Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan was working, too, so could have earned enough to buy a place. But it seems more realistic that the connections he has to Alderaan plus other connections set him up. The cave is really about the deep hiding, while many are still actively hunting him. All I can figure is at some point the Empire stops doing that and turns its attention to other matters.

Also its feasible that Anakin starts changes his mind about wanting Obi-Wan to be dead. Remember, Anakin wants to show his former master that he is the better man who made the better choices. Can't do that if said master is dead.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I thought Reva was given a good death. But then I realized we will not be rid of her. Oh well, only the good die young.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought Reva was given a good death. But then I realized we will not be rid of her. Oh well, only the good die young.
    Yeah, she's slated for redemption arc. No matter how forced.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    All I can figure is at some point the Empire stops doing that and turns its attention to other matters.

Also its feasible that Anakin starts changes his mind about wanting Obi-Wan to be dead. Remember, Anakin wants to show his former master that he is the better man who made the better choices. Can't do that if said master is dead.
    I’m also beginning to come round to that idea that the rematch dual in the finale episode will result in Obi-Wan trying but unable to turn Anakin back to the light but still have him agreeing to the two of them going their separate ways but also saying that he will definitely kill Obi-Wan if he ever turns up and he sees him again. Remember Vader saying to Obi-Wan in ANH ‘You should not have returned’?

I can see why Reva is such a divisive character. I have some sympathy for her and I liked her conversation with Obi-Wan, but she should've been killed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I’m also beginning to come round to that idea that the rematch dual in the finale episode will result in Obi-Wan trying but unable to turn Anakin back to the light but still have him agreeing to the two of them going their separate ways but also saying that he will definitely kill Obi-Wan if he ever turns up and he sees him again. Remember Vader saying to Obi-Wan in ANH ‘You should not have returned’?
    Possibly. I wonder if one or both of them will learn how to become a Force Ghost and if there's going to be an implied meeting with Qui-Gon. I guess it kind of depends on if there's only supposed to be one season of this show or if there's some kind of sequel hook. Is this going to be their last meeting before ANH?

Mighty Member

Was it a perfect series? Nope. But it doesn't shatter continuity the way so many seemed to claim it would and it was pretty solid all around. I thought the finale was a bit rushed, overall, but landed it's major moments without any serious stumbles.

A bit predictable, in the end, unfortunately. But I still got the feels in all the right places, so I can't judge too harshly. I'm calling this one a win, in the end. Y'all's mileage may vary.

Incredible Member

Obi-Wan, my friend, you had ader at your mercy. He's a mass-murdering monster, KILL HIM AND PUT AN END TO THIS!

(I get this is a prequel and that couldn't happen, but still, it felt like, "dude, what are you doing"?)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Was it a perfect series? Nope. But it doesn't shatter continuity the way so many seemed to claim it would and it was pretty solid all around. I thought the finale was a bit rushed, overall, but landed it's major moments without any serious stumbles.

A bit predictable, in the end, unfortunately. But I still got the feels in all the right places, so I can't judge too harshly. I'm calling this one a win, in the end. Y'all's mileage may vary.
    Yeah, though perhaps not as good as The Mandalorian as you knew the stakes here were never that high it was definitely entertaining. I really enjoyed the scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the finale, even if we already did get the broken helmet with Ashoka on Rebels it was great to see here in live action and alough I've always been one to simply ignore the "from a certain point of view" line and just accept it as a plot change the bit here about, "you didn't fail Anakin, I killed him." did tie into that "deception" of Luke rather nicely.

With all the technical wizardly they can do these days, I'm left wondering if Liam Neeson was just being coy when asked about reprising Qui-Gon for tv when he said he only does movies so as not to spoil the scene here...or if he was being truthful, "from a certain point of view" and that this whole cameo (from the dialogue to the image of Qui-Gon) was entirely computer generated.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-22-2022 at 04:34 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Pretty good, but you could cut 2 episodes in the middle and make it into a movie

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, she's slated for redemption arc. No matter how forced.
    Any more forced that Vader's? Not killing Luke is apparently key to any Sith's redemption. If they do bring her back, she needs to make amends to that lady whose hand she lopped off. That was harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Obi-Wan, my friend, you had Vader at your mercy. He's a mass-murdering monster, KILL HIM AND PUT AN END TO THIS!
    (I get this is a prequel and that couldn't happen, but still, it felt like, "dude, what are you doing"?)
    Yeah, I just kept thinking of Alderan when Kenobi walked away. It was like.... umm... you might regret that.

Generally speaking, there has always been big plot holes and inconsistencies in Star Wars, so I don't know why people are getting up in arms about them now. Especially with tv shows 40 years later not being consistent with one line in another movie. It's always been a big, fun adventure franchise, where you need to turn your brain off. One could nitpick things like:
    - They kept saying how their time was running out at the beginning but there's no urgency, with Obi-Wan just having one conversation after another before actually leaving.
    - Why didn't Vader send fighters to pursue either the refugees or Obi-Wan?
    - How did Obi-Wan get past the destroyer after leaving Vader?

While I don't get why Vader would have left Reva alive and how a Youngling could've survived that wound in the first place, as someone more adept with the Force, it's not unheard of that she'd be able to hold herself together and survive.(I'm anticipating a lot of people complaining about that) Kylo Ren took a shot to the gut from Chewie's gun but was able to walk it off, though not without pain, which is how we see Reva here - definitely wounded and not at full strength, which is how Rey was able to stand up to Kylo and how Owen and Beru were able to last as long as they did as well.

The fight was pretty awesome and they really backloaded the end with tons of fanservice. I thought the finale was the strongest episode of the series.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-22-2022 at 05:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

That's pretty much how I felt about it. It checked all the boxes, but none of them in an overly satisfying way. Obi Wan gives line check, but only in the most obvious way, Obi "seeing" his master, check but not in any consequential way to the story itself, Reva redeemed, I guess but not in an overly satisfying way, improvement in the Ben Owen dynamic check though not sure why not like Ben saved Luke or anything, and finally all the pieces in place to protect canon for the most part, I guess so.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Any more forced that Vader's? Not killing Luke is apparently key to any Sith's redemption. If they do bring her back, she needs to make amends to that lady whose hand she lopped off. That was harsh.

Yeah, I just kept thinking of Alderan when Kenobi walked away. It was like.... umm... you might regret that.

Generally speaking, there has always been big plot holes and inconsistencies in Star Wars, so I don't know why people are getting up in arms about them now. Especially with tv shows 40 years later not being consistent with one line in another movie. It's always been a big, fun adventure franchise, where you need to turn your brain off. One could nitpick things like:
    - They kept saying how their time was running out at the beginning but there's no urgency, with Obi-Wan just having one conversation after another before actually leaving.
    - Why didn't Vader send fighters to pursue either the refugees or Obi-Wan?
    - How did Obi-Wan get past the destroyer after leaving Vader?

While I don't get why Vader would have left Reva alive and how a Youngling could've survived that wound in the first place, as someone more adept with the Force, it's not unheard of that she'd be able to hold herself together and survive.(I'm anticipating a lot of people complaining about that) Kylo Ren took a shot to the gut from Chewie's gun but was able to walk it off, though not without pain, which is how we see Reva here - definitely wounded and not at full strength, which is how Rey was able to stand up to Kylo and how Owen and Beru were able to last as long as they did as well.

The fight was pretty awesome and they really backloaded the end with tons of fanservice. I thought the finale was the strongest episode of the series.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong I loved the final it's jsut somethign I was thinking while watching.

There's also the fact that Star Wars tries to have every single product to be somewhat accessible and stand on his own, which is what I think causes some of the inconsistencies. Obi-Wan can't kill Vader not just because this is a prequel, because this is the ending to his arc in this series (and to a degree, Revenge of the Sith) and him moving on from Anakin and choosing mercy is the climax of this particular story, even if it isn't completely consistent with what will happen in the Original Trilogy. You want your own series to stand on his own and that means making some weird choices that work in isolation but not so much when put together.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Pretty good, but you could cut 2 episodes in the middle and make it into a movie
    My thinking too.

It was a good series overall. But some of the fat could have been cut off, the budget pumped up and it could have been a full-length film.

I really liked that fight between Obi-Wan and Vader (Vader got his sh!t kicked in) and seeing Qui-Gon again was an absolute delight. Seeing Palpatine too was good but he seemed a little subdued (we know how Ian McDiarmid can ham it up).

The show has been leading up to it, but the idea that Obi-Wan had to be ready before being able to see Qui-Gon raises an interesting question about Luke and why he was able to see Ben when he was, before his training. I guess it's just the whole, "The Force is strong with him?" Or was Qui-Gon just being withholding and not letting Obi-Wan see him until he thought Obi-Wan was ready. (the latter actually seems more like the typical Jedi dick move)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The show has been leading up to it, but the idea that Obi-Wan had to be ready before being able to see Qui-Gon raises an interesting question about Luke and why he was able to see Ben when he was, before his training. I guess it's just the whole, "The Force is strong with him?" Or was Qui-Gon just being withholding and not letting Obi-Wan see him until he thought Obi-Wan was ready. (the latter actually seems more like the typical Jedi dick move)
    The way I saw it was that Obi-Wan had kind of lost faith in the Force and so despite "trying" to commune with his former master he wasn't actually fully open to the Force where as Luke was all youthful exuberiance and willing to trust the Force implicitly.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!