's the MCU/television designation), but in essence "destroying" more than fifty years of continuity for the main characters, who all mainly originated in the 60s except for Cap, would be terrible, IMO.

I would most probably stop buying comics altogether if that happened.

Spectacular Member

We could maybe get a Crisis, and Marvel can pick and choose what history to keep. I don't see a full reboot coming. I mean, Marvel changes history all the time. Reed and Sue's courting was changed in Fraction's run just recently.

Incredible Member

^^^

Hasn't Marvel made all of it's money to farming out it's property to merchandising, toy companies, TV and movies for decade while making practically zilch from the comics themselves for decades now?

While thanks to their successful cinematic universe it's probably at it's peak I don't see in principal why they'd pull something like that now and not anytime before. Didn't they have a golden opportunity recently with Age of Ultron? Instead they opted to launch Marvel Now which at least "felt" like it was starting over with new #1s all stories that looked and even read very much like the cinematic universe and being continuity light gave a nice jumping on point for anyone who had watched those movies and wanted to check out the originals but more likely comic readers that hadn't touched a particular title or followed a particular character to give it a try confident they wont be confused. It seems to have worked so I don't think they'd risk what they've built in the last few years let alone in the last fifty.

Personally I think it's something of a work-around so Hickman can plow forward with his story without having to focus too much on the Axis shenanigans. It also conveniently seems that once Axis is finishing it's home stretch we may possibly get another event that wraps up Hickman's run.

Well, there is a rumor about that the 616 and the ultimate universe are going to crash.

did'nt Cap fracture the time gem back in the early issues of NA? could it be related to that incident

As much as I think this could happen, I'm not sure it will. They already release books based on the Movieverse and it doesn't really affect anything else, they could quite easily just produce books based on the Movieverse without impeding on the 616. Essentially how the Ultimate Universe works. I just think after Marvel putting all the effort into pushing "All-New Marvel Now" they wouldn't go back on all that just to "re-align". I just don't think that doing a DC would benefit them as much.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, there is a rumor about that the 616 and the ultimate universe are going to crash.
    I heard that too... But it was a rumour from like 2013, and realistically I would have thought it would have happened coming out of Age of Ultron/Cataclysm...

BANNED

I'm expecting a reboot too, but if Marvel was to go through the reboot process in that manner I'd probably find myself dropping Marvel entirely. For the most part, the Marvel Studio movies are good, but they're way too mainstream tone-wise, and practically all the movies have the same tone, and that makes them much, much less interesting than the comics we've had since...well, since forever.

Such a direction would severely handcuff any, and all, creativity. I'm sure a lot of writers would leave Marvel as well.